Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

We currently use our home grill 15 lb propane tank since it is what we have, however as we are transition more to vehicle based travel it is a big tank to lug around. Im considering finding a 10 tank or two. What size tanks do everyone else use?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm still using the 1lb.. Just haven't worked out a good system yet for a larger tank, and so far it's been working out pretty well. I carry 3 and last almost a week apiece. We do make coffee on the butane single burner and that lasts a few weeks, but that's all we use it for. This year, with all happening, we haven't done much duration camping, week or two at the most.

Reactions: Shayhan27

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

I still use 1lb green bottles but 6lbs tanks are very popular too. A bit expensive when you have to buy a 6lb tank and tank bracket. But the size seems like a great way to do it. I personally don't use mush propane so I can't justify the price and space

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought a very low profile 11 pound tank off amazon...works great and i mount it in my rooftop cargo basket

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We have a 5lb tank, its a great size for truck based stuff. We don't have ours with a bracket or mounted but we just shove it in a box and it works great for that.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

A 5lb tank is what we use. Plenty of gas for cooking and hot showers. Plus you can fill them up all over the place and its usually cheaper than buying a 1lb tank. Last time Uhaul charged me $3.75 for a completely empty tank.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We use the 1 lb bottles - carry two - one in use, one spare. In 149 nights camping we used 3 bottles. - typically one hot meal a day - we make coffee in a Handpresso. We keep the bottles in one of the storage drawers inside - secure and easily accessible.

Reactions: Shayhan27

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The best buy is the 20# tank. Disposable bottles just scream I really don't care. All the smaller choices 10#, 5# are expensive choices. In the design process if the 5#, 10# makes the design work definitely do it. But if the design process says a 20# works,,,,, just do it. Best buy for sure..

ps, if yer usage is miniscuke..... the using 3, 1# tanks a year is purely practicle. When one thinks of all the O2 bottles discarded on Everst every year....... one wonders about how many 1# propane bottles are thrown out every year...... and are they ever really recycled???

ESA_collecting_oxygen_cylinders_and_other_cans_at_South_col.jpg

might be over the heads of a few, but can you justify the waste??

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

20lb, sometimes shit happens and your stuck in a spot overnight or longer. And from experience once It cold out a 1lb tank don't last long for keeping warm, back when I used 1lb tanks it would take at least 3-4 per night to stay comfortable then another 1lb in the morning to warm up and cook something. If it's your only source of heat or cooking you'd better have enough.

Last edited:

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

The best buy is the 20# tank. Disposable bottles just scream I really don't care. All the smaller choices 10#, 5# are expensive choices. In the design process if the 5#, 10# makes the design work definitely do it. But if the design process says a 20# works,,,,, just do it. Best buy for sure..

ps, if yer usage is miniscuke..... the using 3, 1# tanks a year is purely practicle. When one thinks of all the O2 bottles discarded on Everst every year....... one wonders about how many 1# propane bottles are thrown out every year...... and are they ever really recycled???

might be over the heads of a few, but can you justify the waste??
Flame King makes refillable 1lb bottles that fill from a standard, exchangeable 20lb tank. Pretty easy to do and doesn't require anything more than the adapter/valve and a hex key.

I really want to go with a 5lb tank but it's getting harder and harder to find places to fill and not just exchange.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Thought everyone might like this, I carry a 20lb tank, I like to cook. Saw these and I looked them up. Very nice cylinders and 50% lighter than the steel type...https://www.vikingcylinders.com
Bought a 17lb in red, which is cool cause it goes with my color scheme. Other nice features are they don't blow up and you can see the level of propane in tank. Will go on my 20lb power tank mount. My build is almost complete, hope to go out in November.

IMG_8759.jpeg

Last edited:

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Flame King makes refillable 1lb bottles that fill from a standard, exchangeable 20lb tank. Pretty easy to do and doesn't require anything more than the adapter/valve and a hex key.

I really want to go with a 5lb tank but it's getting harder and harder to find places to fill and not just exchange.
Local store, Sports Basement, give 'free' exchanges of these Flame King 1 lb bottles to members ($2 w/o membership). The bottles itself are $17/ea.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Local store, Sports Basement, give 'free' exchanges of these Flame King 1 lb bottles to members ($2 w/o membership). The bottles itself are $17/ea.
I'd love to find a shop that would swap them for $2. It's not bad to fill but it's honestly not worth my time to save the $1 a pop at that price... I only do it to save the waste.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Thought everyone might like this, I carry a 20lb tank, I like to cook. Saw these and I looked them up. Very nice cylinders and 50% lighter than the steel type...https://www.vikingcylinders.com
Bought a 17lb in red, which is cool cause it goes with my color scheme. Other nice features are they don't blow up and you can see the level of propane in tank. Will go on my 20lb power tank mount. My build is almost complete, hope to go out in November.

View attachment 174863
Got my new 20lb tank and it is a beauty. Very light. Had to modify power tank bracket, cut and grind side tabs on bottom. Viking Cylinder has a broader base. Yes I am anal in regards to my color scheme. Put some stainless legs on the bottom also for added support. Viking Cylinder is a Norway company Hexagon Ragasco - Trusted by consumers and businesses worldwide Their propane tanks will not BLEVE. Nice thing for the offroad community.
IMG_8780.jpeg

Charlie Toner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cobourg, ON, Canada
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Toner
Member #

I carry a 20lb tank but still have to figure out a way to properly secure it. The 1lb tanks just don't last when trying to heat a tent in cold weather and good a large meal for everyone. Looking for diy ideas on a Jeep jku

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

View attachment 174863
Got my new 20lb tank and it is a beauty. Very light. Had to modify power tank bracket, cut and grind side tabs on bottom. Viking Cylinder has a broader base. Yes I am anal in regards to my color scheme. Put some stainless legs on the bottom also for added support. Viking Cylinder is a Norway company Hexagon Ragasco - Trusted by consumers and businesses worldwide Their propane tanks will not BLEVE. Nice thing for the offroad community.
View attachment 175324
That looks great. Have you had to fill it yet? I wonder if any shops would give you trouble. Not likely just curious.