Question about replacing bumpers and factory air bags

• HTML tutorial

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a few questions regarding replacement bumpers, recovery operations and air bags.
First question, I have recently got a 2004 Jeep Wrangler and I looking at replacing the factory bumpers with something more substantial. Do i need to worry about anything regarding the air bags after swapping the bumpers?
Second, when using the new front bumper for vehicle recovery, either myself or others, are the airbags a concern? Or do you just use the recovery points as you would on an early model vehicle?
I appreciate any help in this matter!

Last edited:

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

I know that some manufactures list their bumpers as being airbag compliant. I don't, however, know exactly what that means. I would suggest contacting a few of the companies who's bumpers you like and get their explanation.

Last edited:

PukeBags

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Silverton, Oregon
Member #

"On 1995-96 modles the airbag sensor is inside the airbag unit on 97 on the sensor is in the control module mounted on the forward part of the transmission tunnel under the heater/ac box" - from my manual
I dont think the bumpers have anything to do with the airbag operation other than the way they would crumple, but i could be wrong. Just my .02

Reactions: Neb_Sojourner

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

"On 1995-96 modles the airbag sensor is inside the airbag unit on 97 on the sensor is in the control module mounted on the forward part of the transmission tunnel under the heater/ac box" - from my manual
I dont think the bumpers have anything to do with the airbag operation other than the way they would crumple, but i could be wrong. Just my .02
That sounds pretty good, I have not found any sensors in or on the bumper area. I just wanted to make sure I am not going to deploy the airbag by pulling someone out, or being pulled out myself.
Thanks for the responses guys!!!

PukeBags

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Silverton, Oregon
Member #

From what info I've been able to find you would need to be going 30-40 mph to 0 in 1-2 seconds to set off a tj airbag so no worries on pulling/pushing other vehicles or rocks. You will be fine. Have fun out there.

Reactions: Neb_Sojourner