Portable/Luggable Go-Kits

• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I don't know how many of you have built something like an ARES/RACES Go Kit. I just started to assemble mine. It's currently going to be 2M only. However I imagine I'll eventually either add a second radio (Likely an FT-7800r) or replace the FT-2800r with an FT-7800r dual band.

If you've built a kit, I'd love to see it. The start of mine will be in the next post.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Here is how much assembly I've completed on my 2M Luggable.

I still need to add:
  • A common ground strap.
  • A Power distribution block
  • A Power Gate (DC/DC ups)
  • Port for External Battery Hookup (disables internal power)
  • Connection for the Power Supply on the top deck
  • A Fan on the top deck.
  • Mounting bracket for the radio
This is with the top deck removed. 12Amp Hour AGM & 25a Switching Power Supply

This is the top deck. Yaesu FT-2800r, and Power outlets (Cigarette Lighter, 2a and 1a USB)

Counterpoise

Rank 0

Contributor I

A decent length of rg-58 or 8x, some paracord, and a roll up ladderline jpole. Use a full bottle of water to sling the cord over a tall object, then hoist the jpole up. Maximum range, minimum size and weight. Fits neatly in a zippered pouch.

E

expeditionnorth

great idea and I applaud you for helping out
I personally never seen the need for such
thought the resources could be better suited to equip my rig with other gear
so in essence my rig is my go to, all the public service events I help out on here in VT I use my rig
I prefer LMR 240 as a minimum for coax, the other stuff just has too much loss

E

expeditionnorth

LMR 240 Flex would be ideal. I find regular LMR 240 way to rigid for field use.
I've been having really great results with the ABR LMR 240 flex equivalent I think they call it 213
LMR240 will handle 100 watts Rf with no issues
it easily handles my 600 watts from the base

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Not sure if you have seen this book - or if you're looking for a book or just some forum advice.....

I will be going for my HAM license soon and in anticipation noticed this book and got it. I think it is well written and has some good ideas for the "HAM go bag" I want to put together. I already have a "power bag" put together with some smaller Goal Zero solar panels and Jackery external batteries with a variety of power cords for iPhone/Camera etc.

Reactions: expeditionnorth