Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

We push our rides, even modify them to go beyond the intended limits of the manufacture. Eventually something will go wrong.

For the last 18 months I have been resurrecting an Isuzu Vehicross (amazing vehicle btw) that was probably scrap yard bound when I got, and it has been going well, mostly. I was on some very light trails, mostly sand and mud, but nothing too daring, and the Mass Air Flow Sensor took a dump. Made the engine run terribly, and I was able to limp it home. It drank a lot of fuel on the ride home. Almost half a tank in 30 miles, which is around 2(ish) miles to the gallon. I didn’t it was the MAF until I got home to my OBD2 reader. I got a new MAF sensor and it’s running normally again and it’s ready for more trials before I try getting anything resembling being truly remote. I now keep the OBD2 reader in the glove box.

A MAF sensor is not normally something that goes wrong, so there is no real “planning” for that to fail. Still, it got me to thinking about being prepared when being remote. There is a lot that most people don’t really think about, and there is also being over prepared.

I usually bring things like a tool kit, a spare belt, fluids, that kind of thing. For the most part I am confident in my ability to at least limp my vehicle home.

How prepared is “over-prepared”? Should I have wheel bearings? Seems like much, but they can fail. A welder?

All of these items also take up space and add weight. I realize there is a balance that must be maintained and each persons needs/wants are different.

What are some ways you have experienced or observed a breakdown while off-road that made you change what you include in your tool/spare parts kit?

Bordan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Auckland NZ
First Name
Boris
Last Name
Kostrencic
Member #

We push our rides, even modify them to go beyond the intended limits of the manufacture. Eventually something will go wrong.

For the last 18 months I have been resurrecting an Isuzu Vehicross (amazing vehicle btw) that was probably scrap yard bound when I got, and it has been going well, mostly. I was on some very light trails, mostly sand and mud, but nothing too daring, and the Mass Air Flow Sensor took a dump. Made the engine run terribly, and I was able to limp it home. It drank a lot of fuel on the ride home. Almost half a tank in 30 miles, which is around 2(ish) miles to the gallon. I didn’t it was the MAF until I got home to my OBD2 reader. I got a new MAF sensor and it’s running normally again and it’s ready for more trials before I try getting anything resembling being truly remote. I now keep the OBD2 reader in the glove box.

A MAF sensor is not normally something that goes wrong, so there is no real “planning” for that to fail. Still, it got me to thinking about being prepared when being remote. There is a lot that most people don’t really think about, and there is also being over prepared.

I usually bring things like a tool kit, a spare belt, fluids, that kind of thing. For the most part I am confident in my ability to at least limp my vehicle home.

How prepared is “over-prepared”? Should I have wheel bearings? Seems like much, but they can fail. A welder?

All of these items also take up space and add weight. I realize there is a balance that must be maintained and each persons needs/wants are different.

What are some ways you have experienced or observed a breakdown while off-road that made you change what you include in your tool/spare parts kit?
I go with the thought process of if I can limp it to somewhere I can fix it I don't need to carry it. So wheel bearings can stop you moving, they are small and not too heavy so carry them. A welder... not. Btw you can actually weld using 2 or 3 batteries so if you are running multiple batteries in the vehicle that is a good option. Just my 2 cents worth.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
There are different aspects to preparedness and dependability with your vehicle.
-Quality of part-choosing a quality vehicle, with good support. Reputation, experience and track record help make the decision.
-Condition of part-verifying parts are in good working condition by inspection and testing, or replacing part.
-Ability to diagnose problem or failure-familiarity with your vehicle and it’s various systems to know what is wrong when it goes wrong. A service manual goes a long way here.
-Ability to fix or replace problem or part- again a service manual can help a lot here and also doing quick fixes using other supplies. Carrying spare parts, tools, supplies.
-Unforeseeable-hard to predict and hard to prevent, unforseeable risk is everywhere though. Being smart and using common sense goes a long way.

I have a 26 year old truck so I carry a lot of parts and tools but I wouldn’t say I’m over prepared since I usually travel solo with my wife and kids to remote locations which warrants having all that stuff since we are a far way from help. I’ve baselined my truck and am very familiar with all its systems. And still, anyth8ng can happen out there so for that I have a InReach which gives a good sense of security if the worse case happens.