Portable battery options to run accessories and fridge.

• HTML tutorial

Ruben Ferran

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
RUBEN
Last Name
FERRAN
Member #

Hey all, new to Overlanding but love the outdoors, I’m looking into options to run a second battery or portable battery station to keep the fridge running, and run any necessary accessories. Would like the option to charge the battery station via, plug, car port, and solar. I don’t mind a DIY project but would need a step by step. If anyone would be kind enough to share there hard work, and ideas I would greatly appreciate it. IMG_7259.JPG

blendorbot

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Woodstock, GA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Pitts
Member #

Hey all, new to Overlanding but love the outdoors, I’m looking into options to run a second battery or portable battery station to keep the fridge running, and run any necessary accessories. Would like the option to charge the battery station via, plug, car port, and solar. I don’t mind a DIY project but would need a step by step. If anyone would be kind enough to share there hard work, and ideas I would greatly appreciate it. View attachment 74070
I went with the National Luna Portable Power Pack and ran the charging cable to the battery. I am not handy enough to put a system like that together myself and I know there are other options. I also rewired an inverter to use the 50amp anderson plug output instead of 12V. The whole system has worked great with a Dometic cfx40 fridge for several trips now. I am using an Optima Blue top AGM battery. Lighter than other deep cycles but only 75AH. Enough for a few days if I am not driving. I am considering adding solar at some point but not needed yet.

Tmarinich

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cary NC
Let me dig up my list. This was a prototype so I would get better batteries. I chose two so if one failed I had a spare. They’re in parallel so voltage is 12v but the amps are doubled. 10AH each for 20AH total. There better battery options but the dimensions are what is important.

Reactions: Ruben Ferran