Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Back when I first met my wife, an I asked her if she liked camping... She told me only if she could have a hot shower. She was puzzled when I said if that is your only requirement, that is easy to solve.

So over the years we tried a few variations, The Zodi, was a breakthrough. and when we saw it in use, we quickly bought one. Of course it has it flaws. but it still lives with the camping gear, and used a few times in the house when the power went out for extend time.

later on, a group of friends picked up the Ecotemp L5. now this was a step better, electric start, so you don't burn the heat exchanger out like the Zodi will with out water flow. and with a on/off shower head, and a 12v demand pump. about as close to turn key as you can get once it is setup

So the on demand water system 2.0 was born. A trip to tractor supply resulted in a 12v demand pump and some misc parts coming home with me.

The data plate is starting to wear a bit, but you can still read it 60psi @2.1GPM FIMCO model 5275087

20190722_174313.jpg

Now this kinda rode around as a bare pump for years hooked up as needed, kinda a pain actually. I needed a a better solution. a member on another site mention using the new Apache case from Harbor freight for his portable system that he builds, Since I already had the pump... I "borrowed" his idea. I went and picked up the case and checked it with my pump.

20190722_174410.jpg

The new Pelican knockoff sold by Harbor Freight did indeed fit.

20190722_174249.jpg

I did a dual washer under the home brew Bulk head fittings, a large fender washer inside, and standard washer outside of the case. and again "Borrowed" the idea of the QD fittings

20190723_102857.jpg

Stainless hardware was used as well, with Nylocks since getting everything really tight is hard with out compressing the rubber isolator mount on the pump. something you want to avoid so you do not loose the vibration isolation.

20190723_211355.jpg

Because of how I placed the pump, I ended up grinding down one of the ribs on the bottom so the fender washers would lay flush.

20190723_102811.jpg

The cap on this SAE power inlet is a tight fit, pliers help to get it pulled free. but it appears to be durable rubber, and the leads are 12 gauge.

20190723_211113.jpg

20190723_211152.jpg

The shower head is from the Ecotemp L5 heater, and I had set it up so I could use the sprayer with the just the pump or the pump and heater. The water in the water in Scepter MWC, was plenty warm ( in the middle of August in Oklahoma) and 5 gallons was just about right for 2 people for a quick shower. Inside the box is a 30ah AGM battery, bit crude still since I did not get around to building a proper portable battery system yet.

20190812_201202.jpg

*** Update ***​
Last time I used the water pump, I noticed it was leaking. The leak was not terrible, and it was contained in the Apache case, which lead to the discovery the case still holds water. The rubber feet from the pump sealed the small holes up nicely.

After tearing down and inspecting everything, the rubber parts for tears or nicks, and the plastic for cracks or other defects. I cleaned everything up an reassembled it. When I went to test the pump again, the leak was not as bad, but still there. So once more I tore the pump down, dried all the parts off. I then applied a thin bead of clear silicone to the mating surfaces of part #10 and #5 in the below diagram. along with a thin bead around the edge of the diaphragm.

I let everything dry for a couple of hours, and retested. This time the leak was gone.

pump  exploded.jpg

How long this fix will last, I have no idea. it was to the point where I was going to have to either buy parts to fix it, or replace the pump. This pump had lived most of its life in my Jeep, and has probably been frozen at least once. So I did not want to risk buying a new diaphragm or check valve only to find the housing had a fine crack that I missed.

Attachments

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Ok so the pump after many years has become a bit worn out. Time for a replacement.

20210316_112046.jpg

Only demand pump they had the time was rated for much higher pressure than I would ever need for a portable water system.

20210316_104852.jpg

This pump was threaded for to take male pipe threads, much easier to keep leak free than the old Quick disconnect fitting on the previous pump

20210316_112350.jpg

The new brass 90 degree pipe fitting helped clean everything up and the new pump fit in the original footprint of the previous pump.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
On the last camping trip, I got tired of fighting the pickup on the water system, The old short term solution of just sticking a hose in the water can (something that went on for far longer than I will admit to) along with the problems that came from the hose curling up and sucking air after a few minutes... It was time for a permanent solution.

20210402_152114.jpg

I picked up a replacement cap for the water cans to modify

This way I could retain the original caps for all my water cans.

I would also need,
Everbilt 5/8 in. Barb x 3/4 in. MHT Brass Adapter Fitting-800039 - The Home Depot
Everbilt 3/4 in. FHT x 1/2 in. FIP Brass Adapter Fitting-801669 - The Home Depot
Everbilt 1/2 in. x 2 in. MIP Brass Nipple Fitting-803139 - The Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ss-Reducing-Coupling-Fitting-802169/300096759

I would then add a 1/2 male threaded to 3/4 PVC adaptor and a section of 3/4 PVC for the new suction tube.

20210505_103223.jpg

The PVC pipe was cut to length, and the end cut off at an angle to prevent blocking the bottom of the pvc pipe and preventing water flow.

20210505_112429.jpg

I also drilled some cross holes to help ensure at least some waterflow in case the bottom ever becomes blocked.

20210505_112707.jpg

The retaining strap and locking nub was cut off and filed smooth, since this will be used on multiple water cans, this will make it bit easier to use.

20210505_112750.jpg

Reactions: Road

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I put a marine hand pump on a MWC lid, I use a bit of food grade plastic tubing with a piece of stainless tubing on the bottom to weight it down.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Interestingly enough, I replaced the sprayer pump on my ATV tank yesterday. The original pump on that sprayer was the same pump you initially used in the build which was worn out. The replacement pump I installed on the ATV sprayer was the same replacement pump you used :laughing:

I like the way you set up the pump case, I will have to borrow that idea. Extending the PVC pipe into the water can (less the holes in the side) is also a great idea.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
It appears that I have finally gotten the shower system dialed in, and that is a very good thing since the water heater in the house went out.

So the camping shower has become a very useful backup for the house as well.

The extreme hot water temp has been solved, there was a small tech note on the ecotemp website on adjusting the water flow at the valve body itself using a semi-hidden screw. after a bit of fiddling I found a setting that works and gives a bit of adjustability at the dial controls.

Also discovered the system works best if all the water is drained from the unit, at least with our water, being so hard. the small passages seem to get blocked by a quick formation of a rusty colored looking water. and that blocks the initial flow causing the shower to ignite and start heating.

vonniesaur

Rank I

Contributor III

Vancouver
First Name
Yvonne
Last Name
Yuan
Man, I wish I was as handy as you! So there's no propane needed for the Eccotemp L5? It's all electric? I'm considering getting a Joola since I don't think I'd be able to do a DIY like this.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Man, I wish I was as handy as you! So there's no propane needed for the Eccotemp L5? It's all electric? I'm considering getting a Joola since I don't think I'd be able to do a DIY like this.
It is propane powered with an electric ignitor that runs off 2 D batteroes.

I use a "steak saver" adaptor. To let me hook a 1lb propane tank up innplace of a a 20lb tank to keep it a conpact setup

Reactions: vonniesaur