jgould

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Circleville, OH
Member #

Greetings,

As I start to plan out my build using my 2008 Jeep Patriot as a platform, I run across an important issue: storage. One complaint I have about this vehicle is it's utter lack of storage, and as I generally do an overnight here and and overnight there, I am thinking that I can use a rubbermaid tub to store dry goods, small backpacking stove, and the like. One thing I've not figured out is water storage.

I generally sleep inside the cabin (I've not slept anywhere else yet and while I want an RTT, it's not in the budget, but the roof is occupied by antennas anyway.) So that means that the available space is already at a premium. My current sleeping mat is a twin sized memory foam mattress pad, which works well, but is bulky even when rolled up and compressed and I'm thinking about switching to a self inflating pad and sleeping bag for that part (gives me back some room when I am not sleeping.

Clothes are packable into a backpack (along with portable comms, as well as laptop and tablet.) I predict the rubbermaid tub will work for dry goods, but I'm at a loss about what to do for the water...

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

VanIsleGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Kitsap, WA, USA
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
Black
You dont mention how much water you need to carry. I use a Reliant Aquatainer. 2 if i bring the missuz and 2 kids. It is square shaped and is very rigid making it easy to pack amongst other stuff. You have probably seen one. When I set up camp with the Xterra, I have a small REI rolltop table for the water and sundries. I looked at some pictures and the Pariot's cargo area is nice and flat making it easy to build a simple rigid cargo shelf and vertical divider underneath. Nothing fancy. 3/4" ply covered in speaker carpet would do. Then you can reserve the floor on the passenger side for sleeping and cram gear on the drivers side and on top of the shelf. McGyver a cargo mesh forward of the shelf to stop gear from falling on to the rear seat during braking and descents.

Let us know if that sparks any ideas.

jgould

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Circleville, OH
Member #

You dont mention how much water you need to carry. I use a Reliant Aquatainer. 2 if i bring the missuz and 2 kids. It is square shaped and is very rigid making it easy to pack amongst other stuff. You have probably seen one. When I set up camp with the Xterra, I have a small REI rolltop table for the water and sundries. I looked at some pictures and the Pariot's cargo area is nice and flat making it easy to build a simple rigid cargo shelf and vertical divider underneath. Nothing fancy. 3/4" ply covered in speaker carpet would do. Then you can reserve the floor on the passenger side for sleeping and cram gear on the drivers side and on top of the shelf. McGyver a cargo mesh forward of the shelf to stop gear from falling on to the rear seat during braking and descents.

Let us know if that sparks any ideas.
I have a large auqatainer somewhere at home. For just me, it wouldn't need to be more than a few gallons of water at most. The thought of a half width shelf never really crossed my mind, that might not be a bad option. Now to start drawing up plans...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jgould

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Circleville, OH
Member #

A roofrack will free up lot's of space...and you can mount the antenna's there as well ?...with smaller vehicles space is an issue, have to get creative....
Only issue with that is the antenna that's mounted up there now is a through the roof NMO mount...

Now you've got me thinking about adding another mount to the lift gate and moving the primary VHF/UHF antenna over there... that would free up the existing mount...

Hmm. Decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Depending on the type of terrain you plan on conquering, a hitch mount cargo carrier can be very useful. Easy to remove, immediate access and less than $100 for 500 lbs capacity. If you go with some nice weather proof containers like Luis Merlo you can set them outside while sleeping and inside for travel. Also don't underestimate the power of compression sacks. Clothes, sleeping pad, blankets can all squish really well. I didn't think too much of them until my wife got a few. She was able to downsize her luggage considerably.

Reactions: Luis Merlo