Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Interesting that they don’t fit, I thought the slotted cross bars would be similar. I see victory4x4 also makes tie down rings, do you think those would fit?
I don't know. I thought they were all much the same bars, but seven of eight Prinsu eyebolts were a hair too large to slide into the slot. Maybe the Prinsu bolts don't work with Prinsu racks, but more likely the racks are a little different. I learned not to spend money on multiple sets of something until I'm sure things will work. from an engineering standpoint, I don't know which is stronger - an eyebolt pull straight out from the channel, or a Smiley pull across the channel.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
The Stratchits are similar to the Rok Straps I use on my motorcycle. They work well on lighter loads but I haven't tried them on larger, heavier items.

I still like ratchet straps for bigger, heavier items. They come in all sizes and have different end to work with all tie down points. On my truck, I have a Leitner Designs ACS forged rack and use various brackets to tie to, or I will just loop around the cross bars. In the bed on my truck I installed e-track singles and choose whichever accessory is most appropriate to tie to. Lots of options out there.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I don’t trust camstraps.
same here. i know they have a lot of success, but all my time on subs and working offshore where there is a huge need to secure items against constant rocking and rolling, it was always ratchet straps and never cam straps. i have seen cam straps not hold, but never seen a ratchet strap fail other than the strap failing due to rubbing on a sharp edge.

also to note when using straps, if there is a sharp edge the strap is going over or around, stick a piece of cardboard or a rag or something between the strap and edge to protect the strap

there were times offshore where we strapped down a piece of equipment and then used a stainless cable attached to the load and support as a back up in case of failure. i still do the same by using ratchet straps on the kayak and then take a piece of cord and loop it thru the handle and use a trucker's hitch to cinch it down to the rack. its a little more than hand tight, but the intent is to keep the item from leaving the support if a strap fails. the kayak might be bouncing around on the roof top carrier if the strap fails, but the extra rope will keep it from becoming airborne and going thru the windshield of the car behind me and give time to pull over and secure the load.

Last edited:

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I trust cam straps. Been using them since the 80's to secure my motorcycles and have never had one come loose. I still prefer ratchet straps because it easier to control the amount of tension applied.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I trust cam straps. Been using them since the 80's to secure my motorcycles and have never had one come loose. I still prefer ratchet straps because it easier to control the amount of tension applied.
I don't have any real issue with them, but I do think that using them on a motorcycle where the suspension is "resisting" and forcing the cam to do its job is more reliable than using them to provide tension in a static application.

Reactions: M Rose

GXExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bergstrom
Member #

We use Frontrunner Stratchits with eye bolts based on several recommendations to hold down our T4 tent on our rack. I was nervous for the first few trail sessions but they have been easy and rock solid and there has been little movement. I would sleep better using ratchet straps but since dishing out a grand for an aluminum platform rack I can’t bear to risk Tacoing it. If Gobi had a shorter lead time I’d say steel rack plus ratchet straps win!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

same here. i know they have a lot of success, but all my time on subs and working offshore where there is a huge need to secure items against constant rocking and rolling, it was always ratchet straps and never cam straps. i have seen cam straps not hold, but never seen a ratchet strap fail other than the strap failing due to rubbing on a sharp edge.

also to note when using straps, if there is a sharp edge the strap is going over or around, stick a piece of cardboard or a rag or something between the strap and edge to protect the strap

there were times offshore where we strapped down a piece of equipment and then used a stainless cable attached to the load and support as a back up in case of failure. i still do the same by using ratchet straps on the kayak and then take a piece of cord and loop it thru the handle and use a trucker's hitch to cinch it down to the rack. its a little more than hand tight, but the intent is to keep the item from leaving the support if a strap fails. the kayak might be bouncing around on the roof top carrier if the strap fails, but the extra rope will keep it from becoming airborne and going thru the windshield of the car behind me and give time to pull over and secure the load.

You know what works really well to protect straps on sharp corners, is vinyl baseboard corners. I cut them to width and keep a handful around. The corner stiffeners from packing work well, too, don't compress much, and have been more durable for me than box cardboard in lousy weather.

I see a strap chafing and it worries me until I resolve it.

4wheelrunner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
N
hey guys, just wanted to provide an update, finally took the Gazelle T4 overland edition out camping, it totally lives up the to hype :grinning:. As for mounting it on roofrack, I added 6 lifting eye nut and used 3x NRS tie down cam straps and it was stout with zero movement at all. Thanks for everyones tips on this!
@Old Tanker, btw Sherpa rack works with standard 1/4”-20 x 3/4” stainless carriage bolts and 1/4” lifting eye nut.1B39D862-854F-466F-A92E-EDC4BA7589EE.jpeg

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
btw Sherpa rack works with standard 1/4”-20 x 3/4” stainless carriage bolts and 1/4” lifting eye nut.
Odd - I just tried a set of 1/4-20 carriage bolts from McMaster - none of them fit in my Sherpa rack. Too wide - maybe I can file them down.

4wheelrunner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
N
Odd - I just tried a set of 1/4-20 carriage bolts from McMaster - none of them fit in my Sherpa rack. Too wide - maybe I can file them down.
That’s interesting. I purchased fastenere bolts here from ebay, maybe McMasters have larger heads or perhaps Sherpa changed the rails. I received my rack 10/2020.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
That’s interesting. I purchased fastenere bolts here from ebay, maybe McMasters have larger heads or perhaps Sherpa changed the rails. I received my rack 10/2020.
Turns out that none of them fit into the first Sherpa bar I checked. The next day I tried other crossbars and the bolts fit into almost every one, including several recent purchases. Not sure why but not all bars are equal.