Potential Overlander from MN

• HTML tutorial

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hello all. I'm officially saying, hello. I've been lurking for a little while, wondering if this forum is where I should be. I am not much of an “overlander”. I would rate myself as a sub-novice. I have camped, hiked, car camped and kept the fire lit in the backyard until the morning birds told us to go to bed.

I stumbled into the concept of overlanding in my preparation for going to Baja this November. (RTTs sucked me down this worm-hole. I'm kinda a sucker for cool gear.) I will be supporting my friend's attempt to complete The 1000 (Fire Guys Racing).

My platform is a 2007 F150 XLT SuperCab (Link to Build thread) with about 67,000 on the clock. I talked myself out of buying a new truck a few years ago because my truck is paid for and apparently, my life is not fulfilled without projects that involve fabricating, welding, machining, tinkering, and thinking obsessively about how to do it myself and make it better, cooler, lighter and faster. Besides, I can do a lot of mods for the price of a $650 / month payment.

I hale from the North Center part of Fly-over country, sandwiched in-between the Sconnies and the Dakotas.

So, while I may be the nicest misanthrope you ever meet, the following principles give you a good insight to me:

You can something from everyone.
If it is worth doing, it is worth over doing.
Leave it better than you found it.
Good enough never is.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Welcome to the group! This forum and community is about getting out and exploring, no matter what you drive or where you go! You don't need a fully loaded rig to be an "overlander" on this community! Enjoy your trip!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
You sound like a true Minnesotan. While I reside in Idaho now, I'll always be an Iron Ranger. Welcome!

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello all. I'm officially saying, hello. I've been lurking for a little while, wondering if this forum is where I should be. I am not much of an “overlander”. I would rate myself as a sub-novice. I have camped, hiked, car camped and kept the fire lit in the backyard until the morning birds told us to go to bed.

I stumbled into the concept of overlanding in my preparation for going to Baja this November. (RTTs sucked me down this worm-hole. I'm kinda a sucker for cool gear.) I will be supporting my friend's attempt to complete The 1000 (Fire Guys Racing).

My platform is a 2007 F150 XLT SuperCab (Link to Build thread) with about 67,000 on the clock. I talked myself out of buying a new truck a few years ago because my truck is paid for and apparently, my life is not fulfilled without projects that involve fabricating, welding, machining, tinkering, and thinking obsessively about how to do it myself and make it better, cooler, lighter and faster. Besides, I can do a lot of mods for the price of a $650 / month payment.

I hale from the North Center part of Fly-over country, sandwiched in-between the Sconnies and the Dakotas.

So, while I may be the nicest misanthrope you ever meet, the following principles give you a good insight to me:

You can something from everyone.
If it is worth doing, it is worth over doing.
Leave it better than you found it.
Good enough never is.
Hello and welcome to OB! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

You sound like a true Minnesotan. While I reside in Idaho now, I'll always be an Iron Ranger. Welcome!
Thanks for all the welcoming responses!
britz, my gal will be happy with that comment as I am not native (over a dozen year, though).
We'll be out in CDL at the end of the month to visit family that just moved up there. I'm looking forward to my first actual visit and look around to the state of ID.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hey Jake, Did you give up on jade and the nation wide road trip? I don't blame you if you did,that's a lot of traveling and camping if you did.

Sent from my VK815 using OB Talk mobile app
Hi, Jeep4venturing! No, I am currently in WI assisting with some business and family issues that have taken longer than anticipated. I will be returning to Jade in a couple of wks and resume the 50 state road trip! Thank you for your support!

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

Hi, Jeep4venturing! No, I am currently in WI assisting with some business and family issues that have taken longer than anticipated. I will be returning to Jade in a couple of wks and resume the 50 state road trip! Thank you for your support!
You did mention that your dad was not in the best of health so take as long as you need and spend as much time with him as possible. The road trip can wait.
Here is my rig

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

You did mention that your dad was not in the best of health so take as long as you need and spend as much time with him as possible. The road trip can wait.
Here is my rig

Nice looking Cherokee! Yes, there are struggles with Dad that we are dealing with and taking care of. I really appreciate your understanding and support. I will definitely be back in Jade Sept 1st if not sooner, resuming the road trip! I am so itching to get back on the road!

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

When you come thru Missouri I hope you can come by cape Girardeau, camping like you do may be hard in this part of the country but I know some places around here and over in Illinois you should like.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

When you come thru Missouri I hope you can come by cape Girardeau, camping like you do may be hard in this part of the country but I know some places around here and over in Illinois you should like.

I'll sure try and do that man - thanks!

If you haven’t already, please complete my 50 State Road Trip Questionnaire so I will have your contact info when I’m in your area. I use the completed questionnaires to meet up with the people you see with me in my videos!

Here is the link to the questionnaire which I hope you will complete - https://goo.gl/forms/ZopZP74rkYqGTBhh1

Thanks again!