Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

I see it's been almost a year but I was wondering if anyone might have a link to a site that might have some modifications one can make to a pop up camper to make it more overland friendly. Like the mentioned Hitch, a better hitch that can handle more than flat roads would be great. Maybe a suspension lift and larger wheels for the trailer. Any mods like those.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I see it's been almost a year but I was wondering if anyone might have a link to a site that might have some modifications one can make to a pop up camper to make it more overland friendly. Like the mentioned Hitch, a better hitch that can handle more than flat roads would be great. Maybe a suspension lift and larger wheels for the trailer. Any mods like those.
We've also done the spring over conversion on our aframe popup.

Fitted larger lt truck tires.

Writing this reply from it.

Boort

Reactions: Boucher and Qaz

montera5

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Jersey
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Montera
There is almost no discussion on pop up trailers anywhere in the forums. I am looking for a trailer that 4 people and two dogs can sleep in. Roof top tents do not meet our criteria and am strongly leaning towards a pop up camper. Especially a compact one with bigger tires. There is very little information I have found online so far.

Does any one have one, can you share your experiences. Pros/cons.
Me I’m looking for a used pop-up they are plentiful and cheap I plan on changing the axle and lifting it and adding off-road rims and tires to maybe compliment my rig so they are the same so you carry 2 spares that are interchangeable you can get custom axles to accommodate the spring perch issue so it orients correctly converting the spring under to spring over then add blocks from there or convert to an independent rear axle I thought about that but I wanted to keep it easy and cheap . I hope this helps good luck.
Paul

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Me I’m looking for a used pop-up they are plentiful and cheap I plan on changing the axle and lifting it and adding off-road rims and tires to maybe compliment my rig so they are the same so you carry 2 spares that are interchangeable you can get custom axles to accommodate the spring perch issue so it orients correctly converting the spring under to spring over then add blocks from there or convert to an independent rear axle I thought about that but I wanted to keep it easy and cheap . I hope this helps good luck.
Paul
Why not just get the Timbren axle less setup , I will be putting them on my small pop up in a few weeks

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Why not just get the Timbren axle less setup , I will be putting them on my small pop up in a few weeks
I’ve been thinking about doing the same on my teardrop. It’ll let me get away from the utility trailer bearings and be able to add brakes. Not to mention making it more robust.

Reactions: M Rose

montera5

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Jersey
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Montera
I thought about that but wanted to keep costs down I know that they are not that much more but I don't own a welder even though it's a better setup.
Paul

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I plan on changing the axle and lifting it and adding off-road rims and tires to maybe compliment my rig so they are the same so you carry 2 spares that are interchangeable
This, same tire all around is practical. I just ordered an axle so I can use the same rims and carry one spare. I've gone the opposite direction of most. I went real skinny tires on my TJR and will match my trailer rather than just bumping the trailer tires to the extreme. A massive tire on a tiny trailer is counter productive. Same tires on the trailer this year.

ps, my old 33/10.50s got 17mpg..... these 7.50R16s get 22mpg. One change added 95miles to my range between gas stations.
DSCN1490.jpeg

If you drive 12K miles a year, thats a saving of 320 gallons. Plus it rides, drives so much better, smoother. And it cut my tire costs in half.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This, same tire all around is practical. I just ordered an axle so I can use the same rims and carry one spare. I've gone the opposite direction of most. I went real skinny tires on my TJR and will match my trailer rather than just bumping the trailer tires to the extreme. A massive tire on a tiny trailer is counter productive. Same tires on the trailer this year.

ps, my old 33/10.50s got 17mpg..... these 7.50R16s get 22mpg. One change added 95miles to my range between gas stations.
View attachment 140110

If you drive 12K miles a year, thats a saving of 320 gallons. Plus it rides, drives so much better, smoother. And it cut my tire costs in half.
Can you post more pictures of your trailer, I’m picking up a pop up trailer in a couple of weeks and looking for inspiration

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I can’t believe no one mentioned the Opus trailers. These things are great. They are a little big, a little costly, but they are very capable and very roomy! I can sleep 6 in my OP4, and add another 4-6 sleepers if you include the annex.

if you want to see it in action go to YouTube and search the “4WD Action” channel. they take it out in some crazy back county roads.

F0315BF2-9D52-4BE1-8DB8-457D11B10F4F.jpegD3E115D5-03A7-48EC-AA55-1435B659C4B2.jpeg7F27675F-F870-42A4-B99D-8244C195BAF0.jpeg

Attachments

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
I can’t believe no one mentioned the Opus trailers. These things are great. They are a little big, a little costly, but they are very capable and very roomy! I can sleep 6 in my OP4, and add another 4-6 sleepers if you include the annex.

if you want to see it in action go to YouTube and search the “4WD Action” channel. they take it out in some crazy back county roads.

View attachment 142360View attachment 142361View attachment 142362
How many times have you taken it out so far? Pros / Cons?

Reactions: Boort

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Back in the 1960s, 1970s camping was way bigger than today and the tent trailer was the gateway drug. You could rent them for pennys. Nothing was easier, sleep 4 plus 2 dogs, slide out kitchens, 10 minutes to set up, pack up. The manufacturers built the rental industry. We used them in 1968, 1969, 1970. Fabulous memories lining up to check into campsites at 10am, no reservations, first come, first serve.
Any Albertans remember Otto Mobiles ?

The downfall of every tent trailer is rotting seams. I think every one of those rentals ended up as the frame for a trailer to take leaves to the dump in the fall. But they offered luxury space as tents.

Last edited:

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
How many times have you taken it out so far? Pros / Cons?
I only purchased it in the fall of 2019 so I am still learning the finer ins and outs. I have taken it out 3 times, the first time being in a regular campground then more remote each time. But checking out "4WD ACTION" youtube videos will show some of the craziness that it can offer.

Pros:
-So much space for a family!
-Creature comforts like heat and A/C when plugged in to a Shoreline or propane heat depending on which system you outfit it with
-Storage rack for gear like kayaks, bikes, recovery boards etc...
-good build quality
-Can be setup by one person
-has a four burner propane stove, comes with a domestic fridge/freezer, 42 gallons of on board water, has an optional hot water heater/shower
-with the optional annex this thing turns into an awesome remote base camp for backwoods operations. With the annex it would sleep 8 comfortably and you could probably push it to 12 with some adjustments.
-can be pulled by any midsized vehicle or larger (pulls fine by 2017 tacoma and hear Jeeps have no problem
-Has enough on board power for 3-4 days. and can be charged with optional solar kits for ongoing off-grid operations

CONS:
-Costly (~$30k new)
-heavier than some of the other smaller RTT trailers
-As with any off road trailer: if you are going down a single track trail and need to turn around it can be difficult.
-With the full annex on it takes some getting used to for packing up but is manageable.

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
I only purchased it in the fall of 2019 so I am still learning the finer ins and outs. I have taken it out 3 times, the first time being in a regular campground then more remote each time. But checking out "4WD ACTION" youtube videos will show some of the craziness that it can offer.

Pros:
-So much space for a family!
-Creature comforts like heat and A/C when plugged in to a Shoreline or propane heat depending on which system you outfit it with
-Storage rack for gear like kayaks, bikes, recovery boards etc...
-good build quality
-Can be setup by one person
-has a four burner propane stove, comes with a domestic fridge/freezer, 42 gallons of on board water, has an optional hot water heater/shower
-with the optional annex this thing turns into an awesome remote base camp for backwoods operations. With the annex it would sleep 8 comfortably and you could probably push it to 12 with some adjustments.
-can be pulled by any midsized vehicle or larger (pulls fine by 2017 tacoma and hear Jeeps have no problem
-Has enough on board power for 3-4 days. and can be charged with optional solar kits for ongoing off-grid operations

CONS:
-Costly (~$30k new)
-heavier than some of the other smaller RTT trailers
-As with any off road trailer: if you are going down a single track trail and need to turn around it can be difficult.
-With the full annex on it takes some getting used to for packing up but is manageable.
Thanks for that reply, I'll for sure check out 4WD Action and all that other info you provided is great, thanks!

Reactions: Redbear

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Wow, this is actually pretty cool! I'm a fan of 4WD Action as well but I wasn't aware we could buy the opus here in the USA. Looks great!

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think they came to the US IN 2018. Their US operations are in California but they have dealerships across the country. I got mine in PA.

their is a fairly active group on Facebook in case you are interested in learning more about them.

Reactions: rehudnall

TX_Big_Rig

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Texas, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
M.
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5IWN
First, don't listen to those who say they will shake apart. That is coming from people who don't own one.

The Opus is great and the top of the line for offroad capability and luxury. But, can you afford it? $30k is the intro level. If you don't mind the price tag, get one!

I for one am having the time of my life in my family hand-me-down 1986 Coleman Plantation Tara. My father bought it when it was a year or 2 old and it's seen probably over a million miles, about 20% offroad. Beaches, desert, forests, etc. Not one piece has come apart due to offroading. Only kids abusing things. It still has the original Dexter Torflex 2500lb axle with I believe a 10 degree up angle. That put it super low to the ground and scraped driveways and ditches everywhere it went. When I got it from my father, I immediately welded on a 5" block kit. It no longer scrapes driveways, but I have to admit the axle has seen its days. Hopefully this week I'll be finalizing my decision on either the $800 Timbren axle-less or the $1750 Cruisemaster XT trailing arm design.

My family of 5 would never sleep on a RTT and Texas summers are brutal. I bring along a Predator 3500 to run the rooftop AC.

To put the whole "it'll shake itself apart" nonsense, I'll go in a little depth with a history lesson. The old Coleman campers from the 80's and 90's were the cream of the crop! They were very well built with box framing, metal stud interior, and heavier paneling. They truly don't make them like they use to. New campers are built cheaper, lighter, and fall apart before they hit the showroom. The exceptions are the Opus and purpose built trailers with the heavy price tag. In my opinion, save yourself some money and buy a well taken care of used pop-up for around $5k and modify it to suite your needs as I have. They really have not changed much at all. I've only added USB receptacles and a Renogy solar system to keep up with the kids' tablet and phone needs at night. After the suspension upgrade, not sure what else you can do? Like I said, not much has changed in 30+ years.

BTW, first post. Glad to be here.

Attachments