Punishment for Death Valley Racetrack idiot

• HTML tutorial

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I looked for a previous thread on this subject but could not find it. In case you missed it, here is a link to an article with pictures about the damage: https://petapixel.com/2016/09/19/vandalism-iconic-racetrack-death-valley-national-park/

I was in Death Valley this past weekend and went to the Racetrack. For what it is worth, I walked a large portion of the southern part (near the parking area) and didn't see any tire tracks. There were a lot of footprints from someone walking out there when it was wet (apparently also illegal) but I didn't see tire tracks. Maybe there was enough rain this year to start to repair the damage.

Now for the good news from the ranger we spoke with. The idiot who did this has been caught after posting footage on Facebook! He was driving a 2017 Ford Raptor with every available option with a reported price tag of about $95000.

Here is the punishment so far:

1. He forfeited the truck to the Federal Gov't. The park service is going to use it in Death Valley! The rangers are stoked!
2. He was fined $30,000 (not enough in my opinion).
3. He is going to jail for some time (this phase of his trial is not complete yet).
4. He is PERMANENTLY banned from ALL Federal land. He cannot set foot on ANY Federal property without risking arrest. This includes all Nat'l parks, the mall in Washington D.C. etc.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Good things they caught this jerk. Stoked the Rangers got a brand new capable vehicle out of it too! That was an expensive romp in many ways.

Reactions: Zargon and BCBrian

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

One of the guys I was with last weekend in D/V was in touch with the rangers and found out that the Racetrack has actually been driven on 3 times in the past 6 months or so. Hopefully these are not copy cats....

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
The ban from federal land seems extreme. What about traveling through national forest on the interstate? Or is it just national parks?

-M

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Any source on this? I can't find anything about it.

I'm going to go against the trend of this thread and say that, IMO these punishments seem extreme, but more importantly unrealistic, I question the validity of this story for several reasons.