Quick & Easy Packaged Eats/Drinks

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

What are some of the packaged eats/drinks you enjoy on the road that maybe some of us don't know about?

I do intermittent fasting so my food needs are quite low, I eat maybe once or twice a day when I'm on the road. To that end I never drank the Skottle/Dometic kool-aid. I barely cook at home and I really don't feel like sticking a kitchen and a pantry in the truck. I have a single-burner Coleman stove that's about 20 years old that I use to boil water and cook food with, and sometimes I'll bring a grill to throw on top of a fire to burn stuff but most of my trail food will never end up on Instagram.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Some of my recommendations.

1. IndoMie Instant Noodles - Not to be confused with those crappy Maruchan ramen, these are also boil & go but they taste so much better. You can usually find these in Asian grocery stores. IndoMie is an Indonesian brand but there's Filipino versions also.

2. Vinacafe 3-in-1 Instant Coffee. Found these on sale at the local asian grocery store. Surprisingly good, actually I find it a bit too strong, came out to about $0.20 cents per serving.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I do a lot of wraps....I'll take a Romaine lettuce leaf and wrap it around a piece of sandwich meat and cheese or take a piece of turkey sandwich meat and wrap it around a carrot stick or pickle. Quick and easy and really nothing to clean up.

Reactions: Desert Runner

JBADwolf

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whidbey Island, Washington, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
BadWolf
+1 for Mountain House Products! Super easy, but they get expensive really fast at 5-7$/meal.
My Suggestions:
-Ramen is so easy, and very tolerant to customization: add hand torn deli meat *(like sliced chicken or turkey sandwich meat), mix in an egg or two, chilis, cheese chunks, edamame beans... pretty easy to switch it up
-Burritos (like wraps) can be made with anything, and for a super easy mid-day snack a tortilla with peanut butter and banana is legit!
- Wraps as previously mentioned are just like sandwich burritos lol... great choice
-chili with chopped andoulli or kielbasa sausage or baked beans and the sausage works too
-pasta: there are even 'quick boil' varieties now, cook, strain, and toss with sauce over heat. Marinara, Alfredo, Vodka sauce... so many options
-Pretty much any pre-made store shelf meal can be enhanced with just a few simple ingredients!

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Our go to camping meals are usually mountain house, some pasta, a small pack of hot dogs, and bread. These things are easier to store, except the hot dogs which we finish in one meal. For drinks we have water, natural juice boxes and shelf stable milk for the kids. I like the Nuun tabs. They are little energy tabs you drop in water; it makes a fizzy drink. What ever we do we try not to have any left overs as we don't have a fridge, just a cooler.

Reactions: Nikita_Black

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
What are some of the packaged eats/drinks you enjoy on the road that maybe some of us don't know about?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the road, Homemade iced coffee with liquid flavored (Hazelnut/French Vanilla) coffee creamer. I bring a large flask + the filled 44 oz. drinking cup. With sugar free, the carbs/calories are greatly reduced, and it's a whole lot cheaper than Starbucks, and a much larger cup than McDonald's. Again homemade=less calories and carbs, and i have the tendency too drink it like a fish. Some beef jerky as a snack along with 'Cheese it's' crackers. I also love cheese sticks in a little travel cooler. If it's a multiple hour long trip, some deli meat is also a go food. I try to limit hamburger type meals, as i want to limit any possible gut issues while on the road. Any cooking is left to arriving at the destination, not on road travel.

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
These little Jimmy Dean Scrambles make a fast, quick and easy to clean up breakfast on the camp stove. No grease to deal with, no eggs to store, everything is water tight so no meaty cooler water and only dirties the skillet or pot it is cooked in.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I try and stop at Mountain House every few months and look for on sale items. I buy #10 tins and then double seal them with oxysorbs in small single use portions. All I need to do is boil water. I bought a Jerky gun and make my own Jerky. I eat better on the road than I do at home. I spend more time making coffee than anything else.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
"I spend more time making coffee than anything else."

Very true......morning AM=HOT
Midday..............................=ICED/COLD
Dinner.........EVENING PM=EITHER

Traveling perference is cold coffee over a soda on the road.

Costco dark roast (green/brown can) is very good. Make it a STRONG Rich brew! The price is reasonable, and it still comes in a metal can, like your grandmother/mom bought!
I have done the butter lettuce wrap,...exotic snack(low calorie). Spicy filling =tasty:grinning:. Think...... PF Changs dinner staple....for an entree.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I do a lot of wraps....I'll take a Romaine lettuce leaf and wrap it around a piece of sandwich meat and cheese or take a piece of turkey sandwich meat and wrap it around a carrot stick or pickle. Quick and easy and really nothing to clean up.
This, but I'll carry a pack of flour tortillas. I'll also carry a handful of mustard and mayo packets. Toss in whatever fixings you have, wrap it up, eat, carry on. I find on trips where we stop for lunch, I'm already napping on my tailgate while others are still prepping lunch..

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Pemmican.

I make Nori Pemmican for backpacking which I keep stowed in my Hill People bag on my chest. It keeps me going for hours without having to stop to refuel. If you're fat-adapted you'll be able to keep this handy and drive all day without getting hungry.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Pemmican.

I make Nori Pemmican for backpacking which I keep stowed in my Hill People bag on my chest. It keeps me going for hours without having to stop to refuel. If you're fat-adapted you'll be able to keep this handy and drive all day without getting hungry.
Thats a great idea I didn't know...I have a Keto book with similar stuff, but not this one. Also thanks for the link to Hill People, very interesting site, they also linked trailcooking.com on one of their pages. MORE great stuff!