First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Howdy - Alain here...

A friend and I are looking for a short off grid overlanding option in the Eastern Colorado area. Since I'm more familiar with W. CO and UT, I was wondering if anybody from the area might have a suggestion for a good area?

We are specifically looking for remote spots with as few other people as possible. He has a pickup, so we can't go too extreme. Also, due to the early season (plan is to head out 5/16, get back 5/25), probably can't get up too high. Would be nice to just relax in the wilderness with a view of the mountains, and maybe a lake...

Any suggestions? Checked Gaia, but doesn't seem to be a lot of public lands yet in that area.

Thanks!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

So you are looking for areas along the Front Range? North or South?

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
So you are looking for areas along the Front Range? North or South?
Yeah. Probably South of Denver. Was looking at Hermit Pass, but probably too early to get up to the lake to camp?Screenshot 2018-05-03 10.36.21.png

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Yeah, I'm sure there will be too much snow for that. My mom has a place there in Westcliffe, so I've gone up Hermit a couple of times. There are a few places to camp going up, but nothing really close to the lake that I recall.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Wotan

I suggest Shavano Mountain west of Salida. It's about 9000 feet but I used to camp thre in late May/Early June to go white water rafting. There used to be some nice boondocking spots up road 251, but I've not been up there since the fire a few years ago.

There is not much out in SE Co by way of NF ground. Up north there is Soapstone Prairie Area and Pawnee Ntl. Grasslands both used to be good for seeing the stars but these days the frontrange lights mess up the skys up there, and the Blinking windmills and Fracking rigs are even worse.

Boort

Reactions: Wotan

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Comanche National Grassland, south of La Junta, has some pretty dark skies for astrophotoraphy. Not much else out there... well, some dinosaur tracks if you are interested in that sort of thing. Its a long way for the mountains though.

Reactions: Boort

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
@Wotan

I suggest Shavano Mountain west of Salida. It's about 9000 feet but I used to camp thre in late May/Early June to go white water rafting. There used to be some nice boondocking spots up road 251, but I've not been up there since the fire a few years ago.

There is not much out in SE Co by way of NF ground. Up north there is Soapstone Prairie Area and Pawnee Ntl. Grasslands both used to be good for seeing the stars but these days the frontrange lights mess up the skys up there, and the Blinking windmills and Fracking rigs are even worse.

Boort
Thanks. I'll check that one out as well...

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm a newb just now finding this thread. What did you ultimately decide?

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I'm a newb just now finding this thread. What did you ultimately decide?
We went to Angel of Shavano campground. A bit chilly, but we had the place to ourselves. A great getaway!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
@Wotan

Any run in's with the local Mountain Goats? We used to have them come down to greet us every morning.

Boort
@Boort:

Nope. Other than chipmunks, no wildlife to see really.

Loved that creek BTW/. Besides the soothing sound going to sleep in the tent right next to it, used my Platypus to get water out of it, filter, and use for drinking and all our other water needs. I got a carton of drinking water at the Walmart in Pueblo, but didn't need it (other than while driving.)

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Last edited:

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

@Wotan How do you like that solar panel? I've got a rigid 100w panel that I'd like to replace with something more portable. I'd like one I could lay across the windshield without worrying about it scratching the glass and one that would lay relatively flat against it.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
@Wotan How do you like that solar panel? I've got a rigid 100w panel that I'd like to replace with something more portable. I'd like one I could lay across the windshield without worrying about it scratching the glass and one that would lay relatively flat against it.
Loved it. Initially bought a 105W panel, which I gave to my wife as a backup for her generator (conversion van for dog shows...)

I bought the 120W version instead (https://amzn.to/2xmqcih) and replaced the controller it came with (PWM) with an MPPT one (https://amzn.to/2Jaetbp). Even with only marginal sun, it kept the battery pretty much topped off. I was charging my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch in the mornings and evenings, and my fridge was running the whole time.IMG_1023.jpg IMG_1022.jpg

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Here's a short video showing our campsite.

The MSR is mine (opted for the 4-season and the 20F bag...) The mansion in blue is my friend Glenn's. He brought his genny and chainsaw for firewood :)

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Here's a quick cut video from our drive up to North Fork Reservoir. We tried to get to Billings Lake and mining area, but there was still too much snow on the trail to make it all the way up.

The trail is an easy-going drive; regular SUV can do this one... [NOTE: The music is an 'internal' joke between Glenn and me :)]