Portable Refrigerators for full time use?

• HTML tutorial

BikeManDan

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Beckler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DGB
I'm considering buying a portable refrigerator for part-time overland use, but when it's not being use for that, I'd keep it plugged into AC power in my family room to use for beverages. I know many full-time overlanders keep their portable refrigerators powered on all the time, but I'm wondering if they are intended to be used in the way I'm thinking. They are expensive, I don't want to either find out it either won't work the way I want, or my use would shorten the life expectancy of the unit. Are some brands better than other for my intended use?

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
I'm considering buying a portable refrigerator for part-time overland use, but when it's not being use for that, I'd keep it plugged into AC power in my family room to use for beverages. I know many full-time overlanders keep their portable refrigerators powered on all the time, but I'm wondering if they are intended to be used in the way I'm thinking. They are expensive, I don't want to either find out it either won't work the way I want, or my use would shorten the life expectancy of the unit. Are some brands better than other for my intended use?
Many of us use our fridges for that same purpose as you are. Stick with the name brands. This is not something you want to go cheap on. It will cost you more money in the long run. ARB, Dometic, Whynter. Using it the way you described would not shorten the life. The only thing I can think of that would shorten the life is excessive dust near the compressor. Mine is powered 24/7 in my truck.

Reactions: BikeManDan

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Most overlanders that I have seen use the Dometic, ARB, Whynter, Costco, and a few Amazon brands. Dometic, as an example, makes a lot of different size and all kinds of accessories for mounting, power, etc. The size will depend on your needs, i.e. how much food you plan on bring for 'x' amount for people for 'x' amount of days, power requirements, etc. When not in my truck, I use it on family weekend trips when we stay at resorts/hotels. I'm happy with my Dometic fridge.

What other people had to say - The Official Dometic CFX Fridge Feed!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I use an Engel fridge box since quite some time. While on the road (and sometimes even in between the trips) it is on all the time. No probs so far!

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
I really need (want) a fridge. I don't plan on using AirBNB's or hotels for the foreseeable future so a fridge is necessary since my dog eats raw food. Dometic seem to be on backorder so it looks like ARB will be the winner.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've had my ARB 50 with Transit Cover for almost three years. I have used it as long as a year non-stop round-the-clock with no ill effects. Usually powered via 12v batts charged by solar panels, though plugged into 110 occasionally when it was available.

Just don't case it in, whether in your vehicle or at home. Let it vent and get air appropriately, and you won't have any problems running it continuously.