Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Hello everyone!

I have not had the glorious opportunity to run the Rubicon Trail yet. I was thinking of running the trail the first week of august. This is all subject to change, and as I stated I have not run the trail before. So it would be nice to have someone along who has experience or a group that is willing to go slower and take their time.

My vague idea of a Rubicon trip would be to stretch the trip out to about 5 - 6 days or so. It would go something like this, have one day of wheeling. Then make camp, spend the next day relaxing and exploring that campsite.

In my mind, this would be fun because there would be a day of rest between each day of hardcore off-roading.

I will appreciate any and all feedback that would be given.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Hello everyone!

I have not had the glorious opportunity to run the Rubicon Trail yet. I was thinking of running the trail the first week of august. This is all subject to change, and as I stated I have not run the trail before. So it would be nice to have someone along who has experience or a group that is willing to go slower and take their time.

My vague idea of a Rubicon trip would be to stretch the trip out to about 5 - 6 days or so. It would go something like this, have one day of wheeling. Then make camp, spend the next day relaxing and exploring that campsite.

In my mind, this would be fun because there would be a day of rest between each day of hardcore off-roading.

I will appreciate any and all feedback that would be given.
Would love to go, but I will need a great deal more undercarriage protection before I would hit that trail. Someday!!!! Can't wait for the pics

Reactions: Zargon

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I have several friends who ran the Rubicon last year. To get a good idea of what you will be encountering, take a look at this thread on ClubFrontier - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/nisscon-16-nissans-rubicon-trail-256177/

I have not been on this trail but have had extensive conversations with a participant of the above trip and would like to offer the following advice:

1. An experienced guide who knows the trail, do not go alone or with another 1st timer. Bring an EXCELLENT spotter.
2. 35" tires at a minimum. 2 full size spares with tire repair kits (plugs and patches).
3. Be prepared for body damage. Many sections have tight squeezes between rocks and trees.
4. Spare axles, U joints, wheel bearings and more along with an extensive tool kit and knowledge is a must.
5. Full armor. Steel skid plates and rock sliders along with steel bumpers and a winch.
6. Carry an extensive first aid kit. Include splints, snake bite kit, wraps etc.
7. Be ready for hour after hour after hour of slow speed rock crawling.

Don't forget the camera's for video and stills so we can all experience the trip!

Good Luck!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
spend the next day relaxing and exploring that campsite = a day to fix stuff that broke.
day of rest = a day to fix stuff that broke.

There, fixed it for ya!

I'd love to go but my rig has long since evolved into a rig that I wouldn't want to take on the Rubicon.
Would love to go right-seat with somebody though! I'll bring a camera.

Dan

Reactions: BCBrian and Cavo

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I have several friends who ran the Rubicon last year. To get a good idea of what you will be encountering, take a look at this thread on ClubFrontier - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/nisscon-16-nissans-rubicon-trail-256177/

I have not been on this trail but have had extensive conversations with a participant of the above trip and would like to offer the following advice:

1. An experienced guide who knows the trail, do not go alone or with another 1st timer. Bring an EXCELLENT spotter.
2. 35" tires at a minimum. 2 full size spares with tire repair kits (plugs and patches).
3. Be prepared for body damage. Many sections have tight squeezes between rocks and trees.
4. Spare axles, U joints, wheel bearings and more along with an extensive tool kit and knowledge is a must.
5. Full armor. Steel skid plates and rock sliders along with steel bumpers and a winch.
6. Carry an extensive first aid kit. Include splints, snake bite kit, wraps etc.
7. Be ready for hour after hour after hour of slow speed rock crawling.

Don't forget the camera's for video and stills so we can all experience the trip!

Good Luck!
Thank you for the info! Most of that list is on my rig anyway with the rock crawling we do in my area.
Most importantly though, the camera is a must! haha

Reactions: BCBrian

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

spend the next day relaxing and exploring that campsite = a day to fix stuff that broke.
day of rest = a day to fix stuff that broke.

There, fixed it for ya!

I'd love to go but my rig has long since evolved into a rig that I wouldn't want to take on the Rubicon.
Would love to go right-seat with somebody though! I'll bring a camera.

Dan
Rofl! Thank you for fixing it, if I have anyone with an extra seat ill keep you in mind.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I would say that keeping your right foot in check will help a lot to keep things from breaking.
I'm not saying you only break because of the skinny pedal... But, controlling the skinny pedal and limiting tire slip will help prevent a lot of it.
Also, if you are not making it up or over an obstacle... three tries and done. Either take the bypass or winch it. Breaking things on the trail sucks. However, repairing things on the trail sucks more! Or, getting towed off the trail... yeah well that will just plain ruin your day.

Reactions: BCBrian

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
A few points come to mind. The trail is hard, but not as hard as it used to be. Specially in august after both Jamborees the trail will be stacked for you. So here is my 2c:

- great pick on the trail, it's beautiful and lots of fun to be there enjoying the scenery and wheeling

- 5-6 days is a looong time. You mind find yourself not going very far between camp spots and those may not have a lot to do for a full day. I recommend 3-4 days tops. Wheel from Loon lake to Spider lake (half day wheel) or all the way to Buck (full day). Take lunch and a swim at spider lake enjoy the water it's amazing in august weather. Buck lake, there you can have an extra day for lake and hiking activities. 3rd day wheel to rubicon springs (half day at most) spend the night, enjoy the springs. Day 4 wheel out.
Sounds short but you will be rubiconed-out... at least for a few days until you want to go back [emoji23].

After a few trips we started going up there Friday night, roll into spider lake at 2am. Saturday hang out and a bit of wheeling. Sunday make breakfast and come back out loon lake and head home, I was at my door 7-8pm

- 35" min? I disagree. A jeep can run that trail on 31-32s good spotter and staking rocks, seen this many times over. Mini truck to SUV style 33" will do, pick good line and a little shacking from friends will usually get you free.
Seen plenty of pre 97 toyota trucks STOCK on 31" head into spider lake for a day trip... lol they are experience wheelers and easy on the gas, not saying do that but it can be done.

- I say is more like One locker minimum if you don't have a short wheel base vehicle.

(Side note, my brother in law ran the Jeepers jamboree last summer with his 46 willys along with 2-3 other pre 55 Jeeps. They are so light he only high sided 2 times people just came up and rocked it free.)

- 2 full spares is a big excessive! Keep it light, bring what you need, leave the kitchen sink and blender at home.
One spare and tire repair tools will do just fine. Know how to use it.

- keep the trail clean, pack out ALL your waste, that includes the use of wag bags.

- if any in the group has HAM know the repeater up there, it's can be found on Pirate4x4 where there is a dedicated rubicon section. There you can also find who will be wheeling around that time and trail conditions.

- mostly have fun and it's all on the prep work. Check the entire vehicle twice over and all suspension bolts and fluid. Same goes for the rest of the group that joins you.

- I sold my vehicle I used to do trips there many times, currently have to add skids and locker to my current vehicle and I'll be up there too. Not sure about august due to schedule conflict but hope to wheel with you guys up there sometime. Depending on weather we gone in September and as late as early October but you can get rained on.

cam_toyota_tech

Reactions: Embark With Mark

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Agree that 5-6 days is a looong time for the Rubicon. I've gone as a passenger twice. My truck wasn't built enough back then, and now I need it to drive 45 miles a day for work. It's my only vehicle.

The "easy" version of the trail is right after the Jamborees. But usually a few weeks after, the Toyota Marlin Crawlers go through and get rid of all the stacked rocks. This is when the trail is the hardest. Then people start stacking rocks again and it evens out.

Make sure everything in, on and around your rig is in tip top shape. The Rubicon is relentless. The rocks just do not end. Even after you climb out of Cadillac Hill and make it to the overlook, there are still some tough sections to get through. You can only breathe easy after you hit the staging/parking lot area.

It'll be busy in August. Be prepared for lots of trail traffic. People will want to drive around you. You will want to drive around other people. There will be people drinking at 9am on the trail. It sucks, but it's just something you have to (unfortunately) deal with. Try to keep a cool head if things go south. You can check the Rubicon Trail Foundation's calendar to see if there's a quieter time. Know that every group doesn't add their trip to this calendar.

Expect trail damage and take an experienced spotter whom you trust. Keep the group small or break up a large one into different groups. No more than 4-5 trucks per group I'd say. Sandwich the weakest/least equipped/smallest tire vehicle between two, more capable rigs.

Keep the weight down as much as possible. Camping gear should be minimalist. No fancy kitchen setups, or 5 person tents for a single person. Use that saved room and weight for spares. Don't forget about the fluids too. Oil filter and enough oil for a complete replacement.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Thank you both for the advice. I am certainly open to changing things up a bit. If the group makes it out faster, than we can certainly end the trip quicker, I was just giving a little extra buffer time. I also disagree with the 35s statement. While I have not ran the trail, I have run plenty of trails that are difficult. Ive never been limited by tire size.

That being said, I am open to advise anyone has to offer.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech