Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I can tell right now this will be a popular thread. And I cannot wait to see the SPAM that @grubworm cooked tonight haha!

The weather was perfect today so steaks on the grill with baked potatoes and some peas and pickled asparagus that I found in the pantry. The missus also baked a loaf of bread. Losing weight is not going well during the pandemic!

B98D9A99-933F-44D3-B6D3-8494BBD33DD7.jpeg

DC2FA300-C2DB-4599-803F-FB89574FD3D6.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I can tell right now this will be a popular thread. And I cannot wait to see the SPAM that @grubworm cooked tonight haha!
ha! yeah, after a few weeks of quarantine, i was really enjoying getting into those SPAM reserves, but then i noticed i was getting 'that look' from the wife, so i figured i'd change things up a bit.
i have heard a lot of good things about cooking sous vide (vacuum sealing meat and cooking it in a water bath of around 145 degrees) so after seeing the prices of sous vide units, i made my own unit using a hot water heater element, a chrome sink drain tailstock, pvc pipe and a temp controller off Amazon.
Basically, I just got a tote and filled it with water and stuck in the element and got the water to temp and then got a pork loin and sliced it cross ways into 1" thick medallions. Made a rub for them and started vacuum sealing them 3 each (1 for each of us) per bag. Then set them in the 145 degree water bath for 4 hours while I went and did other stuff. Came back and pulled them, let them cool and then got a pan with hot oil and did a quick sear on them since they are already cooked. They were tender and delicious! I have about $25 in the set up and definitely can say its worth the time and money making it. I can do a huge batch of meat and even freeze the remainder and then simply thaw it out and sear it and have a quick meal. Tons of recipes online, so this will be an interesting change of pace...

Was going to slice up some SPAM and sous vide it, but since its already cooked, I didn't think it would do much for it AND I didn't want to see "that look" again... :grinning:

IMG_0041.JPG

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Monty Python's "Spam" song playing in my head while reading this......

Great idea though. What are you using to vacuum seal with?
i use the VacMaster Pro 305. i bought it years ago and like it because it has an attachment to vacuum seal mason jars. i buy rice, beans, etc in bulk and put in mason jars and vacuum seal with a dessicant pack and store for use during hurricanes, etc

IMG_0043.JPG

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've been experimenting with different toasted English Muffin Sandwich combos to go with coffee in the morning.

Most of the experimenting I'm doing during The Big Pause of 2020 is with an eye towards what I can make easily in camp, and expanding the variety of what I can make from what I have left in my fridge.

Though they look similar, underneath the cheese and toppings are a variety of tasty combinations:

breakfast_0727-800jpg.jpg..breakfast_0492-800.jpg
Shredded baked chicken on mayo and fresh spinach, with melted cheddar and red onion - - - Chicken salad with avocado slices and fresh spinach

breakfast_0538-800.jpg..breakfast_0914-800.jpg
Smoked salmon (lox) with cream cheese, sliced tomato, red onion and capers - - - Sausage with mayo, melted cheddar, red onion and red pepper

And, because my kid wanted to make pancakes after our 5:30am bike ride to watch the sun rise over the bay a few days ago:
sunrise-200406-800.jpg.. breakfast_0868-800.jpg
Easy 4 ingredient Pancakes from my recipe here:

I'm playing with crepe recipes, too, as an easier and quicker alternative to making tortillas in camp, so I have wraps to use throughout the week while on the road. They last 5-6 days in my 12v fridge.

Also making a variety of luscious soups, that I'll make a separate post with at some other point.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I haven't been going to the grocery as much, so I'm not buying a lot of perishables, which has limited my cooking. We've been eating way too much stuff out of a box and/or a can and way too much frozen stuff, mostly for convenience. I have been dying to break out my Paella pan though. I need to start using some of the shrimp we brought back from Baja at the beginning of the year. I'm thinking a seafood Paella is in order for this weekend...

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I haven't been going to the grocery as much, so I'm not buying a lot of perishables, which has limited my cooking. We've been eating way too much stuff out of a box and/or a can and way too much frozen stuff, mostly for convenience. I have been dying to break out my Paella pan though. I need to start using some of the shrimp we brought back from Baja at the beginning of the year. I'm thinking a seafood Paella is in order for this weekend...

Hell yeah, man . . .hope you post up what you made and how you made it. That sounds so good right now.

Reactions: HIALT2D

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Made another Roaddude Breakfast Tower this morning. Today was a slight variation of one I make in camp regularly:

bfasttwoer_0991.jpg

English muffin with mayo, sausage, sunny side up fried egg , and red onion with Siracha and garlic powder.

Damn, it was good. Almost need a nap now. . .

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Went to grocery outlet today and got 28oz of filet mignon for 10 $. Theyre going on the traeger while i bake some parmesan zuchini fries.

k.jason

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kanjiravilyil
Breakfast:
Smoked Salmon Egg Benedict

Dinner: