Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Okay so I have read all the pro and con threads on the material type but here is the question I am still left with. Some aluminum bumpers say they need steel reinforcement for the winch In turn adding more weight. Some don’t say that. So I have been looking at demello off-road aluminum 60ish lbs Baja bumper (beautiful design) and brute force steel bumper at 120lbs (I like the height of the bull bar for more protection). The demello does say anything about said added reinforcement if running a winch. “Standard winch mount for 8000-10000lb winch (note winch solenoids will need remounted)Weight 40-60lbs depending on options”
Any one know if they had to add anything for the winch when running demello if so I may just go with steel if the end result is the same weight?? hope that made sense! That’s in advance for any input on this..

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Have never seen the brand but, looking at the pictures, it looks well built. I do my own fab work and I wouldn't have an issue with what I see on their site. I only wish I could work aluminum like that. Save me a bunch of weight.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Okay so I have read all the pro and con threads on the material type but here is the question I am still left with. Some aluminum bumpers say they need steel reinforcement for the winch In turn adding more weight. Some don’t say that. So I have been looking at demello off-road aluminum 60ish lbs Baja bumper (beautiful design) and brute force steel bumper at 120lbs (I like the height of the bull bar for more protection). The demello does say anything about said added reinforcement if running a winch. “Standard winch mount for 8000-10000lb winch (note winch solenoids will need remounted)Weight 40-60lbs depending on options”
Any one know if they had to add anything for the winch when running demello if so I may just go with steel if the end result is the same weight?? hope that made sense! That’s in advance for any input on this..
In my opinion, any winch should be connected in some way to the vehicle frame. A steel or aluminum bumper just is not enough to withstand 5-10k of force static or dynamic. Tow hooks welded to a bumper scare me too. After twenty years in the navy I've seen many parted wire/hawser/rope/chain/strap and it's not pretty. I'd like to see the winch cradle welded or bolted to a plate connected to the frame.
My 21 cents. LOL
Zim

Have you watched the install video? Looks like there may be a total of 10 half inch bolts that hold the bumper and "winch cradle" to the frame horns. Looks legit.
Z

Last edited:

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
In my opinion, any winch should be connected in some way to the vehicle frame. A steel or aluminum bumper just is not enough to withstand 5-10k of force static or dynamic. Tow hooks welded to a bumper scare me too. After twenty years in the navy I've seen many parted wire/hawser/rope/chain/strap and it's not pretty. I'd like to see the winch cradle welded or bolted to a plate connected to the frame.
My 21 cents. LOL
Zim

Have you watched the install video? Looks like there may be a total of 10 half inch bolts that hold the bumper and "winch cradle" to the frame horns. Looks legit.
Z
Great input thank you for the reply!

Reactions: Austin Block

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Have never seen the brand but, looking at the pictures, it looks well built. I do my own fab work and I wouldn't have an issue with what I see on their site. I only wish I could work aluminum like that. Save me a bunch of weight.
Wish I could do my own fab work, jealous for sure! Thanks for the response!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I read that and had a couple of flash backs. Not from anything I owned though.
Sometimes I sound like a old bitty but I've seen *$)@%## People. Insert your own word. Welding and fabricating introduces you to other folks sloppy mechanics and it's just dangerous.
Zim