Pull behind pop up camper?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I would be worried taking something that pricey too far off road, depends where you go i guess. I dont have that kind of money.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Have you seen some of the trailers on here? Lol. $$$
Yeah I don't think that's all that bad a price for that unit. The little tear drops are more than that and don't have as much space. Im not much for towing anything on the trails myself though. I do like the trailers but just cant see myself doing one.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Yeah I don't think that's all that bad a price for that unit. The little tear drops are more than that and don't have as much space. Im not much for towing anything on the trails myself though. I do like the trailers but just cant see myself doing one.
I am def game for a trailer to setup as a basecamp. I want it to be capable I know I am not doing like any major offroading currently, no crazy rock crawling or anything. But I also figured if I got that type of trailer I'd be sure to upgrade tires and axel if needed to something more capable and bring the height up more. Something longer like that I could mount the kayaks to the top easily and fishing poles and such too.

Truck mechanic

Rank III

Advocate II

When I had my Scout I had a few cheep tent campers. I used them as base camps, never took em very far off road. worked well that way. But as for traveling long distance on logging roads and such I think they would have come apart at the seems.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Those are built to take on FS roads and light trails. They work pretty good out here in the desert. You want to be sure and use low range more when towing this off road so the transmission and engine does not have to work as hard pulling it through say water, mud or deep sand. In deep sand momentum is key to not getting bogged down. It would be nice if the tires were aired down as well for that bigger footprint. Hopefully the trailer axle width and the tow vehicle axle width are the same so that it will follow the tracks better. They already come with the springs over the axle and should not be lifted any higher than that as you will start to hit the limit of stability and it will sway pretty bad on roads when towing at highway speeds.

Reactions: SeguineJ

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
We have a rockwood pop up that we have used for several years. The main difference in the "offroad" versions is they have a heavier frame and bigger tires. Our rockwood has held up well. We do not trailride with it but do take it on dirt roaads, sand, etc... I did change the tires over to a wider tire to keep it floating on soft material, such as sand.

In the end though, my wife decided she wanted a hard sided camper, so we picked up a T@B. Again, not made for off road trails but dirt roads are fine so far. I think if you keep in mind what you are towing and truly use it as a basecamp, a poup is a great platform.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Yea the plan is def basecamp so It does not need to go everywhere, but i will want to make sure its capable of handling some shitty terrain. I know the approaches will be different, I am just seeing what others think because this almost seems taboo for our culture. lol.

Reactions: jscusmcvet

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Taboo, yes... haha you will earn zero cool points, but you will be comfy and perhaps the wife will be happy! To put it in perspective we live 3/4 mile down a dirt track that is rougher than many OHV trails. Cars cannot make it :-). Our little pop up rolls right along, never had an issue.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Have you looked at the Livin Lite Extreme Trail Ed. camper?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I will have to check it out.

Taboo, yes... haha you will earn zero cool points, but you will be comfy and perhaps the wife will be happy! To put it in perspective we live 3/4 mile down a dirt track that is rougher than many OHV trails. Cars cannot make it :-). Our little pop up rolls right along, never had an issue.
Not worried about the "cool" level.

Reactions: gloomxdoom

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have a freind that has a similar model, it is great. I have gone out with him couple of times. The best things about the trailer are a warm and comfortable place to sleep and having a place for all your gear. So all you have to do is hookup the trailer, stop by the grocery store and go. Since expriencing his I have casually been looking and I am serious considering te trailer below. it is a Forest River ROCKWOOD Extreme Sports Package 1640ESP. A dealer near me in Turlock carries them for $8999 with the refrigerator and heater . Stats are:

• Hitch Weight - 178 lbs.
  • UVW - 1722 lbs
  • CCC - 656 lbs
  • Box Size - 8 ft
  • Exterior Open Length - 17'11"
  • Exterior Closed Length - 12 ft
  • Exterior Closed Height - 5'11"
  • Exterior Width - 8ft
299766_3.jpg 1640ESP.jpg

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
So that is a good example of the difference between the regular pop up models and the ones that are beefed up a bit such as this one. Our Pop up is also a Rockwood 1640, but is the ltd, which is their base model. This ones weighs in at 1700#, ours weighs in at just under 1200#. I would guess most of that is in the frame. I looked at a Coleman (?) Evolution at the Mod Atlantic Overland Festival 2 years ago and the frame was massive, something like 2x5" steel.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I have a freind that has a similar model, it is great. I have gone out with him couple of times. The best things about the trailer are a warm and comfortable place to sleep and having a place for all your gear. So all you have to do is hookup the trailer, stop by the grocery store and go. Since expriencing his I have casually been looking and I am serious considering te trailer below. it is a Forest River ROCKWOOD Extreme Sports Package 1640ESP. A dealer near me in Turlock carries them for $8999 with the refrigerator and heater . Stats are:

• Hitch Weight - 178 lbs.
  • UVW - 1722 lbs
  • CCC - 656 lbs
  • Box Size - 8 ft
  • Exterior Open Length - 17'11"
  • Exterior Closed Length - 12 ft
  • Exterior Closed Height - 5'11"
  • Exterior Width - 8ft
View attachment 21157 View attachment 21158
That is pretty sweet.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I forgot to mention it also has an awning and rack on top to carry kayaks, bikes or extra gear. They have a few other models that are larger, but I want to stay as light and short as possible.