Questions about dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Yeah, I have a Galaxy S6 and works fine when I've lost signal. I'm using Gaia and Earthmate as I did buy an Inreach+ for piece of mind. While Earthmate Nav isn't "great" it does what it's intended for. I know GAIA you have to download maps ahead of time as well. I'm still learning the whole Nav thing, but I'm getting there. I think I need to invest in a tablet as trying to zoom and pan on a phone, Inreach or 7" screen on my Android radio is a pain. Plus then I can dedicate BT between Inreach+ and the tablet. My phone usually goes to radio for tunes.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@SAC-CA-Runner

I wonder if the GPS could be disabled in the AT&T builds Much like the FM radios are in many of the Samsung Phones to force you to pay for more data.

I can say the tablet we had on our last trip worked out great. Much easier than using a cell or the In dash NAV in the truck I was riding in.

Boort

Reactions: SAC-CA-Runner

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Yeah, I have a Galaxy S6 and works fine when I've lost signal. I'm using Gaia and Earthmate as I did buy an Inreach+ for piece of mind. While Earthmate Nav isn't "great" it does what it's intended for. I know GAIA you have to download maps ahead of time as well. I'm still learning the whole Nav thing, but I'm getting there. I think I need to invest in a tablet as trying to zoom and pan on a phone, Inreach or 7" screen on my Android radio is a pain. Plus then I can dedicate BT between Inreach+ and the tablet. My phone usually goes to radio for tunes.

This is why I bought a 7-inch tablet. Recently picked up an iPad Mini 3 from the refurbished section on Apple store. 128gb model with wifi+cellular. Set it up in my rig with a Ram mount.

Been working out great, and have been really happy. Also dumped my entire music library on there, so it's also doing secondary duty as the media center in the vehicle. And makes looking up things a hell of a lot easier. Plus, since I can just leave it in the craddle hooked up to the truck all the time, I can jump out and take photos with my phone a lot easier now, than having to unplug the phone, switch apps, and hope the bluetooth connect works or nothing screws up when I get back in the truck.

It's worth the investment dude, you won't regret getting a tablet. I pretty much have stopped using any other GPS devices. Gaia GPS on a tablet is fantastic.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Jumping in on this topic a bit late. I've only done dispersed or primitive camping in the last year or so (e.g., BLM land or fire roads). The few times I've done an over-nighter on back roads or fire roads I was on my own and I just sleep in the rig. I only will do dispersed camping with the family in areas I'm comfortable with from a safety standpoint. Question out to the group, if you're out exploring with the family in an area you're not terribly familiar with, do you have any safety concerns staying overnight at a makeshift site you stumbled across or a turnoff? And if so, how do you mitigate them?
Normally a 45 will mitigate intruders. Really regardless of state carry it, better asked "if than he "should have"

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: LostInSocal

NPA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
I highly recommend an app called Allstays. It was 10 bucks, but it paid for itself in a few days. We fulltime travel, and use it exclusively to find our campsites. It lists tons of dispersed camping areas in NF and other areas. It has a map with icons you can filter through, and when you choose one it links to google maps or a website for more info. We find lots of free or really cheap spots this way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Gonna check out this app- I've usually just used freecampsite dot net previously.