Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

I'm considering turning my 2013 Toyota Pre-runner into an hardcore soft roader if that makes sense, and am looking for suggestions besides just get a 4x4. I'd like to pick the brains off others out there that have some experience with this...I know I can't be the only one!
My plan before I start is to install a torsen locker, bigger tires than the stockers on there now, 33" or 35". 35's will require more work but would it be worth it? Off road bumper with winch and lighten up where it makes sense.
Has anyone done this before?

D

Deleted member 14476

I'm considering turning my 2013 Toyota Pre-runner into an hardcore soft roader if that makes sense, and am looking for suggestions besides just get a 4x4. I'd like to pick the brains off others out there that have some experience with this...I know I can't be the only one!
My plan before I start is to install a torsen locker, bigger tires than the stockers on there now, 33" or 35". 35's will require more work but would it be worth it? Off road bumper with winch and lighten up where it makes sense.
Has anyone done this before?
Start with 33’s. Bigger tires puts more stress on all wearable components faster, youll have less power, less mpg, overall itll be more work. If youre ok with that then heck yeah go for the 35’s, but even on my silverado im wary about going that big.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

The thought about 35's is more for the eye pleasing effect than practical. I don't think I want to re-gear, upgrade bearings etc just to "look cool" and because it's only a 4x2 there's no real advantage I can see other than ground clearance.

D

Deleted member 14476

The thought about 35's is more for the eye pleasing effect than practical. I don't think I want to re-gear, upgrade bearings etc just to "look cool" and because it's only a 4x2 there's no real advantage I can see other than ground clearance.
100%