Propane conundrum

• HTML tutorial

DC1983

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

ST. LOUIS, MO
Member #

I am looking for a two burner propane stove that I can use my 5lb propane tank with. The caveat, I do NOT want to use the regulator arm that comes with most propane stoves.

Tank>hose(with regulator at the tank)>stove

why is it so hard to find a stove with standard MIP or flare fittings for the gas inlet? Or, just a normal thread pitch to adapt my 3/8” flare from the hose.

Also, I don’t want to spend more than $150

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a cook partner, love it. It doesn't fit in your budget, the price of quality only stings once.

Reactions: Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
why is it so hard to find a stove with standard MIP or flare fittings for the gas inlet?
well, fittings are made for certain applications. MIP stands for Male Iron Pipe, which is a tapered thread that seals as it is threaded deeper into the female fitting...FIP, Female Iron Pipe. The seal is made by the tapered threads making a tighter seal as the taper is forced deeper into the female opening. These fittings usually use teflon tape to help lube the threads and allow them to wedge more the tighter you turn it. That kind of seal is a permanent seal, like using iron pipe to run natural gas into your house...it is not intended to be taken apart after it is installed. Most of your LP fittings are intended to be snugged up for use and then taken apart for storage and the MIP would not be practical for that. LP fittings have a straight thread with ends that seal with either an o-ring or a JIC type fitting where the straight threads allow you to tighten the fitting, but the actual seal comes from a tapered end made to fit its opposite profile or seals with an o-ring.

Reactions: Truckee and Road

18JL_ovlnd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stockton, CA 95219, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carraher
Member #

We purchased a eureka ignite about 6 months ago and I can confirm it works great, awesome burner control. We got a stansport flexible hose regulator for 1lb bottles because we hate the hard lines that come with these too. As far as your adapter issue for 5 lb I think you'll probably need to have something custom made as someone else suggested.