Power windows can go down, but not up?

• HTML tutorial

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I actually have 2 questions that Id like help with and Im being serious. Please don't laugh- I have no one else to ask these questions to...

1) I have a 2017 Rubicon and the windows button I can press till they click and they can go down by themselves, but I can't do that going up....I have to sit and hold the button up.
IS THAT NORMAL??? That seems crazy to me!

2) This may sound silly but it really is driving me crazy also- my antennae, on the right side of my vehicle, wibble-wobbles in the wind as I drive and I see it out of the corner of my eye and Im constantly looking at it. Does anyone else's do this? IS THIS NORMAL???

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I don't have a jeep, but everything I have ever had with power windows operated as you have described. "Safety feature"

Check to be sure your antenna is tight. And yes a wobbling antenna bugs me also.

Reactions: Roxxie

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I don't have a jeep, but everything I have ever had with power windows operated as you have described. "Safety feature"

Check to be sure your antenna is tight. And yes a wobbling antenna bugs me also.
Oh! Never thought of that (safety feature)...thought it might be defective! That actually makes sense. Thanks!
Ill look at antennae...but figured it shouldnt wobble that much....

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

The antenna could just be loose like gandrimp said. My 4Runner actually came with a small plastic tool that fits over the antenna to help tighten it down without scratching the antenna. Not sure if Jeeps have that or not. As far as the power windows it just depends on the vehicle and manufacturer. My 2012 4Runner as auto up and down for all windows. My 2014 Subaru Forester just had driver's auto down no auto up.

Reactions: DanR and Roxxie

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

If the antenna really bothers you that much, you can get a shorter antenna that will be out of your line of sight.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I actually have 2 questions that Id like help with and Im being serious. Please don't laugh- I have no one else to ask these questions to...

1) I have a 2017 Rubicon and the windows button I can press till they click and they can go down by themselves, but I can't do that going up....I have to sit and hold the button up.
IS THAT NORMAL??? That seems crazy to me!

2) This may sound silly but it really is driving me crazy also- my antennae, on the right side of my vehicle, wibble-wobbles in the wind as I drive and I see it out of the corner of my eye and Im constantly looking at it. Does anyone else's do this? IS THIS NORMAL???
Did the windows ever go up all they way with just one click? I have also heard of reset procedures for the auto functions of windows.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Did the windows ever go up all they way with just one click? I have also heard of reset procedures for the auto functions of windows.
No, they didn't that I can recall....just figured if my van had windows that did that- then it probably was standard on all vehicles?! But as a safety feature it makes sense! (to not)

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

THEY HAVE SHORTY ANTENNEAS FOR ABOUT 15 -20 DOLLARS. I CHANGED MINE OUT THE WEEK I BOUGHT MINE. AND THEY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE TALL STOCK ONE.

Arcanus

Rank 0

Traveler I

I cannot speak to your specific vehicle, but many (probably most) newer vehicle's power windows operate as you describe. It is generally considered unsafe to 'auto up.' I have driven several vehicles that have a milti-position switch that, when pushed all the way down, will auto down. There may be a middle position that stops when you let off, in case you want to just crack the window. Also in my experience, my massive bear-claw hands and sausage fingers always overshoot said position. It is too easy to miss...

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

on some vehicles if you have auto down it is 50:50 of they go up automatically, you can try putting the window down all the way and then hold the up button for the window to close and when it goes all the way up keep holding the up button for about 10-15 seconds, that should set the window to go up automatically if your vehicle has that window option setting

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

on some vehicles if you have auto down it is 50:50 of they go up automatically, you can try putting the window down all the way and then hold the up button for the window to close and when it goes all the way up keep holding the up button for about 10-15 seconds, that should set the window to go up automatically if your vehicle has that window option setting
Ill try that! Thanks!!!!

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
Its actually a feature that some vehicles have and others dont. My driver side windows will auto up but the passenger wont (f250). My Tundra would only auto down but the 1794 and platinum models would auto up and down. I believe its more of a luxury item then it is for safety. All windows should stop if you put enough resistance to them going up. Thats the safety feature.
If you carefully push/pull the window switch you may actually be able to feel the two stage switch click. If you only slightly push/pull the switch it will only go down/up as long as you hold the switch. If you push/pull the switch all the way down/up it will auto up/down. Unless you only have the auto down function.