Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I needed more room in my tj, and tried a roof rack. I really wasn't that happy...even moreso now that it is setting in my driveway. So I decided it was time to build a overland trailer. I looked at the little harbor freight trailer and decided most of it would have to be replaced. I looked at building one, but it was less expensive to buy the trailer at lowes. All metal with a floor, sides, 2000# axle, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (matches the tj).
I'm building this in phases, 1st buy the trailer and use it as it sets. Done!
2nd phase spring-over lift, cut and widen the axle, and put 33" tires and similar rims as what's on the jeep. Doing that so I dont need a spare tire for the trailer, and if I have a really bad day I have extra spare tires for the jeep. The extra clearance will help when pulling it off road. Almost done. Had to remove the fenders, and need to make new ones.
Up coming steps: extend the tongue; kayak mounts; dry storage for inside; articulating hitch/ able to be switched to a normal hitch; tool, battery, solar, hammock hanger??? Any ideas?

Attachments

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Nice job so far. I have the same trailer, I flipped the axle and lined the inside with treated plywood and mounted my RTT on unistrut.
I don’t care about matching wheels/tires, so I went with 15” white spoke trailer tires from fleet farm.
I used 1/2” spacers to widen the track enough to clear, I may widen the axel, but it works for now.
Phase 2 for me will be to lengthen the tongue and fab a mount for a dirt bike.87465AB3-8352-4E34-BC64-FFFB46919C95.jpeg91BA8515-CA49-4D1A-AE06-9FA484926550.jpeg

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Ideas? Yeah, Bearing Buddies to keep those puppies greased up, and a wheel jack to make moving it around a lot easier.
FJ & RTT at Mardi Krawl.jpg
If you plan on putting a RTT on it then get a couple of leveler jacks for the 2 rear corners...gives this little trailer 5 points of contact with the ground, very solid.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I used galvanized fenders from Northern Tool and modified them a bit to fit and welded them on

Reactions: Biker Eagle

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

A few more pictures of the build. Fenders are on, bed mat put in. Next to look at kayak and paddle board mounts...not to forget the axe and shovel mounts too

Attachments

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Sweet! Like the way you made your fenders. I think that trailer is going to work well for your Tj, I also think if a person wanted to take a Rave-4 type vehicle a little deeper off the beaten path, this trailer you are building would fit the bill. Nice work.

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I needed more room in my tj, and tried a roof rack. I really wasn't that happy...even moreso now that it is setting in my driveway. So I decided it was time to build a overland trailer. I looked at the little harbor freight trailer and decided most of it would have to be replaced. I looked at building one, but it was less expensive to buy the trailer at lowes. All metal with a floor, sides, 2000# axle, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (matches the tj).

This is awesome & a great way to get into an overland trailer & build it your way… most likely for way less than buying one built out. I’m doing the same but bought a used welding trailer off Craigslist. But will take much more work than your approach. Looking forward to see it evolve more. I’m adding aluminum side storage boxes for more closed storage… looks like you might be able to do the same thing in front & back of your wheels. Would 24l x 17w x 18h fit this trailer?
I'm building this in phases, 1st buy the trailer and use it as it sets. Done!
2nd phase spring-over lift, cut and widen the axle, and put 33" tires and similar rims as what's on the jeep. Doing that so I dont need a spare tire for the trailer, and if I have a really bad day I have extra spare tires for the jeep. The extra clearance will help when pulling it off road. Almost done. Had to remove the fenders, and need to make new ones.
Up coming steps: extend the tongue; kayak mounts; dry storage for inside; articulating hitch/ able to be switched to a normal hitch; tool, battery, solar, hammock hanger??? Any ideas?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK, I learned the hard way over time, so bear with me while I make these points. Oh, by the way, I'm very a--l retentive when it comes to preventative maintenance.

You will spin out the outer bearings using the stock toothpick axle. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. Because I can sometimes be a very stubborn & slow learner my trailer was laying on it's belly years ago along I-70 in Kansas. I replaced the axle right there along the highway. A year before that on I-70 near Green River Utah the bearing spun out but I reacted quickly enough to avoid destroying the spindle. I did a full bearing job right along the interstate. You will need at least a 3500 lb axle, preferably a dexter axle with the EZ lube zerk fittings. Lesson learned, eh?

Springs, any time we traversed washboard roads the slipper springs popped out. That happened twice, so I replaced the slipper springs with some dual eyelet springs rated at 2500 lbs. After some more modifications, which you will do, the trailer loaded with gear, water, extra gasoline, etc etc, I thought that 2500 lb springs would do the job for a trailer scaling out at 1400 lbs. Wrong again !! (LOL) Last trip out as we traversed the Lockhart Basin Trail from north to south the constant beating of a few years of off road use had taken its toll. The right side spring snapped, right in half. We set up camp at Hamburger Rock, and set out to find new springs. Thankfully a spring shop was open in Cortez, got back to camp and installed my brand new 5,000 lb "five leaf" springs.

Ah, but there is more. On that same trip we went to Kelly's Point Lookout which is one of the more technical and rough roads I'd been on in quite some time. It proved to be too much for the cheap ass stamped steel tongue on these trailers. So after more than 10 years of service life, while in the San Rafeal Swell, the tongue snapped cleanly in half. A roll off got the trailer to a shop and we piece mealed a tongue good enough to get us home. So, my words of advice ---- Axle, springs, tongue. Upgrade them all to well above what you think you might need. When you do the tongue have your welder run it all the way to the rear to tie everything in. Good luck & Good night !!

DSC00436.jpgIMG_0259.jpgIMG_0261.jpg

jcmorgan31

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Orleans, IN, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Morgan
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
A few more pictures of the build. Fenders are on, bed mat put in. Next to look at kayak and paddle board mounts...not to forget the axe and shovel mounts too
So that's how one bends metal without a metal brake! Genius!!! I need to bend some metal for a spare tire mount myself...

Trailer looks great so far!

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Revival... what axle to use as I am 2018 jl 5x5 bolt pattern and going spacers is just not going going to work
Well funny you should ask! I recently sold the TJ and bought a JKU...We just laid out some plans for the trailer tonight, that include swapping from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5 wheels.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

OK, I learned the hard way over time, so bear with me while I make these points. Oh, by the way, I'm very a--l retentive when it comes to preventative maintenance.

You will spin out the outer bearings using the stock toothpick axle. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. Because I can sometimes be a very stubborn & slow learner my trailer was laying on it's belly years ago along I-70 in Kansas. I replaced the axle right there along the highway. A year before that on I-70 near Green River Utah the bearing spun out but I reacted quickly enough to avoid destroying the spindle. I did a full bearing job right along the interstate. You will need at least a 3500 lb axle, preferably a dexter axle with the EZ lube zerk fittings. Lesson learned, eh?

Springs, any time we traversed washboard roads the slipper springs popped out. That happened twice, so I replaced the slipper springs with some dual eyelet springs rated at 2500 lbs. After some more modifications, which you will do, the trailer loaded with gear, water, extra gasoline, etc etc, I thought that 2500 lb springs would do the job for a trailer scaling out at 1400 lbs. Wrong again !! (LOL) Last trip out as we traversed the Lockhart Basin Trail from north to south the constant beating of a few years of off road use had taken its toll. The right side spring snapped, right in half. We set up camp at Hamburger Rock, and set out to find new springs. Thankfully a spring shop was open in Cortez, got back to camp and installed my brand new 5,000 lb "five leaf" springs.

Ah, but there is more. On that same trip we went to Kelly's Point Lookout which is one of the more technical and rough roads I'd been on in quite some time. It proved to be too much for the cheap ass stamped steel tongue on these trailers. So after more than 10 years of service life, while in the San Rafeal Swell, the tongue snapped cleanly in half. A roll off got the trailer to a shop and we piece mealed a tongue good enough to get us home. So, my words of advice ---- Axle, springs, tongue. Upgrade them all to well above what you think you might need. When you do the tongue have your welder run it all the way to the rear to tie everything in. Good luck & Good night !!

View attachment 214647View attachment 214648View attachment 214649
Great advice! Thank you.