Enthusiast I

Ontario
First Name
Calvin
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BEE
Looks like this topic has been well covered and I think you are on the right track. I recommend getting out, whether it be your driveway or the bush, and cook a few meals with what you've got before investing too much. You may soon find out you don't really need much, that some things work great, others not so much, or there are some items you may be missing and wish you had. I travel with a chuck box in the form of a 12x12x12 in box, roughly. I prefer items that pull double duty. A square Tupperware bowl can hold a sandwich, stew, or a steak. They often have lids and stack well to save space. I like pots and pans that will take the SAME size lid (whether improvised or purpose made) which may also be used like a tray to hold food. Cups and a kettle are about the only things I went 'shopping' for. The Stanley Adventure Nesting Two Cup Cook Set comes with cups, about the size of a small coffee mug, made of a thick plastic material that makes a hot beverage easy to hold on to, unlike a tin or enamel cup. I can fit a spirit burner and a few beverage packs inside too.

Reactions: Old Tanker

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

1. Use what you have on hand; a dollar in kit is a dollar not in your tank
2. Heavy kit chews more gas, so if you‘re buying new, consider how long what you’re buying will last, and decide if cheap and short lived is better than more costly and longer lasting
3. If you want to keep weight down, buy backpacking gear; we do a lot of long treks, so our kitchen gear is extremely light and compact (MSR titanium and a Whisperlite stove)
4. I agree with comments on cast iron or high carbon steel - it’s pretty much impossible to wreck; if you go that route buy a cheap chainmail scrubber, and all you need to keep it usable is water)
5. @Alanymarce has a great list; pretty much mirrors our own for over landing

Our gear isn’t cheap, but we’ve built it up over many years; our commitment was to start with what we had, and then slowly replace with higher quality gear. We prioritise high strength, low weight because of the amount of walking we do with our gear - so titanium and lightweight stainless steel form the bulk of our kit. The benefit of this for overlanding is that we have a very light and compact load.

Reactions: Downs