Quick jaunt through Sedona AZ, heading south of Green Valley- suggestions please

• HTML tutorial

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Taking a solo trip to visit family south of Tucson via the Sedona area. Looking for any suggestions for dispersed camping, trails to see, etc. Leaving this Sunday and wishing to arrive south of Tucson on Wednesday afternoon. Thanks to all who have posted GPX files and gps coordinates for recent trips. Looking for a relaxing, picturesque trip without burning out my wife with lots of driving each day. Any suggestions most welcome! Thanks in advance!

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Be aware that there have been several Flash Floods in Arizona, New River, Phoenix basin and Tucson. Some of the National Forest near Flagstaff have been closed due to fires in the area, I'd check with Prescott, Kaibab and Coconino. Our drive to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon the week before Mothers Day; was seriously delayed by traffic and pedestrian's. Enjoy - Sedona is magical. DcG

Reactions: Roger 2486

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Be aware that there have been several Flash Floods in Arizona, New River, Phoenix basin and Tucson. Some of the National Forest near Flagstaff have been closed due to fires in the area, I'd check with Prescott, Kaibab and Coconino. Our drive to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon the week before Mothers Day; was seriously delayed by traffic and pedestrian's. Enjoy - Sedona is magical. DcG
Many thanks for the information and your response. Much appreciated!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

You should miss most of the weekend traffic from people trying to escape the heat in the valley but if you want some entirely wife-approved picturesque views, definitely hit Schnebly Hill. Passable in a Subaru from top to bottom (freeway into Sedona) if you can pick a line or you can run it out of Sedona up to the 17 if you've got a little more clearance.

You will need to call ahead or be ready for closures as was said though... fires cleared a lot of brush and then we got more rain in a day (within an extended weekend of storms) than last year's monsoon season. Some trails might have some new interesting spots that weren't there before and I know a lot of the forestry land has been closed off until they can assess.

Reactions: Roger 2486

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Thanks all for the input, advice and suggestions. We started from the 17 side from Flagstaff and completed Schnebly Hill Road, followed by Broken Arrow trail, then spent the night and following day on Forest Road 525 exploring all the adjoining trails including Outlaw Trail. Sadly, we came upon a pretty bad side by side collision involving some teens, who rolled. Luckily we had a robust trauma kit (I’m a retired paramedic of many years) and rendered aid to all until EMS arrived and ultimately flew one them by helicopter from the scene to a trauma center due to the severity of his injuries. I got word last night he’s doing well and will recover well despite having some long lasting orthopedic issues. I cannot begin to explain the value in being prepared and having a kit…you just never know. We thens spent some time in Sedona and left some $$$ supporting the local econmy. The views and landscape were spectacular and well worth the journey. We did have some weathe, slipping our way through some of the trails but the views were epic. I only got one “turn this Jeep around” moment from my better half…but she didn’t shank me in my sleep so all is good! On our way south we spent some time at our final trail on this trip at Table Mesa Road before pushing on to see family south of Tucson. Great trip, looking forward to the next journey for sure. Many thanks again!