Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It seems every year fire restrictions out here get stricter and stricter. Some places I go, the fire cant touch the ground, some no wood fires. I have a real nice wood fire pit but it seems propane is more excepted across the board. Over the last couple of years I have seen most propane fire pit brands used by other people. Some worked well, most did not. The prices are all over the board, most being more than I want to spend. The biggest issue I have is, their not that good if you have more than a few people. Ground fires can be sized to fit the group.

The last trip I went on, we had 5 fire pits set up, one of which was in a 50 Cal ammo can. Aside from the "bullet box" fire, the others in a group did well (it was about 35 degrees out). A big advantage is one 30 pound propane bottle seems to last a few days and takes up way less space then several days of firewood. Another issue I have is no easy access to firewood other than spending a ton of money buying "firewood bundles" at the hardware store. This would be based on a desert trip not a forest trip.

Some of my personal trips into the desert may last several days. A personal propane pit will save me the trouble of scrounging 3+ days of fire wood for a last minute trip.

Now for the first part of my project.
1. 30 gal oil can cut to 20" tall.
2. 12" Firepit Burner
3. Air mix valve Propane can throw soot when it burns. This keeps the flame clean and make it burn hotter by adding air. I've seen people post about their propane fire pit being real sooty. The company that made it needed to add in one of these.
4. Assorted 1/2 threaded pipe from Home depo
5. Quick release fitting, 1/4' ball valve and hose from my junk pile.

I still need to add in some screen below the burner and either fire rocks or logs. my next trip is coming up in a few weeks and I think I'm going to see how the size works out. I may cut it down to 10" high from the 20" it is now.

When its done, I'll add something along the top edge to clean it up then paint it. The hole in the side is for lighting it. Needless to say, I added that after loosing all the hair off my hand. There are a series of 1" holes along the bottom also.

Fire pit 2.jpg Fire pit 3.jpg

This is with the valve cracked open, very little. Full open valve, the fire goes about six feet up.
After I use it on my next trip, I may add in more holes but need to see it with the rocks inside.
The stainless ring on top is from my wood fire pit. I wanted to see if it did anything to the flame size, it did nothing. That I wont add something like it when its finished. I'm also not sure what to do about the lava rock I will be adding. Keep it in a separate bag? Not sure.

Fire pit 4.jpg
More to follow in a couple of weeks after testing and refining.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
OK
Went to store and got some lava rock. I wanted bigger but this was all they had. Funny thing, I live in a volcanic area, I can drive to the desert and get my own.

Here's what it looks like through the rock. Not bad. Still not sure what I'm going to carry the rock in.
No I didnt set the garage on fire, its actually just outside of it. This is on low setting. Gonna need a better valve.

Fire pit 5.jpg

Reactions: MazeVX

Errant

Rank I

Enthusiast I

California, USA
First Name
Kristina
Last Name
Price
Would an adjustable regulator give you better flame control, rather than the ball valve you tried? Something like the GasOne 2109?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Absolutely. I need a few more tweaks and i think i'll be good.
Finally got to use it camping last weekend. The flame was way more manageable in the lower temps. That is until the bottle started frosting. Now Im faced with the same issue all the store bought ones I have been around seem to have. Flame was no higher than 6 inch's. I read that if the hose ID is too small this can happen. I got a high flow hose to test but I need cooler weather.
My other options are smaller or less holes in the flame plate or something to warm the bottle.

Reactions: Errant