Rank III

Traveler III

Rocklin, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

I’m Plannng a trip to Barney Riley from hwy 89 (CA side) in early August and we plan to camp at the river. However, I have read several conflicting accounts about trail closures, gates being closed saying ”private property”, hot springs all dried-up, etc.. I have done the trail before, but had to turn around before getting near the river. I’m wondering if anyone has done the trail recently and can provide a report?

On another note, the goal here is to have two days of overlanding and one night by a campfire. We are coming from the Sacramento area and seeking a trail that is moderately challenging, (33” tires/lifted ZR2, 4 Runner, JK) within 3-4 hours of Sac and offering decent camping spots. I am familiar with Mt. Ellis and Bowman Lake. Wondering if anyone has other ideas for us? Barney was fun, but got tons of pin-striping and 10-miles of relentless rocks which became a bit tiring..although there were a few challenging obstacles that made it interesting.

Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
In that area you might want to look into
- Pardoe trail / Hungaleti Ridge (good camping on the ridge)
- Slickrock Trail (good camping at the rivers at either end)

Rocklin Bison

Rank III

Traveler III

Rocklin, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

In that area you might want to look into
- Pardoe trail / Hungaleti Ridge (good camping on the ridge)
- Slickrock Trail (good camping at the rivers at either end)
Thank you for the info. from what I can tell, Slickrock seems a little too technical for my vehicle (maybe because all the YouTube videos are lifted jeeps with 37’s). I was also reading info from Overland Trail Guides who recommends trucks not try Pardoe Trail because of the longer wheel base. I have a Colo ZR2 with a short bed, lifted with 34’s and armor. Do you think I’ll have a problem with Pardoe?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Thank you for the info. from what I can tell, Slickrock seems a little too technical for my vehicle (maybe because all the YouTube videos are lifted jeeps with 37’s). I was also reading info from Overland Trail Guides who recommends trucks not try Pardoe Trail because of the longer wheel base. I have a Colo ZR2 with a short bed, lifted with 34’s and armor. Do you think I’ll have a problem with Pardoe?
There are 3 main sections of Pardoe, the map at 4x4TrailMaps - Pardoe Trail shows them fairly well. When I say "blue" and "black" below it's referring to this map.

I haven't run the blue western section (towards Bear River Reservoir) recently but from what I remember that were one or two narrow sections between trees where a longer vehicle might have to make a multi-point turn. I can''t guarantee you'll make it, but I suspect a ZR2 or Taco with a short bed could make it through the gap.

The black section back out to highway 88 should be no problem, and there is a side trip you can take over to Mud Lake.

The blue eastern section (towards Kirkwood) is more difficult than the western section, but in my experience it is not as narrow. A friend drove through it in his Tacoma DCSB on 33s so your truck should fit. There are some fairly big rock gardens so I strongly recommend going with another truck, or else having good equipment (winch) and experience with self recovering.

Pictures of a narrow section on the western section from 2011

Pictures of some rocks on the eastern section from 2020, I posted a detailed trip report on this site

Have fun!

Rocklin Bison

Rank III

Traveler III

Rocklin, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

thanks for the great info and pics. I think the only thing that might hold us back now is smoke. Pray for Yosemite and blue skys.

Reactions: slomatt