Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
To go Manual or automatic?
I’ve hear Manual is good for something and no so much for other I’ve also heard that auto is way easier but I’ve also heard guys say they will drive nothing but a manual thoughts? And what manuals do you guys drive and what are your pros and cons on it?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I grew up on dirtbikes, and my first 5 vehicles had manual transmissions. I had a manual Samurai, and it was way more fun to drive than either of my two auto 4Runners.

That said, the autos are easier to drive offroad, especially in slow-speed, high-torque circumstances. Of course, that would be instances like rock crawling (which I never enjoyed much), or the occasional vehicle recovery. Those circumstances can be harder on clutches and may require early replacement or upgrade after a lot of use in this type of driving.

Man I want another Samurai now...:disrelieved:

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Here in Arizona, we do a good bit of rock crawling. Manuals make it that much harder. If you're into making it hard, go for it. It's a lot to do when you're trying to scurry up over a big rock with lord knows whats next facing you. To those that say manuals are more fun to drive, I disagree in a trail vehicle. If we are talking sports cars, sure. For fire roads and moderate trails it doesn't really matter much.

The only benefit in my book to a manual is the ability to jump start them if your starter goes out. That is great because I value redundancy and safety.

On the topic of safety, my wife would be able to get us home in an automatic if something were to happen to me. If i had a manual and it was just us, we both re dying out there okay. It is nice being able to drop in 4lo and 1st gear in an auto and let the vehicle walk down the heavy stuff so you can just worry about steering and braking if needed.

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I've wheeled both, and we wheel with both types of vehicles every time we go (people in group have a mix).

Manauls are fun, but if you burn up a clutch cause you're not as good as you think you are, you are in a bind. However, in 4Lo it's hard to glaze one, as you get more torque.

I will say that if you get a manual, choose one with a handbrake, NOT a foot brake for the parking/emergency brake. It's much easier to hold the brake with your hand and slowly release it as you lean into the clutch/gas to get started when you're pointing upward.

Personally my vehicles are auto, and my 4Runner only comes in auto, so my options are limited to just autos.

Manauls in our group:
1987 Toyota Buggy 22RE w/ 5-speed + crawlbox and 5.13s on 40's
2005 Toyota Tacoma v6 6-speed manual with stock 4.10s, IFS, and 35's.
2013 Jeep Rubicon 6-speed w/ stock 4.10's and 35's

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Similar to another comment, I grew up with dirt bikes, all my cars were manual - jeeps, tacomas, etc. My 2016 Tacoma is automatic and I would never go back - these are not the automatics that existed when I was growing up. I off-road in many different terrains, and the automatic has made tough situations much easier. I'm sure there are instances where manual is better, but for me automatic is great.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

To go Manual or automatic?
I’ve hear Manual is good for something and no so much for other I’ve also heard that auto is way easier but I’ve also heard guys say they will drive nothing but a manual thoughts? And what manuals do you guys drive and what are your pros and cons on it?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I've been off roading since I was 15, the first time I ever drove a car was on dirt and I've wheeled extensively with both a manual and an automatic.

Automatic:
Pro: Allows you to focus on wheel placement, is more forgiving at very low speeds, more forgiving regarding what gear you are in thanks to the natural slip in the torque converter, helps smooth out throttle input (especially on bouncy roads)

Con:
Less direct imput from the throttle means a more disconnected feel.

Manual:
Pro: More direct feel for the vehicle because your right foot is connected directly to the tire rotation. You can easily select exactly the gear you want, when you want it, and not have the computer try to second-guess you. I find manuals to be more fun to drive.

Con:
Limits who can drive the vehicle, not everyone can drive a stick and even fewer can do so off road. You have to shift to 4-low sooner. Bumps tend to result in the vehicle surging forward as your foot bounces on the pedal - you can counter this by wedging your foot against the transmission hump. But the big down side is that for very slow going (slower than 1st gear low-range) you have to slip the clutch like mad - this prematurely wears the clutch and the flywheel and is between $1,000-$2,000 to replace. I am due for a new clutch and only got 100,000 miles out of it - which is pretty damn good considering how I use the vehicle.

My current vehicle is a manual. My next vehicle will be an automatic.

DacoRoman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
I'm not super advanced and don't do super crazy rock crawling but I spent my youth wheeling a Toyota 4x4 truck with manual transmission, part time 4wheel drive, manual hub lockers, no differential locks, no active traction control...in other words, old school. I now have a 4Runner with an automatic transmission, ATRAC and rear locking differential...and it is waaaay more capable. When I wheel my 4runner I use the transmission in sports mode and can downshift as needed. I don't miss a manual transmission whatsoever.

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

Here's a great comparison from Ronny Dahl:

This is very good. IT all depends on your preference. I had a '70 Challenger with a 4 speed.. loved it and wouldn't change it for the world. Now I have an automatic. I commute with it, and will wheel with it.. and I love it, wouldn't change it for the world.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

< See my avatar pic? Imagine stalling in that situation and trying to restart your vehicle.... Pushing the clutch in with your left foot, right foot on the gas, right hand holding up the e brake.... how do you turn the key? You need to steer with your left hand,
correct? How often have you seen an automatic stall? Rarely if ever....

As previously stated, if you are going to wheel tough, steep, rocky terrain get an automatic. If you NEVER rock crawl and exclusively blast through the desert or on fire roads then get a manual if that is what you prefer. Just don't try to follow me on a trail run!

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I dont mind either. My rule of thumb is if it is a low power engine I like to have a manual. Engines with more power it's nice to have an auto. My current rig is a 70 FJ55 with a Chevy 350 and 700r4. It is nice and easy to drive at low speeds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I like an automatic with a big trans cooler. The stock cooler in the radiator is nowhere near adequate to me. On the beach with the stock system, the trans fluid was running 210 or more. Adding a nice-sized cooler dropped temps down to 170. At home, I'm in a high-traffic area. On the trail, I like having something anyone can drive without issue for the same reason mentioned above: if I get hurt in the middle of nowhere, virtually anyone could drive in my place.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
All of my off-road vehicles have been manual up to the last two. Now I wont drive manual tran's off road. When we got my son his first truck, it was a toyota pu, 4cyl, manual. He was pissed. Now he can drive a stick and last year he bought a new toyota with an auto. At 27 years old, he's still the only one of his friends who can drive stick.
Remember, Manual transmission = millennial theft device.

Scott

Reactions: Lindenwood

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I was a big manual guy for years! But now the auto works better in many ways; 1st my wife likes to drive it not because she cant but because it is easy on her Sciatic nerve. 2nd in the rocks or anything rough it is smoother. I think its all personal preference.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

I've driven manuals for 45 years . . . and I do enjoy them in sports cars. My Jeep JKUR is auto and my son's JKR is standard. I enjoy my off and on-road driving much more than he does. On-road in heavy traffic and offroad in some circumstances are holy hell.

I'll never purchase another standard transmission unless the supercar only comes in standard . . . and today, almost all supercars are dual-clutch autos.