Baughb

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Salcedo
So I’m a new member. My dilemma is that there are a number of Australian manufacturers that make the product I want…almost. Either way, the shipping alone dictates that I DIY it.

12volt portable power center (60AH up to 125AH)

I want to charge from 3 different sources, not at the same time, through a proper charge controller while still operating the load (refrigerator, USB chargers, voltage display, cigarette lighter port but, mostly, just the fridge).

1. Vehicle Alternator (via 50a Anderson plug)
2. Solar panel (after the panel’s own controller or straight in. Renogy 100 watt suitcase)
3. 110v AC USA

Is there a single controller that can handle 3 input sources? And still put out proper voltage to the load?

Shore Power: Can I take the outputs of the 110v to 12v charger and just plug it into the DC to DC port that the vehicle’s “Alternator input” would occupy? That way I can use any number of charge controllers that provide only 2 input sources.

And put the whole set up in a box, considering Frontrunners battery box.

And yes, I have looked at dozens of boxes (Arkpak, Yeti, Engel, Greenbox, Dirty Parts, etc. etc.) and none can accept all 3 input sources and charging the battery from a 12v cigarette connector is not and should not be an option because it is incredibly inefficient.

Thanks for your time and responses.

Bob

Reactions: Boort

DignTRDoffRoad

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Alabama
Member #

This is a very interesting question, I would check with someone in support who manufactures Dc to Dc chargers like Ctek and ask if this would work, seems like it should but they'd be more informed of what their product is capable of doing, nice idea tho, just to be on the safe side.

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jamestown, Fentress County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I have attached a schematic of a 12v solar charger power supply that I am currently building with an ammo can. I have mounted the solar charge controller to the side of the can and have direct wired it to a set of banana jacks. This will allow me to charge with either a solar panel, 12v wall plug and with what you are talking about. Just connect the plug to the alternator and re-wire the the end that you will plug into the charge controller with the banana jack plugs and you will be charging. Once I have this completed I will upload pictures. Just disregard where it shows the power inverter. I will not be direct connecting that to the battery as I have wired a constant power to a banana jack from the battery that I can plug the Inverter into. Hope this helps, let me know how it works out for you.

Attachments

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
So I’m a new member. My dilemma is that there are a number of Australian manufacturers that make the product I want…almost. Either way, the shipping alone dictates that I DIY it.

12volt portable power center (60AH up to 125AH)

I want to charge from 3 different sources, not at the same time, through a proper charge controller while still operating the load (refrigerator, USB chargers, voltage display, cigarette lighter port but, mostly, just the fridge).

1. Vehicle Alternator (via 50a Anderson plug)
2. Solar panel (after the panel’s own controller or straight in. Renogy 100 watt suitcase)
3. 110v AC USA

Is there a single controller that can handle 3 input sources? And still put out proper voltage to the load?

Shore Power: Can I take the outputs of the 110v to 12v charger and just plug it into the DC to DC port that the vehicle’s “Alternator input” would occupy? That way I can use any number of charge controllers that provide only 2 input sources.

And put the whole set up in a box, considering Frontrunners battery box.

And yes, I have looked at dozens of boxes (Arkpak, Yeti, Engel, Greenbox, Dirty Parts, etc. etc.) and none can accept all 3 input sources and charging the battery from a 12v cigarette connector is not and should not be an option because it is incredibly inefficient.

Thanks for your time and responses.

Bob
IMG_0030.JPGIMG_0029.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0032.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPG

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I only have one banana jack wired for switched power right now. Once I have the solar panel I will connect the charge controller to one of the other banana jacks and I will also be changing batteries because the terminals are not user friendly to add more batteries to increase the amp hours. This is just a battery I had sitting around just to get it up and running. Once I have that completed I will finalize the connections and clean up the wiring. I’m just not going to mess with it until then. I will upload more pics once finalized, it may be a few so bear with me.

Reactions: DignTRDoffRoad

DignTRDoffRoad

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Alabama
Member #

I like doing this kinda stuff, 30 yrs in the electrical industry I guess. I really don't see where it would hurt to plug an Ac/Dc charger in place of the alternator input, it's load side would be DC just like the alternator, just my unauthorized opinion, today's alternators out put is 13 - 14vdc and 90 plus amps and a small AC/DC charger range is no where near that, you have to get a large model to get in the 90 amp out put and I'm sure you were looking at a small unit just to charge and possible maintain. I'd like to know myself. BTW, Nice looking job Tallen79

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I like doing this kinda stuff, 30 yrs in the electrical industry I guess. I really don't see where it would hurt to plug an Ac/Dc charger in place of the alternator input, it's load side would be DC just like the alternator, just my unauthorized opinion, today's alternators out put is 13 - 14vdc and 90 plus amps and a small AC/DC charger range is no where near that, you have to get a large model to get in the 90 amp out put and I'm sure you were looking at a small unit just to charge and possible maintain. I'd like to know myself. BTW, Nice looking job Tallen79
Thank you

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Just got the solar panel today. Here are the pics with it fully hooked up and functioning. I have not gotten the new battery yet, still looking at different options. So I will not fully clean up the wiring until I have that in place. The multiple pictures of the charge controller show just the battery being charged with the load output turned off and then on. They also show the progression of the charge. When I first connected the solar panel the charge was at 12.4V and it did not take long for it to reach 13V. The solar panel is the 25 watt panel from harbor freight with a very long cord and it also came with multiple ways to hook it up. It actually came with a cord to plug into the main cord that allowed me to put the banana plugs on without having to cut and modify anything. Just be sure to save the box for the panel when its not in use for protection while being stored as well as being transported. The voltmeter in the top center was showing 13.1V but it just wouldn't show up very well on camera in the lighting. There is a couple pictures I forgot to take of the box for the panel and the connection inside for the input after being connected. Now I am just writing words to make the pictures go all the way to the bottom lol.12V solar 1.jpg 12V solar 2.jpg 12v solar 3.jpg 12V solar 4.jpg 12V solar 5.jpg 12V solar 6.jpg 12V solar 7.jpg

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I do plan on getting an AC/DC charger and installing the banana plugs on the end to plug it into the wall outlet. Keeping my eye out for one at the moment. You mention the Amp output of the alternator, just keep in mind that this solar charge controller is only rated for 30 Amps so you would have to get one that is rated for the 90+ amps.