Project Overbite - '16 Subaru Crosstrek build log.

• HTML tutorial

jerb

Rank II

Enthusiast I

If I do the ADF kit, I know someone relatively local who has a lift that can help me install it. However I would likely have a shop do it because a alignment would be needed after the install, and said friend is in the Santa Cruz mountains. I do know that the job can be done in your garage with the car entirely on jack stands.
yea, the question is just which shop. :) I've chatted with a couple of people and there seems to be a little reluctance to install it if the kit isn't fabricated by themselves and the nearest ADF place is down in LA (Crestline). That being said, it's tempting to just try and do it myself, seems like it could be fun!

thebeardedboomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fairwood Boulevard Northeast, Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carrion
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMR652
yea, the question is just which shop. :) I've chatted with a couple of people and there seems to be a little reluctance to install it if the kit isn't fabricated by themselves and the nearest ADF place is down in LA (Crestline). That being said, it's tempting to just try and do it myself, seems like it could be fun!
True. Its a relatively easy install from what I've watched on youtube. However having someone there who has done it before is nice to have.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I drove mine about 20 miles to the alignment shop when I had my 2" lift done on my Outback and it was still well within factory specs when they checked it.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Its an easy task as long as you have the proper tools but, as has been discussed, you will need an alignment.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

jerb

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Its an easy task as long as you have the proper tools but, as has been discussed, you will need an alignment.
yeah. I was trying to avoid spamming up krazybastard's build thread too much but my reasoning is that I'm also about to get new tires/wheels, which would also require an alignment. So I'm considering trying to do it alone, finding/paying someone who can help, or finding a garage that can do it within the next week or so, so that I don't have pay for two alignments a week apart.

Anyway, good luck Krazy, let me know how it works out. :) I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

black86

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
awesome build! I'm planning on cutting my front bumper too once i source a 2018 bumper [emoji16] thanks for the inspiration. I've been looking to increase approach angle. I'm really impressed how much I can follow my landcruiser buddies with a/t tires... any other plans?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

thebeardedboomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carrion
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMR652
Just a few updates (long overdue)

November 2018 - Calico Ghost Town -

January 2019 - Yuba Goldfields Meet -

Small upgrade. A friend of mine rolled his Orange Crosstrek back in February 2019, which sadly totaled the car. But the bumper wasn't damaged and it's now been revived on my own Crosstrek. The bumper was built by StellarBuilt Faborcation of Elk Grove, CA.

May 2019. Just updating the lights. The small yellow pods are wired to the fog light switch.

June 2019 - Just a good mugshot.

And because no one makes cabinets or rear trunk accessories for Crosstrek, I made my own stuff.

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Love your cargo set up! I just started the process with mine. I took out pretty much everything in the rear hatch area. Gonna sound deaden it. And figure out storage stuff.

Your rig inspired me initially to start cutting into mine. I love where you’ve taken it

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Would you be willing to write up something or maybe post some pictures on how you did your cargo set up? The design I attempted ended up unsatisfactory for my goal. I’d love to see a little more of how you did it

Reactions: WY_Tigger

WY_Tigger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Burghard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7YKP
I would second the cargo area build write-up. Trying to figure out mine and would love to hear how you did yours, especially the cooler slide out.

Great build!

thebeardedboomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carrion
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMR652
The end of an era.

As of March 26th, Red has been traded in after 8 months of experiencing engine electrical problems. Even after they were resolved by the dealership, the warranty had already run out by the time I picked her up. She's been replaced with a new, 2023 Toyota Tacoma which only lasted three weeks before mods began. No name has been chosen for it yet.