Launch Member

Member I

Benton, AR, USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Floyd
Member #

Question for all of the experts on here (no sarcasm intended).
If you put a 3 inch lift on a suburban what type of tires would you go with? Not looking to go anywhere too crazy.
Thanks

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Question for all of the experts on here (no sarcasm intended).
If you put a 3 inch lift on a suburban what type of tires would you go with? Not looking to go anywhere too crazy.
Thanks
Is this a question on size or tread pattern?
Lift companies will generally give a recommendation on a size of tire to run with a certain wheel offset and you can work off of that.
If it's a question of tread type, I would probably go with a decent A/T tire over an M/T to save the noise and a little bit of extra wear.
If you are looking at brand recomdations you will get every tire under the sun recommend because it is going to be very terrain specific and vehicle specific recommendations.

DaneFloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Benton, AR, USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Floyd
Member #

Is this a question on size or tread pattern?
Lift companies will generally give a recommendation on a size of tire to run with a certain wheel offset and you can work off of that.
If it's a question of tread type, I would probably go with a decent A/T tire over an M/T to save the noise and a little bit of extra wear.
If you are looking at brand recomdations you will get every tire under the sun recommend because it is going to be very terrain specific and vehicle specific recommendations.
Tread pattern. Brand will just have to be in the budget.
Thanks

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Tread pattern has a lot to do with what you want out of the tire , more off-road , more street manners , tire noise , terrain you will encounter ect ect ect . As far as size well that’s all debatable and dependent on the tire itself( not all tires of the same size are actually the same size , wheel offset and willingness to trim . I have 35s on my GMC Sierra with only 2” of lift but they fit with no lift because they are only 10.5” wide . This post will turn into a very long “ my setup is the best “ post so my best advice to you is get on some forums specific to your rig and do allllooooootttt of reading to weed out the good info .

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Correct tread, armored sidewall, thick Rubber to shrug off rock and impacts. Winter rated.

Mild = Cooper ST Maxx
Good = Cooper STT Pro, Maxxis Rzr.
Aggressive short range or deep snow = Irok's.

Avoid AT's. Most are nothing more than street tires with funky tread.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Correct tread, armored sidewall, thick Rubber to shrug off rock and impacts. Winter rated.

Mild = Cooper ST Maxx

I guess as with all things it depends on where you go , I have the opposite thought unless it’s a trail rig avoid MT tires at all costs and stick with AT tires .
This is why asking what tires to buy would be like asking a group of people what pizza you should eat everybody like something different for different reasons.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard

Mild = Cooper ST Maxx

It doesn't seem like the OP will likely need anything nearly as aggressive as most of those tires lol. Maxxis rzr and Iroks would be way over the top for "Not looking to go anywhere too crazy".

Reactions: Armor_LG

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Whatever tires you go with, I like to recommend to look at the weight of the tire compared to others of the same size. More weight = worse gas mileage. I also like to get tires with the 3PMSF symbol so I know they are tested to perform adequately in adverse weather conditions.

DaneFloyd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Benton, AR, USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Floyd
Member #

Tread pattern has a lot to do with what you want out of the tire , more off-road , more street manners , tire noise , terrain you will encounter ect ect ect . As far as size well that’s all debatable and dependent on the tire itself( not all tires of the same size are actually the same size , wheel offset and willingness to trim . I have 35s on my GMC Sierra with only 2” of lift but they fit with no lift because they are only 10.5” wide . This post will turn into a very long “ my setup is the best “ post so my best advice to you is get on some forums specific to your rig and do allllooooootttt of reading to weed out the good info .
Trying to parse through all of the information now.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It doesn't seem like the OP will likely need anything nearly as aggressive as most of those tires lol. Maxxis rzr and Iroks would be way over the top for "Not looking to go anywhere too crazy".
It was a post for everyone.

But in this case the OP will be best off with the ST Maxx. Same tough armored carcass of the proper STT's, but milder, quieter tread pattern. Keep a set of tire chains or Truck Clawz handy for mud and deep snow.

Keep in mind that the new breed of MT's are very streetable. The STT's and Rzr's do fine on the street in snow and rain.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

It was a post for everyone.

But in this case the OP will be best off with the ST Maxx. Same tough armored carcass of the proper STT's, but milder, quieter tread pattern. Keep a set of tire chains or Truck Clawz handy for mud and deep snow.

Keep in mind that the new breed of MT's are very streetable. The STT's and Rzr's do fine on the street in snow and rain.
I've never heard of the ST Maxx before. I'll have to look into them and see if I can get them in my size because I do like me a Cooper tire.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I had fantastic luck with the cooper discover at3-4s , whisper quiet on the highway, 3peak rated and worked wonderfully in the ice . St maxx works great in the snow , tuff sidewalls do need to be aired down a bit more than normal started to get noisy as they wear .

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Asuarez_673

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia Beach, VA
First Name
Alexis
Last Name
Suarez
Member #

it all depends what you're trying to do? if you're looking for an overall decent daily with off road capabilities, I would do a A/T tire. I've had really good luck with Cooper Discover AT3. if you're looking for something that will give you an okay dailiness but be better off road, then I would look more at a M/T tire. Personally I really like the Toyo M/T, right now I'm running the BFG KM3. it all really narrows down to your preference and of course budget

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

As already recommended I would go with the A/T over a M/T tire, I run KO2's on my CJ5 and I run Pro Comp A/Ts on my Ram. Everyone has their own personal preference here, so I would just do your research. I was looking for a 10ply A/T for my Ram when I switched from BFG to ProComp.