Public Lands pass???

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

BLM or public lands pass? My lady friend is telling me that I have to have some sort of special pass or card to boondock on BLM & NFS land. I have never heard of this and I only know about the interagency-federal lands America The Beautiful pass. I can't find anything else in my google searches. As I understand the ATB pass is only used for paid amenities like national parks admission, campground admissions, visitors centers, day use areas that require a fee, etc. I also know that the State of Oregon and other states have a pass for State Parks & National Forest to use day use, picnic, and water access areas that is either daily or seasonal. But these are all specific areas that are marked and have controlled access for a fee.
I scoured the BLM and interlinked websites for more info and could not find anything. Am I missing something new, I was unaware of.
Public lands are paid for by our taxes and if there are no amenities to support there should be no "Pass" for these???

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Never heard of such a thing. We boondocked on BLM land all over the west. Never an issue. There is an LTVA pass or permit, but that is for staying on certain areas designated by BLM as open for long term camping.

Reactions: UgotWheelz

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I venture out to BLM for alot of things but never heard you need a pass

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Would be news to me as well. Unless you're staying in an actual designated campground that has use fees.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have heard pits and pieces about some of the agencies wanting to do a pass like national parks. They were citing over crowding in some areas. In my area, there is a Adventure Pass (parking pass) needed for the national forest.
As far as I know, nothing became of it. Your friend may have heard something along those lines.

tigerowner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Grey
Member #

Certain areas require a permit to camp. Some areas require a pass. Usually in popular areas. As far as taxes take a look at the appropriations to see how little is put towards the public lands. Fortunately the Great America Outdoors act funded some of the huge maintenance backlog.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

different country but I'll guess if it is like us it is driven by locals pissed off with travellers blocking their own access and often trashing their backyards, They bitch to whoever they voted for and those guys see..... yes a cash grab. Their voters rejoyce and the government coffers fill.... plus a few do gooders get jobs to collect and enforce it. YES, your taxes pay for recreation in your backyard. But if you drive 1000 mies to come to my backyard,,,,, yer gonna pay.

Reactions: old_man