Enthusiast I

Randleman, Randolph County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Service Branch
U.S. Army
So i am new to overlanding and jumping in like most....head first. My question is, what are some issues that have come to light when overlanding with a pup? What are some overlooked items you have discovered that were invaluable once you were out in the field? and does anyone have any first hand experience with kennels like the Gunner Kennels that can be strapped in the bed of the vehicle. Thanks and any information will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: El-Dracho

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My hound had a hard time settling down at night the first few times. Then it hit me to bring her bed from home along. Boom, she’s almost asleep before I am most trips now.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Our Dufus (Harly) goes everywhere with us. All just started with a trip when I took him as a puppy. Mine is happy as long as he has a ball and not fussed to much on where he sleeps. But when he is cold and tired he waits at the tent door to go to bed.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
First of all, the pet should of course feel comfortable on the road, camping, in the vehicle. So it's best to take things with you that are familiar to your pet, such as the dog's favorite blanket, toys, and so on. Please also remember that it can quickly become extremely hot in a vehicle and even life-threatening for living creatures. Unfortunately, tragic things happen again and again, so that we cannot point it out often enough. At this point I would also think about the safe transport of the pet in the rig. So how does the pet feel comfortable on the trip and how is it safe in the car, for example in case of an accident (sometimes there are exact regulations in countries also for this), once for the pet and also for you.

Additionally, I would think about the mandatory vaccinations and documents for the respective travel region. This can be a real challenge for us overlanders depending on the travel area. Think also of other country-specific regulations, e.g. muzzle obligation or leash obligation in public transport while on excursions or on ferries.

Carry a first aid kit for your pet. Prepare and train for possible first aid situations, just as you regularly do for humans (there are even first aid courses for dogs). For countries where you do not speak and understand the language, it is helpful to write down the most important terms around the pet in the local language beforehand, e.g. for a visit to the vet. You could also use a pointing dictionary for this which helps also in other situations.

Properly prepared, it's cool to be able to take your pet with you when you travel. Enjoy!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Our goldendoodle goes camping with us at least once a month and often for a week or so....
My son takes his res dog (kind of a cow dog mix) camping a bunch also.

bringfido.com is a great resource for dog parks, places to eat and more with your dog.

We actually enjoy stopping at small town dog parks as we pass thru.....many of the Love's truck stops have a dog park now.

Some of the lessons learned:
-skunks suck
-our dog loves to dig in any hole that might have a critter
-if you go into snake country you really should get your dog snake trained
-we have a van so the dog can move around to his own bench seat, on top of the fridge and of course my wife's lap in the front seat
-get an E-collar and teach your dog they can roam around camp as long as they can see you, makes your life easier and I wish I could have used it on my son's when they were little :)
20230905_091809.jpg
20230903_100348.jpg

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
A few things, from watching others with dogs:

• Ticks are an issue in many places check your dog everyday, they are easier to deal with right away and less chance of tick related illness
  • Raised dog beds are great to keep your dog out of the dirt and crap on the ground
  • If there are other dogs make sure that they are ok around yours
  • Let people know if you dog has socialization issues
  • And finally be aware of the trails you take some dogs are ok on smoother stuff no so much on rocky travel

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
We take ours everywhere. Since day one. Riding in the car is fine. She sleeps in her kennel on the back seat or in my wives lap. She is an explorer, but really wants to be wherever we are. We just take her food, blankets and a few toys. Treats for when she really listens. She is 10 months so always training. Sleeps in the tent like a dead dog. Only once a massive thunderstorm at night has had her nervous. We keep her on a Leash or long lead all the time. But most we are camping at lakes with our boat. She is on the boat all the time with us. Taught her to pee on the back swim platform. Usually tuckered out around the fire at night.

IMG_2116.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My 2 dogs come with me on every trip.
They're wearing a harness that's attached to rollcage, so they don't go anywhere in the event of an accident.
Once at the destination, they're on 20' cables. Sadly they're not allowed to roam, as they have high hunting drive and will be gone for half the day.
20231122_124510.jpg