Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg ive been thinking of putting a dual battery system in my truck linked to my trailer , dont know why but allways worry about running my batterys down at a overlanding show seen these and orderd one any one else carry one

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I've got all the bits I need to make my own and they've been sat in the garage for about a year. It's on the "winter to do" list. They do certainly seem like they'll be incredibly useful.

Reactions: somerset-andy

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg
I've got all the bits I need to make my own and they've been sat in the garage for about a year. It's on the "winter to do" list. They do certainly seem like they'll be incredibly useful.
Dont forget to take some pics as you build it wish i had the skills to do it but greenbox
Seem to be competitive on price and really help full Does some handy lights allso

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

View attachment 37653
Dont forget to take some pics as you build it wish i had the skills to do it but greenbox
Seem to be competitive on price and really help full Does some handy lights allso
I have the same problem, no electrical skills. They seem to be about half the price of a Goal Zero, I guess you could build your own for half the cost of a Greenbox, but then I'd run the risk of setting fire to something.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I have the same problem, no electrical skills. They seem to be about half the price of a Goal Zero, I guess you could build your own for half the cost of a Greenbox, but then I'd run the risk of setting fire to something.
. Ha ha yep thats my fear

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I have a Yeti400 that works well for my ARB fridge. With solar and goos sunlight, I can be stationary indefinitely. The Goal Zero has a pure sine inverter, battery protection and solar charge controller built in. It is more expensive, but plug n play...

Reactions: Rebel_Girl and Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have used Goal Zero Yeti 1200s in the disaster space for years and love them, personally I have a Yeti 400 and a couple of their hand held back ups.

Can you make your own way cheaper? Yes. Will it be as reliable and work as good.....questionable. Not doubting anyone’s skill at all and I like to build my own stuff to learn but usually it ends up not working as well or costing more than just buying one due to the prototyping process.

Don’t take this as poo-pooing this stuff. Just my experience.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm going with a Goal Zero system. I have come to the same conclusion as @Cort better to pay for great design, then R&D your own stuff. With this said: I respect others with the skills, time, and interest to DIY. I already have a duel battery system in my Jeep. I will build the Goal Zero system into my expadition trailer. I will go with their new Lithium range.

Reactions: Cort

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Don't get me wrong the Goal Zero looks great kit and I am sure it does the business. It's just the cost that is outside my budget, well more precisely, budget approval by my finance director is unlikely.

Reactions: Cort

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Don't get me wrong the Goal Zero looks great kit and I am sure it does the business. It's just the cost that is outside my budget, well more precisely, budget approval by my finance director is unlikely.
Drop andy at greenbox a call. Or email him i stopped i few people at peterboro and asked thier opinion on the power packs all i got was positive comments Ive looked at the goal zero but just like the look of the greenbox plus the cost BnT

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
The lithium are slick, but my only reservation is that you can't recharge on 12v. It would need to go through an inverter in the truck to the power pack. Buddy just bought a Yetii 1000 lithium and it is very nice. Powering it with GZ foldable 100w panel. I have a Powerfilm 60w and now Flexopower 79w for my Yeti 400s.

Attachments

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

The lithium are slick, but my only reservation is that you can't recharge on 12v. It would need to go through an inverter in the truck to the power pack. Buddy just bought a Yetii 1000 lithium and it is very nice. Powering it with GZ foldable 100w panel. I have a Powerfilm 60w and now Flexopower 79w for my Yeti 400s.
How do you like the flexopower 79w? I’ve been considering one of those pretty hard. From what I gather, it should run my fridge and when the fridge is between cycles or off it should charge the battery? The truck charges everything while we’re moving so I just need to keep things going when parked for multiple days in warmer weather. It looks simple and compact but I haven’t heard any firsthand experience yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I just use my Anker powercore for my USB charge cables. everything else either runs off of a flame-fuel or replaceable battery. Have not seen a need for anything more aside from a jumper box.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

We use an ArcPac 730 for the trailer when the Jeep isn’t at camp. We up graded the solar panels from 2 40 watt panels to one 250 watt panel tied into our Coleman charge controller. Works pretty good at charging now. No complaints about the ArcPac. We used it for 4 solid weeks last summer, plus several weekend adventures and no issues except one. If you don’t turn off the inverter when not in use, it trickle drains your battery. This happened once after our trip out west this summer. We are actually going to build a house battery system in the Taco this winter with a BMS etc. I got the idea from one of Ronnie Dahl videos. I will start a thread separately for that build.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

OCD7785

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Goose Creek, SC
Member #

We’ve got the Sherpa 100 for electronics and lights. Then I’ve built a deep cycle battery box with solar inverter to run the fridge.
63F1B128-246D-4286-9FD4-98981A1356DF.jpeg 08008800-D6B0-4BC2-A192-C795C0D95FDB.jpeg 377471F5-3B76-4373-8F85-495B6D54B51A.jpeg

Has a group 31 battery and a minn Kota beep cycle portable battery charger/tender.