Quick Question: White Rim Trail

• HTML tutorial

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

I am planning to run the White Rim trail this Saturday-Sunday with my brother! I will be in my new, stock T4R Off Road Premium. Do you think I will have any issues on the trail? I will have KO2s on the runner

Also, if I get on the trail at around 5-6pm, will I make it to the Airport to camp before nightfall? Will I have enough time on Sunday to finish? Just a new guy here that's all. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I've run the trail back in 2012 in 2003 Trailblazer, which got myself and the wife into Overlanding. Yes, you can make it to Airport it might be closer to dusk.

You won't have any problems. The trail is bumpy, but I can't see you having any problems at all with your rig.

Make sure to check conditions at the visitor center. And did you get a backcountry permit for Airport? It's required and they do check. Spotted rangers out there this year checking.

I go out on the White Rim every time we visit Moab, was just out there in May. It's a beautiful place. Enjoy your adventure.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

I've run the trail back in 2012 in 2003 Trailblazer, which got myself and the wife into Overlanding. Yes, you can make it to Airport it might be closer to dusk.

You won't have any problems. The trail is bumpy, but I can't see you having any problems at all with your rig.

Make sure to check conditions at the visitor center. And did you get a backcountry permit for Airport? It's required and they do check. Spotted rangers out there this year checking.

I go out on the White Rim every time we visit Moab, was just out there in May. It's a beautiful place. Enjoy your adventure.
There is a permit available, do I only have to buy the one for the airport for $30? I felt like I saw somewhere I need a permit to camp, and a permit in general...

Thanks for the info!

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Technically you're supposed to check in and get a day permit (free) to drive on the Rim so they know whose out there. Getting the Camping permit probably entails that. So you should be covered.
Awesome, thanks. Also, in the online reservation it is asking me for entry and exit points, any ideas what those would be typically?

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

We ended up going to the San Rafael Swell when we found out it was impassable at one part. How was your run?! We are hoping to go soon. We will actually be down in Moab on the 7-8th, but not sure if we will have time to run it....
Ahh yes the swell was bone dry when we passed through. It went very well!! .. 2 half days, no reservations so we found our own spot to camp, went through a half tank of gas (although I brought extra just in case), we saw 3 other SUV's over that time, definitely worth doing again!

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Ahh yes the swell was bone dry when we passed through. It went very well!! .. 2 half days, no reservations so we found our own spot to camp, went through a half tank of gas (although I brought extra just in case), we saw 3 other SUV's over that time, definitely worth doing again!

Sounds awesome. We are actually going to be going to Moab this weekend, planning on rolling into town at about 10 or 11, and having to be back at the hotel by 6 (work thing) then hitting some trails Sunday until about 3 then heading home. Anything you would recommend? It is hard to plan around that schedule haha

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

Sounds awesome. We are actually going to be going to Moab this weekend, planning on rolling into town at about 10 or 11, and having to be back at the hotel by 6 (work thing) then hitting some trails Sunday until about 3 then heading home. Anything you would recommend? It is hard to plan around that schedule haha
You have enough time to do Hells Revenge, it took me about 5 hours to do my first time stock (not much off road experience). This past weekend we did it in 2 hours with a 3 inch lift. Other than that I'm not familiar with their short trails.

Oh also check out Shafer Canyon, doing that first part should only be a few hours but you get those amazing views and awesome pics.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are easy. And don't chicken out on the obstacles. I've done them with a stock fullsize 3/4 ton truck. Top of the World is always a must do too. You'll have loads of fun. Also yes, the Switchbacks and White Rim are worth seeing. I love going out there.

And if you have time, Elephant Hill is a blast. And beautiful. And since you're in a smaller vehicle, this won't be as much of a challenge:

I always recommend if you are going to Moab, and plan to go back again, pick up a FunTreks Guide. They are very useful. Well, all but the ratings. The ratings are crap. I've done most of all the stuff they've labeled as not possible for a truck. Pretty sure the ratings are based around stock vehicles, like a Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee. But there are plenty of details and GPS cords with maps of each trail and obstacles.

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are easy. And don't chicken out on the obstacles. I've done them with a stock fullsize 3/4 ton truck. Top of the World is always a must do too. You'll have loads of fun. Also yes, the Switchbacks and White Rim are worth seeing. I love going out there.

And if you have time, Elephant Hill is a blast. And beautiful. And since you're in a smaller vehicle, this won't be as much of a challenge:

I always recommend if you are going to Moab, and plan to go back again, pick up a FunTreks Guide. They are very useful. Well, all but the ratings. The ratings are crap. I've done most of all the stuff they've labeled as not possible for a truck. Pretty sure the ratings are based around stock vehicles, like a Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee. But there are plenty of details and GPS cords with maps of each trail and obstacles.
Sir,
Curious if you have run Lockhart Basin, we will be heading up there this Sept, and one of the rigs joining is fairly stock and I am curious how the first mile REALLY is.

Thanks!

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Sir,
Curious if you have run Lockhart Basin, we will be heading up there this Sept, and one of the rigs joining is fairly stock and I am curious how the first mile REALLY is.

Thanks!
If your buddy is in a Taco like you, you should be mostly fine. It kind of depends on whose spotting and the driver. :grimacing: It's like Seven Mile which is supposed to be harder. Watch your rockers. What size tires is he running?

The mistakes people make are not getitng out to look at obstacles. Watched some guys the first year try taking a short cut, get stuck. They were convinced there was no way I was making it up the Waterfall on Poison Spider in our stock Power Wagon. Wife and I walked it, I told her where I wanted wheels and the truck. She guided me up. Boom, done.

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

If your buddy is in a Taco like you, you should be mostly fine. It kind of depends on whose spotting and the driver. :grimacing: It's like Seven Mile which is supposed to be harder. Watch your rockers. What size tires is he running?

The mistakes people make are not getitng out to look at obstacles. Watched some guys the first year try taking a short cut, get stuck. They were convinced there was no way I was making it up the Waterfall on Poison Spider in our stock Power Wagon. Wife and I walked it, I told her where I wanted wheels and the truck. She guided me up. Boom, done.
He is in an 05 Tundra, with 33's I believe and should have sliders on by then. I usually end up running point (also useful as I am usually the only one w a winch) so should be able to spot him through. Ill make sure to get him out somewhere and see how his driving is. He has done some desert racing and minor wheeling, but I have never done a run w him to know.

Reactions: OffroadTreks