WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I've got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler and the driver's side fender is trashed. I'm looking at replacing them with Metalcloak Overland fenders (the most amount of coverage). My question is will these fenders prohibit me from crossing the US/Canada border? I've been hearing stories about vehicle mods causing issues and am trying to figure out which way to go.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I would recommend contacting the Canadian Border officials directly for an answer. One person's experience at a particular crossing may differ from someone else's at another location.

But, until world gubment's decide covid is no longer a health emergency, it's a moot point. Americans aren't getting into Canada right now, with the exception of limited through travel to AK.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I would recommend contacting the Canadian Border officials directly for an answer. One person's experience at a particular crossing may differ from someone else's at another location.

But, until world gubment's decide covid is no longer a health emergency, it's a moot point. Americans aren't getting into Canada right now, with the exception of limited through travel to AK.
Thanks for the response. I know the border is currently closed but I was hoping for some more general guidance from people who have traveled north previously. I have an email out to the Canadian Border Agancy. So we'll see what they say.

PS. We're neighbors... I live over in Charles Town. lol.

Reactions: John Bishop

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

[QUOTE="wvjeeper, post: 528569, member: 47235"

PS. We're neighbors... I live over in Charles Town. lol.
[/QUOTE]
You may have seen me running around town then. I have a silver '17 JKU with an Ursa Minor top.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
You may have seen me running around town then. I have a silver '17 JKU with an Ursa Minor top.
I don't believe I've seen that Jeep... The Ursa Minor is on my list to order this year. Man, I'd love to see your vehicle. I have a Silver 2015 Wrangler myself. It's in my garage right now, just threw a P0205 on me so I'm tearing it down to t-shoot and probably replace a fuel injector.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Yeah so canada tends to be a little tighter on stuff than most, but not all, states. I can't speak to everything they flag but good rules of thumb are:
- non-primary lights should have covers over them (light bars, ditch lights, aux fog lamps, etc).
-tires should stick out no farther than 1/2" beyond edge of fenders.
-front bumper should extend at least as wide as the tires (idea being that the path of your tire needs to be at least partially obstructed)

But again, contacting the border is your best bet.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
Yeah so canada tends to be a little tighter on stuff than most, but not all, states. I can't speak to everything they flag but good rules of thumb are:
- non-primary lights should have covers over them (light bars, ditch lights, aux fog lamps, etc).
-tires should stick out no farther than 1/2" beyond edge of fenders.
-front bumper should extend at least as wide as the tires (idea being that the path of your tire needs to be at least partially obstructed)

But again, contacting the border is your best bet.
Thanks for the info. My bumper is a mid-width so that sounds like no go. Tires are out about 2" from the edge of the fender. There's another no go. Sounds expensive to re-replace wheels and fenders just for a Candian camping trip at some point. I'll have to think about it. But yea, I already emailed the Canadian Border Agency for direction as well.

Reactions: Shakes355

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Different provinces have different rules. And it depends on the border guy you get as well. See what they say before you go about correcting modifications

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Limited experience here but crossing in Buffalo, I've definitely seen a few Jeeps pass through that weren't compliant with Canadian laws. I think for temporary stays, they're a fair bit more lenient as long as your vehicle is somewhat reasonable. I guess I'll be finding out one way or the other because we are looking to head back up there next year and my truck will soon fail the bumper and the fender test.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
Limited experience here but crossing in Buffalo, I've definitely seen a few Jeeps pass through that weren't compliant with Canadian laws. I think for temporary stays, they're a fair bit more lenient as long as your vehicle is somewhat reasonable. I guess I'll be finding out one way or the other because we are looking to head back up there next year and my truck will soon fail the bumper and the fender test.
Yea, I'd be crossing over from Maine. So Quebec more than likely unless I head coastal then it would be New Brunswick.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Sounds like your Jeep would not pass inspections in most states, Pennsylvania included. I used to go into and out of Canada at least twice a week for just about 20 years. I’ve seen everything and a lot of angry guys in modified vehicles making the proverbial U turn and headed back. Your tires sticking out two inches would fail you in most all states with inspections. When your Jeep would pass in most states, then you’d be good getting into and out of Canada with ease.. tips - # 1 no matter what, be polite, without kissing butt. Be polite, even if they’re having a bad day, Be polite. Tip # 2 Be Polite. # 3. Polite you shall be #4 unless you are crystal clean with nary a thing out of place, use the busy crossings. Those crews at the remote crossings are always looking for a little extra work, especially coming back into the US.. #5 Did I mention be polite? A guy I used to work with, not a friend, used to get held up at the border routinely. He was a dick, and he was a dick with them. Those hold ups? Not just a couple hours, but 10, 12 hours and more. One time they held him up for a full 24 hours. #6, Did I mention be polite?

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

More to the point... if you are crossing, the inspection issue is moot besides the big issues like lighting, registration, general condition of the vehicle, etc. I've crossed from Bellingham, Wa to Derby Line, Vt. in my Jeep. Zero issues. Commercial vehicles are subject to greater scrutiny for sure. As for the fenders, I'm more than confident that steel fenders that dont quite completely cover the tire is a non issue. However, its worth an email asking about Jeep travel and issues they have HISTORICALLY looked for or had issues with passing. Send them a link or YouTube video from Metalcloak.

My take away is that if it passes inspection in the US, its a non issue in Canada fr the purposes of a US registered vehicle, not one that requires inspection for registration there. After all, how many cars are made in Canada vs imported from the US?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Tube fenders and a stubby front bumper ain't going to pass, lol. You minus well pull up to the check point with your doors off and holding an infant out over the road.

Do jeep trips here first, switch to a truck for truckish trips when you exhaust all of the jeep stuff. Canada counts as a truck trip for me.

• Haha
Reactions: MOAK and wvjeeper

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have crossed from Canada into the US a d back with no issue with my Jeep. That being said I live here lol. I crossed at Buffalo and rolled out to Rausche Creek with a few friends. No windows, no doors, tires stick out bout 4" on either side, tube fenders front and rear, front bumper cut down to frame width and a broken windshield. Then never said a word about the jeep. But it could be very different if you are not a citizen.
20200707_185524.jpg

Reactions: wvjeeper