QUALITY EXPEDITION AWNING FOR 150 BUCKS!

• HTML tutorial

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

I've done a few DIY designs and mods over the years so thought I'd post the ones I've found most useful here.
I'd wanted an awning for some time but most manufactured ones were incredibly expensive and fairly heavy. Here's an article I wrote with loads of pics of how I made one to the exact dimensions I needed. It rolls away and unpacks easily and can be removed altogether in about a minute. I use this one a lot and it's worked well:

http://4wdx.com/diy-mods/quality-expedition-awning-for-150-bucks/

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@duncan I see a project coming on. Thanks for this. I'm thinking of doing this as our pop up does cone with some weight. We'll see! 

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Cheers Mike. Robert, yes and those pop-ups take a bit of space, too, IME.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice awning, Duncan, and about half the price of my ARB 2500. Mine probably goes up a bit quicker, but you're usually not in any hurry when your out on a trip enjoying the day. (my post #9350)

Steve

Reactions: Zargon

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Steve, yes, spot on. The ARB is way more than $300 here in the UK, though and if you import yourself you're paying heavy shipping and tax. The other thing that made me go this route was size. I wanted one that extended 3.5m out from the Jeep so I could put up a 2-3 man tent under it and I also wanted it to run the entire length of the Jeep rather than just length of the roof. Finally, I wanted to be able to drop or raise the outward poles for protection and privacy where required. So this system works well as it gives me all the flexibility I need there.

Erik_Harmon

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

That thing is huge!!! I just purchased 6 yards of silnylon to make one for my 4Runner. Going for 15 feet deep and 10 feet wide. Hopefully it will turn out well...

Reactions: giarc1234

SkipsTheRiot

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey Duncan, I love this and will be making one for my jeep as well. Wut'd you use for poles? Where'd you get the tarp? it has a suede look to it. Also did you make any holes? How'd you reinforce them?

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

I used adjustable awning poles that you find in camping shops. They're fairly inexpensive and do the job well. They roll up inside the canvas. The canvas I bought on eBay UK. I then put metal eyelets into them. There's a write-up on my blog if you do a search.

Thanks Robert!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Very nice. I was surprised about the prices when I first started looking at awnings.