Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I’m trying to decide on a roof rack for my 4Runner. I would appreciate OB pros and cons for Gobi/Front Runner. I know Gobi is a 16 week wait. Thank you in advance.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have a Gobi Stealth on my Xterra and love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'd vote for the Gobi.

Reactions: Happy Sunshine

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I agree that both are good choices for sure - it will really come down to how you plan to use it. Both will hold a RTT no problem, but I went with the Front Runner (3 times: JKU, 4R, and Tundra) for the increased versatility of the accessories: the RTT mounts, the awning mounts, the shovel mounts, etc. Any of those can go on/off relatively easily (as I am sure then can on the Gobi, but I don't have first-hand with that) - so if you want to uplift for a trip and not keep everything on all the time, it is a great option. The all aluminum construction is great - I have scratched them up fairly well and no rusting issues.

Again, you can't go wrong with either

Ryan

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
I just went through the same decision making process. I went with the Gobi because I know folks that have one AND i could get the Ranger edition with the front end that allows for the 6-7 inch lights. I'm not a fan the rectangle/square lightbars. I like the "old school" look of the four bigger lights above the windshield. Having said that I'm four weeks into my 12 week wait. BUT we are doing a lot of other upgrades while waiting for the rack to arrive.

Reactions: Happy Sunshine

Happy Sunshine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Decatur, Texas, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Forst
Member #

I just went through the same decision making process. I went with the Gobi because I know folks that have one AND i could get the Ranger edition with the front end that allows for the 6-7 inch lights. I'm not a fan the rectangle/square lightbars. I like the "old school" look of the four bigger lights above the windshield. Having said that I'm four weeks into my 12 week wait. BUT we are doing a lot of other upgrades while waiting for the rack to arrive.
Thank you.