Pull-Out Platform for my "8020" Kitchen Module (pic heavy!)

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Contributor II

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
On my last camping trip i used my DIY kitchen for the first time and it worked great.
But because i had to place it on the tailgate getting to my other gear in the back of the car
was not that easy of course.

So this is what i made:

BorealOverlandKitchenModule1..jpg

And this is how i made it..

I decided to build a pull-out platform to make life a bit easier on longer trips..
Because i like to keep the car relative light weight since it's my daily driver i did not want to use
a (heavy) wood base plate in the back of the car to bolt the pull-out platform on.
So after some thinking i decided to use a 2040 aluminum extrusion as a crossmember
(sorry don't know a better word in English for it) and bolt it to the factory tie down nuts behind the back seats.
Because they lay a bit deeper in the floor i had to fabricate two solid spacers.

This chunky block is what i had laying around.. Try and use stuff i already have.

BorealOverlandimage00001.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00003.jpeg

Something like that.. two solid spacers to bolt the crossmember on too.

BorealOverlandimage00004.jpeg

So with that sorted i now could figure out how to build the pull-out platform and how to bolt it to the crossmember.

Taking a couple 1000 measurements lol.

BorealOverlandimage00011.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00012.jpeg

After al the measuring i had a fairly clear idea how i was going to build the platform and the dimensions
i can use.

To be continued..

Last edited:

Contributor II

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
I ordered all the parts i needed and begun building.
The most expensive part where the 90CM - 130KG rated locking drawer slides of course.
And at 6KG they are also half of the total weight of the platform.

I build a base frame out of 2020 and 2040 aluminum extrusions that fit between the tailgate
and the 2040 crossmember in the back.

I made myself a jig for drilling the oversize holes in the center of the extrusions.
It can be done without a jig but this way i have better results..

BorealOverlandimage00023.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00022.jpeg

Super light and strong construction.

BorealOverlandimage00024.jpeg

The bracket i made in the front of the frame is where i bolt the frame to a rivet-nut i made near the tailgate,
it's in a steel structure underneath the plastic cover..

BorealOverlandimage00025.jpeg
So before i could attach the drawer slides to the frame i had to make a couple of brackets first..
And again i used a aluminum plate i already had laying around.

BorealOverlandimage00013.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00016.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00017.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00019.jpeg

BorealOverlandimage00021.jpeg
A couple days later i found some ready made brackets in a hardware store..
That would have saved a decent amount of work but they looked a bit weaker so
i am still happy i made these myself and the way they look.

To be continued..!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort and Road