proportional vs time-delayed electric brake controller

• HTML tutorial

Mpriest

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Flint Texas
Member #

Good evening everyone, I recently purchased an under construction overland trailer. The gentlemen who began the project installed a 3500lb axel with electrical brakes. Which electric brake controller are people using on overland trailers, proportional or time-delayed and what is the manufacturer and model number? I will be installing it on my 2004 LJ jeep. Thanks in advance and look forward to learning from the group.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Use the basic Reese POD. I have a "nicer" proportional one with the accelerometer in it that increases the brake action on harder stops in my K2500 and it just won't provide a reliable amount of brake pressure.

I've adjusted it by the book several times and because of the mountains I live in, it's not repeatable. One stop I'm burning up the truck brakes, the next it's sliding my trailer tires. My Dad and my buddy that runs a farm contractor business have had the same results with them.

I had one of the inexpensive PODs in a K1500 and a S10 Blazer and they were reliable and repeatable. I pulled many loads with them and I could rely on my brakes being there if I needed them.