• HTML tutorial

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
My name is Aaron. It's nice to meet you all, and thanks in advance.

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee xj, it's completely stock at this point. I have a major overhaul in the works once I take care of a thankfully short list of repairs.

The trip I'm preparing for is a on/off road trip to Nova Scotia in the late spring or early summer. So I have a 3in lift and 31s on the list. I plan to sleep in the cab so I need to free up some space, so a tire carrier is in order. I'm going solo so I need a way to recover myself. So a new bumper and winch should take care of that. For assurance I'm putting rock sliders on and if I can ,make some skid plates. I have a roof coffin for storage, and it leaves enough room for my mt. bike rack. I want to have a cabinet of some kind inside for a desk/ kitchen storage. More gas will be needed (she's a little bit of a heavy drinker) so I'm moding the tire carrier to carry more Jerry cans. Also to address comms, I'm getting a cb. I have a baofeng handheld that I'm going to get licenced to use. As for electrical stuff I want to put on good old KC lights, an inverter, and a new licence plate mount.

I have brands and specific parts in mind but before I put them in a post I'd like to hear what you suggest. One thing of note I'm not made of money, but I am not afraid to dish what I do have on quality parts.
Thank you again,
Aaron

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Hello Aaron! Sounds like you got a plan and good adventure ahead! Welcome.

Who's your doggo? I have a rescue pitbull Mastiff that loves hopping in the truck and going on a trip.

-A fellow Aaron

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Well he's a lab mutt. He's back home in Pa. I'm stationed in Norfolk, Va. So when I get a chance I go home and see him.

Reactions: DK_XV

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Got her up on a lift yesterday. Looks like my rear passenger side brake needs some work. Also my rear sway bar is a little too rusty for my liking.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Traveler I

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee xj, it's completely stock at this point. I have a major overhaul in the works once I take care of a thankfully short list of repairs.

The trip I'm preparing for is a on/off road trip to Nova Scotia in the late spring or early summer. So I have a 3in lift and 31s on the list. I plan to sleep in the cab so I need to free up some space, so a tire carrier is in order. I'm going solo so I need a way to recover myself. So a new bumper and winch should take care of that. For assurance I'm putting rock sliders on and if I can ,make some skid plates. I have a roof coffin for storage, and it leaves enough room for my mt. bike rack. I want to have a cabinet of some kind inside for a desk/ kitchen storage. More gas will be needed (she's a little bit of a heavy drinker) so I'm moding the tire carrier to carry more Jerry cans. Also to address comms, I'm getting a cb. I have a baofeng handheld that I'm going to get licenced to use. As for electrical stuff I want to put on good old KC lights, an inverter, and a new licence plate mount.

I have brands and specific parts in mind but before I put them in a post I'd like to hear what you suggest. One thing of note I'm not made of money, but I am not afraid to dish what I do have on quality parts.
Thank you again,
Aaron
You have aa nice project ahead and a great adventure coming. Welcome and congrats for the beautiful jeep

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: NiXJ

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Thank you again,
Aaron
Welcome and have fun with the XJ! They're great vehicles!

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road / Colorado Springs, CO

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Well I fixed the brakes.
cost
40$
And some of my sanity.
Sorry I have no pictures. I was seriously pushed for time.
One more thing, drum brakes are a pain in the rear.

Jason Mainville

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nice Cherokee! I love my '98. When looking for bumpers/tire carriers etc. remember you get what you pay for. And research, research research. I personally went with RockHard bumper. It came with tire carrier, a spot to attach a high lift jack, d-ring attachment points, trailer hitch, and they make additional racks to mount to the tire carrier for a Jerry can. There are also a number of quality forums for additional information for when you want to fix/modify other things. Keep the pictures coming!
-Jason

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Keep an eye out for used XJ parts! There are lots of XJs out there, and good deals if you have the time to watch and wait, with cash in your pocket! Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The XJs are incredible vehicles! It does surprise many how far a stock XJ can go when 4wheeling! You have a nice Jeep! Benz.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Well I was just going to get an 2.5 in OME lift done. Comes with some beefy leafs and gets the lift out of the way.
Can't go wrong with OME. I have their WJ springs sitting in my garage. Just waiting on the rest of the suspension parts to get in before I proceed with the lift.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

My first Jeep was a ‘98 XJ. Loved that thing. Originally put a RE 2”budget boost on and some 30” mud tires. Did everything I needed to it to do and more. Then after deployment I had all this money and nothing to spend it on but a huge lift for the XJ. Unfortunately I went way too big with the lift, 6.5” and 35” tires and it just got too impractical to do what I wanted to do so I ended up selling it.

Looking forward to following your build and seeing what mods you go with. Good luck and happy trails.

Reactions: NiXJ

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Well folks. It's going to be a bit till she's back on the road. I swerved to miss a deer and hit the guard rail. The engine is running. Hope there is nothing broken there. The front fender is screwed up. I am still a little out of it. I'll take pictures tomorrow.