Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Hey guys. Thought I would share my build up with you guys. (Long story)

Little history of myself. I’ve been an avid off-roader more of the rock crawling type. I have built a few rigs to concur the infamous Rubicon trail, Barrett Lake trail and a few other rock crawl trails. I’ve been a FCA dealership tech for nearly 20 years and love Jeeps but I’ve owned plenty make and model vehicles. Toyota was my favorite to build for the trails along with a samurai and Jeeps

Now I have been bitten by the “overland” bug. Budget minded is my goal, so sticking finding a vehicle that I have many avenues to benefit from between knowledge and contacts I chose to find a affordable Jeep Wrangler (affordable as in what I could afford by doing side jobs and saving money the wife won’t get PO’ed about lol)

After weeks of looking I found this 2002 TJ, seller was in a tight spot, needed tires desperately. The 33’s were shot. The soft top had seen better days, and a few other odds and ends. It had 194k in the clock (nothing for a well kept 4.0ltr) 5 sp trans and already had the slip yoke eliminator done. Has a 4” pro-crap lift. Biggest downfall is no A/C. And anyone who knows how the summers get in Sacramento valley, having no air conditioner SUCKS! And it also has a Garvin rack and a wore out smittybilt 8k winch

I wound up driving it home for $4500 and for a semi clean TJ, that’s a heck of a deal. Score!

It sat in the garage for a few weeks while I collected more cash together and pondering what and how I want to build it. Keeping it a LCG is my main goal and fitting the largest tire I can without cutting anything up. The Jeep came with the crappy Dana 35 rear diff and I knew I had to get that replaced with a Dana 44. But choosing a tire was first priority. 4 wheel parts had a hell of a deal going on tires and I picked up 5 35” BFG KM2’s. Sweet! Now I have to re-gear the diffs for the bigger tires, but now gotta find diffs.......(it’s supposed to be fun right?$$$)

Luckily for me, I know a lot of people who are into building/upgrading rigs and my buddy calls and says I have a Dana 44 rear with disc brakes you can have if you help put my lift and new rubicon axles in. HELL YEAH!

My front Dana 30 I was going to live with, they aren’t bad as long as you’re nice to it with the skinny pedal. But if I could find an affordable 44, that would be choice. Just very hard to come by that are affordable with my budget

In the mean time, I found a hard top on Facebook marketplace for $250 in near perfect condition. Just needed paint.

I am personal friends with the owners of Metalcloak. Matson is the marketing director and a super great guy. He calls up and says “hey man, just put in a order for your TJ. Front and rear bumpers and a tire swing out” [emoji15] You’re kidding right???? So awesome and project “shoestring” stays on course!!! Then my long time friend, the owner of Cloakworks says “ you can’t put that ugly wore out smittybilt winch on the new bumper. Says I got you a killer price in a new Warn winch with synthetic rope. I am speechless. I love my friends, and not because they hooked me up. It’s just what we do for each other.

The dealership I work for had a JK outfitted with a lift kit, wheels tires and a smittybilt RTT on the showroom floor. Someone bought it and didn’t want the RTT. The RTT sat in the parts dept for months and I kept asking about it. Finally the manager says “you want that thing? We’re tired of tripping over it”. Hell ya! $400 and it’s yours. “I’ll be right back!”

My most recent find is a front Dana 44 housing off Facebook marketplace. Guy was wanting $250 for the empty housing. After messaging back and forth, we settled on $150. Now I have to find axle shafts, carrier and buy gears and re-build kit and finally stuff both front and rear 44’s under the Jeep.

After 11 months of having this Jeep, this is where it’s at. I’ve only been able to do one camp trip with my daughter a couple weekends ago. Was more of a shakedown run to figure out what and what isn’t needed to bring along. Storage is a struggle and my OCD was off the scale. Fortunately I’m in no hurry and it’s just a toy that I have less than 7k wrapped up into for now. I’ve been good at keeping it a low budget project. Once I get the re-geared diffs put in and storage figured out. It’ll be ready to hit a lot more back country. And get air conditioning!!!!!

Now I will say, if any of you have a Jeep Wrangler of any kind and are looking for absolute quality upgrades. Call Metalcloak. They are a top notch company. Yes I’m friends with them, but I’m not just boasting about the company because of that. Because their products and customer service is like none others out there. You most definitely will not be disappointed.

Thanks for reading my story. I do plan on adding more chapters and I hope to meet you guys on the trails and swap stories, I usually don’t talk this much in person lol

_storage_emulated_0_Download_00F0F_bOPFiWlaz0g_1200x900.jpg_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20171024_180237.jpg_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20171024_180246.jpg
How it came home looking

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20171027_205627.jpg
New tires!!!

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20180324_125458.jpg
Test fitting the RTT

IMG_0461.JPG
New Metalcloak bumper, warn winch and headlights

IMG_0454.JPG
Metalcloak rear bumper swingout and accessory mount. Trashoroo, Rotopax and highlift jack

IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
Our first camp trip with the Jeep to middlefork consumnes river up hwy 88
Many more to come!

Advocate II

That’s an awesome looking build! I recently got a TJ that was previously built for crawling but it’s making the transition to an Overlander. I’m struggling with the storage situation, however. How did you build and design yours?! It looks great. Here’s my build.
IMG_2275.JPGIMG_2381.JPG

Reactions: Arailt and GHQ1

Advocate II

How is it driving with the RTT on the rack? I’m considering getting a rack and putting the tent on top but I’m also concerned about the center of gravity being way off. My TJ has a 4 in suspension lift with a 1 in body lift.

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
How is it driving with the RTT on the rack? I’m considering getting a rack and putting the tent on top but I’m also concerned about the center of gravity being way off. My TJ has a 4 in suspension lift with a 1 in body lift.
I really don’t notice much stability difference. But I also haven’t gotten into any real bad off camber situations either. I have a 4” lift also
It definitely doesn’t help the fuel mileage
If I were you, I would highly consider removing the body lift if you can. My experience with body lifts, they can create more issues than not. Just my .02

Reactions: BigFootAdventures

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
So I’ve finally got to drive the Jeep around a little bit since I put the 44’s in. The alignment was WAY off. Had it aligned today and asked them to put in as much caster as possible. Steers and handled much better now.
But I put 4.88 gears in with the Dana 44’s and man, I think I chose too high of a gear ratio for 35” tires. 22-2300 rpm at cruising 60’ish mph.
Will be better for crawling l, but not a happy freeway rpm.......and really don’t want 37” tires

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Been a while since I’ve updated my build progress here.
Back in November I believe I entered a contest through Metalcloak to win $5k in Metalcloak product and I think I used all the luck I’ve had saved up because I won! [emoji41]

I had a really hard decision deciding on what lift to choose. Being I have a history of building and doing real rock crawling I was ready to pull the trigger on a long arm kit. But for this particular build of project shoestring, “hardcore” rock crawling was never my intentions with this ‘ol girl. The TJ has a 4” lift that I was removing. Finally decided on the short arm 3.5” lift and the Overland fenders and body armor. I went 3.5” for a few reasons besides the lack of articulation. Ride quality will still be great being a low lift, I’ll never (maybe[emoji6]) go bigger than 35” tires, I still want to reach my RTT and I still want to park in my garage
5 grand worth of products pretty much got me anything and everything that Metalcloak makes for a TJ besides what I already had from them. So it’s easy to say that my Jeep is fully “cloaked”. All the fenders and rear body armor are done, lift kit done, steering box rock guard done. I still haven’t install the oil pan skid plate system and gas tank skid system. So far I am really happy with the fit and finish of everything.
I measured the Jeep before and after total height and going from a 4” to a 3.5” I legitimately lost a 1/2” from 82”-81 1/2” floor to top roof rack bar and gained huge amounts of wheel well opening going with the overland fenders
Here are some pics of the stuff I’ve installed and not installed showing a real comparison of before and after IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1266.JPGIMG_1249.JPGIMG_1214.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt