GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I'm in the process of putting together a camp kitchen chuck box, and I'm about to focus on pots, pans, and dishes. Is there any reason I shouldn't use regular houseware items for a camp kitchen? We have some old pots and pans, and my wife has been after me to throw them away. I was considering saving a frying pan and a pot to put in my camp kitchen kit. I was also thinking of going to the dollar store and grabbing 4 plastic plates and a cheap flatware set, along with a couple dollar store wooden spoons and tongs to pack into the box. I will primarily be cooking on a Coleman stove or a camp gas grill. I think some hot dog skewers will have to go into that box as well! Never know when you will be allowed to have an open fire. Gotta take advantage of that situation with hot dogs and smores! So my question again; any reason I shouldn't use regular houseware items? I would stay away from any items of dubious quality at the dollar store, but I am aiming to do this on the cheap!

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Randun

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I'm also interested in this. We currently have a kitchen box for camping, but there are some things that do double duty in the house. I'm inclined to have two completely separate setup (one for home/one for camping). Wondering what everyone's experience is.

Right now, our cast iron pan and griddle, small pot, and BBQ tools (tongs/spatula) pull double duty.

I'd like to keep everything packed into as little space as possible (the Coleman stove kinda dictates the minimun box size at this time).

Reactions: Randun and GLOCKer

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I'm a huge huge fan of cast iron when im out in the truck. It's just so easy to clean no matter what you cook in it (if it's taken care of properly, that is). It does add a lot of weight if you have several pieces though. as far as utensils and other kitchenware, I absolutely just grab old stuff from the home kitchen. utensils and the like. nothing wrong at all with using household items. if it's good enough for the house, it's good enough for the bush!

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I'm in the process of putting together a camp kitchen chuck box, and I'm about to focus on pots, pans, and dishes. Is there any reason I shouldn't use regular houseware items for a camp kitchen? We have some old pots and pans, and my wife has been after me to throw them away. I was considering saving a frying pan and a pot to put in my camp kitchen kit. I was also thinking of going to the dollar store and grabbing 4 plastic plates and a cheap flatware set, along with a couple dollar store wooden spoons and tongs to pack into the box. I will primarily be cooking on a Coleman stove or a camp gas grill. I think some hot dog skewers will have to go into that box as well! Never know when you will be allowed to have an open fire. Gotta take advantage of that situation with hot dogs and smores! So my question again; any reason I shouldn't use regular houseware items? I would stay away from any items of dubious quality at the dollar store, but I am aiming to do this on the cheap!
Other than weight and size, I see no reason not to. I have table wear and pots and pans in my kit. The rest, light weight plastic. Plates, cups and such.

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
I have a GSI cutting board/santoku knife set has everything for cutting/cleaning in it.. I also sotre all my utensils in it deep spoon for dehydrated meal bags, spatula, and my titanium and stainless utensil sets are inside it. I also use the GSI bugaboo kit for my cups, plates, pots, and pans.. and looking for the ideal pan/gridle dont care if it's high carbon steel, or cast iron...

spazegun2213

Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

We take a small 10" cast iron from the kitchen and toss it in the Van when we go out. We did buy some spatula's a cheap set of knives and a few other things that stay in the van full time. But no, there is no reason not to grab things from your kitchen or migrate things from your kitchen to your rig :)

I believe the hipsters call it "upcycling"

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have been using a set of nesting GSI cookware, just like this, for 15 years. Includes two pots, a skillet, 2 lids, 4 plates, 4 cups/bowls and a water pail. I supplement the kit with some retired tableware (forks, spoons, steak knives) and cooking utensils (spatula and spoon) in a small tool roll. It makes for a neat and tidy set up.

Last edited:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
No reason not, as far as I can see, however...

If your houseware is lightweight (Corelle for example) than it's ideal (and Corelle is unbrakable, more or less). However if it's china, then it's heavy and breakable.

We carry:

- One lightweight all-purpose pan (combination frying pan, saucepan, etc.)
- one plastic chopping board
- two lightweight unbreakable large bowls
- two lightweight unbreakable mugs (from which wine can be drunk as well)
- two sets of KFS which fit together to save space and are also lightweight
- two ceramic knives (light and stay sharp)
- one plastic spatula/cooking spoon
- one single-burner Coleman camp stove.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
For us we currently use...

- Plates, bowls, silverware, small cups - Stainless Steel Camping Messware Dish Set
- Pots, pans, lids - Heavy Duty - Stainless Steel Clad Cook Set

Both of the above bought off Amazon but the forum software is breaking Amazon URLs.

We also have some Coleman enamel-coated mugs, multi-purpose camp knife, serving spoon, spatula, and a GSI kettle to boil water. It's all pretty compact.

I would advise against taking any old non-stick cookware because the coating will get scraped off while being jostled around and scraped by various things, bits of the coating can get into your food, etc. I would stick (hah) with stainless or cast iron cookware.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use a very good Nonstick frying pan that goes in upside down over the Melmac Plates, I put a dish cloth between the two. the pot and pans are GSI and are ok. they nest up small, a good Perk for coffee. the flat ware is left over from the last household stuff, thrift store stuff works too. Cutting board is a 30 years old 1X12X20 slab of oak. Cups are lean and marked so we can keep them straight. I have 2 very sharp knives in sleeves.The oil, soy, Worcestershire, dish soap, and Tapatio are around the corners. There are 2 wash tubs also. All of this is packed away awaiting the next trip.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I always carry my emergency kit in my rig. It is tucked away in a small amo can (locker). It has all my cooking gear plus a fuel source and a peak 1 burner. It's amazing it all fits. When I'm going for a Overlanding adventure I add my small Coleman one burner stove. Very basic but does what I need it to do.
I can't believe just how much gear I end up bringing on a OB trip. Were ever I can trim back I do. Each trip I evaluate my gear and try to improve on it.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

There is nothing wrong with that as long as weight is not a concern. I have leaned heavily on backpacking gear to cut down on weight and space. However, I am waiting on the new GSI stove to come out, as it will work nice in my setup. Less consumption is always a benefit to the planet, and if you have stuff that will work, and the above are not of worry, go for what you have.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
The best thing you can do is start with old pots/pans. Everyone has their preferences on weight, material, etc. And from there, you can determine what really suits you. Two pots and a fry pan suit most of my cooking needs. Griddle for larger groups. Some kind of grill is nice too. If you want to cook over a fire, then obviously, the cookware will need to have non-plastic handles.

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
I also carry one of these... i was initialy skeptical of the nonstick witht eh textured bottom, but it cooks really well, great for searing steaks, or making sausage/eggs for breakfast. ultimately i need to find a good pan, or gridle top. the lodge ones seem to rough textured to take a good seasoning for non-stick action....

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The GSI pots have a strainer built into the lid. I love that about them. Remember the reason I love something is the reason you don't. Everything is trading off.

Reactions: Randun

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
The GSI pots have a strainer built into the lid. I love that about them. Remember the reason I love something is the reason you don't. Everything is trading off.
I do wish that my bugaboo set came with more than 1 handle though.... have to order myself another 2 or 3 handles...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Nearly all of my cutlerly and odds and ends like a spatula, cutting board ect are from Dollar General or Family Dollar. I don't carry much in the way of cook ware other than a cast iron griddle I put on my dual burner stove and a USGI mess kit.