Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Thought everyone might like this, I carry a 20lb tank, I like to cook. Saw these and I looked them up. Very nice cylinders and 50% lighter than the steel type...https://www.vikingcylinders.com
Bought a 17lb in red, which is cool cause it goes with my color scheme. Other nice features are they don't blow up and you can see the level of propane in tank. Will go on my 20lb power tank mount. My build is almost complete, hope to go out in November.

View attachment 174863
Got my new 20lb tank and it is a beauty. Very light. Had to modify power tank bracket, cut and grind side tabs on bottom. Viking Cylinder has a broader base. Yes I am anal in regards to my color scheme. Put some stainless legs on the bottom also for added support. Viking Cylinder is a Norway company Hexagon Ragasco - Trusted by consumers and businesses worldwide Their propane tanks will not BLEVE. Nice thing for the offroad community.
View attachment 175324
That looks great. Have you had to fill it yet? I wonder if any shops would give you trouble. Not likely just curious.
They have a certificate that comes with them. Had no problem filling it, $20. I actually spied the bottle from a local propane company. They have millions of units out in production. DOT certified, along with other certifications. Was a cool find, super light even full.

Reactions: OverLamb24

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Got my new 20lb tank and it is a beauty. Very light. Had to modify power tank bracket, cut and grind side tabs on bottom. Viking Cylinder has a broader base. Yes I am anal in regards to my color scheme. Put some stainless legs on the bottom also for added support. Viking Cylinder is a Norway company Hexagon Ragasco - Trusted by consumers and businesses worldwide Their propane tanks will not BLEVE. Nice thing for the offroad community.
View attachment 175324
Where did you get it?

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
View attachment 175324
Where did you get it?

Reactions: bgenlvtex

overland.productions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Heath, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rayne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ENL
11 lb worthington with a power tank propane bracket (designed for the tank).

stickers.jpg

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

The baby one came in. My wife loves it because it is adorable. Once the big one is no longer serviceable I may be able to talk into two tens or much lighter 20. May not be long as it looks rough. Until then the little warrior will do fine for our shorter family trips.

Attachments

Reactions: Desert Runner

Texas Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast I

The Woodlands, TX, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kimball
Member #

View attachment 175324
That ruler looks handy. What a great idea.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
5lb manchester holds 1.4 gal of propane fills for $4-$5. (BTW the Shell Station near Spanish Trail in Moab, UT charges a minimum $5 for propane). Holds about 5 x 1lb disposables @ 13.98 for a 4 pack...so under $20 for 5. Much less space and Figure the price. I carry the disposables as back up, only advantage to disposables is you can store them sideways, upside down etc. and can be stored interior of vehicles according to DOT. Whereas bottles over the 16 Oz have to be stored upright and transported outside, RV's not included. I can run a Mr. Heater buddy for 25 hrs on a tank, cook on jet boil genesis, 3 meals a day for about 4 weeks on a tank. Mix it up and get a good 7 days + of needed heat and cooking fuel. That's usually for under 45 deg. nights. Either way I'm only set for 5 days of water at one time. So a good overlap and resupply point after 5 days in the backcountry. Go into town to re-arm and re-fit...have a few beers with the locals, and realize...I'm so glad I'm going back out there.

Shayhan27

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Pervere
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The best buy is the 20# tank. Disposable bottles just scream I really don't care. All the smaller choices 10#, 5# are expensive choices. In the design process if the 5#, 10# makes the design work definitely do it. But if the design process says a 20# works,,,,, just do it. Best buy for sure..

ps, if yer usage is miniscuke..... the using 3, 1# tanks a year is purely practicle. When one thinks of all the O2 bottles discarded on Everst every year....... one wonders about how many 1# propane bottles are thrown out every year...... and are they ever really recycled???

View attachment 174842

might be over the heads of a few, but can you justify the waste??
I refill my 1lb bottles, and will often recover disposed of bottles and refill them for friends. It's one of my complaints of the jet boil type stuff, and only use that when backpacking or in the field (army).

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

We currently use our home grill 15 lb propane tank since it is what we have, however as we are transition more to vehicle based travel it is a big tank to lug around. Im considering finding a 10 tank or two. What size tanks do everyone else use?
My primary use is 1 gallon Colman Tanks, which you can find a great deal at your local BJ's. I also have the Ignik Gas Growler from REI

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

5lb manchester holds 1.4 gal of propane fills for $4-$5. (BTW the Shell Station near Spanish Trail in Moab, UT charges a minimum $5 for propane). Holds about 5 x 1lb disposables @ 13.98 for a 4 pack...so under $20 for 5. Much less space and Figure the price. I carry the disposables as back up, only advantage to disposables is you can store them sideways, upside down etc. and can be stored interior of vehicles according to DOT. Whereas bottles over the 16 Oz have to be stored upright and transported outside, RV's not included. I can run a Mr. Heater buddy for 25 hrs on a tank, cook on jet boil genesis, 3 meals a day for about 4 weeks on a tank. Mix it up and get a good 7 days + of needed heat and cooking fuel. That's usually for under 45 deg. nights. Either way I'm only set for 5 days of water at one time. So a good overlap and resupply point after 5 days in the backcountry. Go into town to re-arm and re-fit...have a few beers with the locals, and realize...I'm so glad I'm going back out there.
What do you do with the empty 1lb. bottles?

For those of you who have the 5lb or other size tanks on your rigs, do you ever have to have the tanks/seals inspected or serviced? I'm just wondering about using the same tank long term if there's any type of maintenance or anything to prevent leaks or to make sure it's always good to go. I've never worried about it with the 20lb tanks for my grill. I've just always assumed that the company checks the tank when I exchange it before they refill it and put it back out.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

I pulled the trigger and bought a 10lb Ignik growler. Thoroughly enjoying its portability and capacity. I am typically cooking for one so I’m not using it for extended cooking. In addition, to save time I use my Jetboil for coffee & tea. This helps prolong the life of the Ignik. So far it seems like it could easily go for 5-7 days before refilling, I plan on doing more testing to hone those numbers down. The cozy it’s insulated in has worked great in low temps. I’m pleased with it.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For those of you who have the 5lb or other size tanks on your rigs, do you ever have to have the tanks/seals inspected or serviced? I'm just wondering about using the same tank long term if there's any type of maintenance or anything to prevent leaks or to make sure it's always good to go. I've never worried about it with the 20lb tanks for my grill. I've just always assumed that the company checks the tank when I exchange it before they refill it and put it back out.
I just got a five lb. and it's the same connection as a twenty pound tank. Not sure how big the tank before it would change?? Anything portable probably the same brass screw connection.