Endurance II

Hamburg, Deutschland
First Name
Arne
Last Name
Brodowski
Member #

Hello!

I‘m planning to buy a Rhino Batwing Awning (270°) but I was wondering if it will interfere with the rear ladder on my Land Rover LR4.
With the upper tailgate open the ladder is parallel to the roof rack but it is a few inches higher than the rack.

Does anybody know if this will work or maybe anyone uses this setup?

Most interesting detail would be: how many inches above the roof rack the last quarter of the Batwing awning sits… I don‘t want the ladder to constantly press up against the awning from below…

I hope I could make my question clear enough. Thank you for your help!

Picture: Roof rack is currently off but you can see how the ladder is higher than the roof…

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
That looks like it probably would touch.
Depends on how high you mount your awning on the vehicle.
My Foxwing (batwing) was originally intended to be erected with the outer edge higher than the vehicle. The rain runs down the drain in the centre.

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Arne, I have the Rhino on my Series 2. I think it would rest on the ladder. One thing to know about the Rhino awning is how fragile the hinges are. There is a reason they come with spares. Always set the legs down when you open each section and put in the leg stakes right away. A slight breeze will lift and break hinges as can the droop from being unsupported when opening.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Arne, I have the Rhino on my Series 2. I think it would rest on the ladder. One thing to know about the Rhino awning is how fragile the hinges are. There is a reason they come with spares. Always set the legs down when you open each section and put in the leg stakes right away. A slight breeze will lift and break hinges as can the droop from being unsupported when opening.
I used to, even at the time of that photo, have the metal hinges. A strong wind gust bent the poles before the hinges broke. The plastic ones are sacrificial.
Don't get me wrong, they're stronger than some of the cheaper brands overall.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I used to, even at the time of that photo, have the metal hinges. A strong wind gust bent the poles before the hinges broke. The plastic ones are sacrificial.
Don't get me wrong, they're stronger than some of the cheaper brands overall.
Yeah, methinks they are too flimsy in the search for lightness. I've had to replace 6 hinges and them made some spares out of wood, I'll see how they go when I need to use them.