Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

We have a pop up that's a bit different. It's a Coachmen Clipper 9.0TD and although not off road capable off the lot there are things you can do to them to make them more durable. They offer an off road version called the V-PKG but for the most part is the same trailer with a few more amenities and larger tires and wheels with the same 2,000 lb. axle and brakes.

We bought this to get our kayaks, bikes, camp gear, etc. to campgrounds that we use as a base from which to go exploring. It's seen some rough roads but I'm careful of its limits. We bought it with modifications in mind and figured if we liked the format, and we do, I would build a more off road capable duplicate. So far I've stiffened the chassis and added 235/75/15 AT tires with Jeep wheels and flat fenders. I built a kayak rack that does not touch the lid and have added on demand hot water, a tongue power box, improved the electrics, altered and added to the propane system, scrapped the AC & fridge (but kept the furnace) added solar, etc. There's not much you can do to the body apart from building a new stronger one from scratch. So far it's held up … but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:

Hi Ho Silver

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Jamey
Last Name
Amrine
Member #

We just bought a 2019 Viking 2107LS. It was new stock on the dealer lot, but being last year's model, we got it for a deal. Paid $5k. It is the bare bones version with no AC or hot water, but for our needs, it will be perfect. I bought this just as the lockdowns were beginning (first picture is on the north shore of Lake Michigan, bringing it home from just south of Green Bay back to Ann Arbor). During the stay at home order, I got a spring-over-axle kit and a shock absorber kit and got those installed (see second pic). At 1700lbs empty, I don't see myself putting enough in here to hit 2500lbs, let alone the 3000lb GVW. It tows easy behind my Jeep, and I took it on some pock-marked dirt roads outside of town to see how it did, and it was easy to forget it was even back there. Looking forward to testing it out on some back roads up north this summer. I think it will do fine. I'll just make sure I have a box of drywall screws, some liquid nails, and my drill.

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
We just bought a 2019 Viking 2107LS. It was new stock on the dealer lot, but being last year's model, we got it for a deal. Paid $5k. It is the bare bones version with no AC or hot water, but for our needs, it will be perfect. I bought this just as the lockdowns were beginning (first picture is on the north shore of Lake Michigan, bringing it home from just south of Green Bay back to Ann Arbor). During the stay at home order, I got a spring-over-axle kit and a shock absorber kit and got those installed (see second pic). At 1700lbs empty, I don't see myself putting enough in here to hit 2500lbs, let alone the 3000lb GVW. It tows easy behind my Jeep, and I took it on some pock-marked dirt roads outside of town to see how it did, and it was easy to forget it was even back there. Looking forward to testing it out on some back roads up north this summer. I think it will do fine. I'll just make sure I have a box of drywall screws, some liquid nails, and my drill.

View attachment 153969

View attachment 153968
Looks Great ... I like the black rims better doesn't show the offroad dirt as much. Make sure you look under it often under after taking it off-road to see where the cheap hardware holding it together starts loosening up then re-enforce it in those areas

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Nice! I'm interested in one of these too. I think it's great for the price!

If you get a chance I would like to see some pics of when it's deployed and your thoughts about it.

Reactions: Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Jamey
Last Name
Amrine
Member #

Looks Great ... I like the black rims better doesn't show the offroad dirt as much. Make sure you look under it often under after taking it off-road to see where the cheap hardware holding it together starts loosening up then re-enforce it in those areas
Yeah, I liked the black wheels better, but couldn't find replacement wheels and tires locally with black wheels. Might paint them eventually. Or get two black ones online and use these as my spares (seems like if I go back-country at all, 2 spares would be better than one).

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
i

View attachment 153969

View attachment 153968

I think you'll enjoy the crap of it. We had one for years and hauled it all over.

Reactions: Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Jamey
Last Name
Amrine
Member #

Nice! I'm interested in one of these too. I think it's great for the price!

If you get a chance I would like to see some pics of when it's deployed and your thoughts about it.
We are self-isolating in our rental house in Fla right now, but when I get home, I intend to open it up and spend some time getting it a ready for a maiden camping trip. I'll snap some photos. One thing I love about these pop-ups is how open they get when you open all the curtains and panels. You get such a great panoramic look. Hoping to really use this for dispersed camping and not have to spend time in campgrounds. I need to do a bit to get it ready for being off-grid (extra propane and battery, solar, etc), but compared to tent camping, it should be easy going.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah, I liked the black wheels better, but couldn't find replacement wheels and tires locally with black wheels. Might paint them eventually. Or get two black ones online and use these as my spares (seems like if I go back-country at all, 2 spares would be better than one).
A rattle can will take care of that in a couple of coats. I did it for my teardrop because black looks so much better.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

We have 2 little kids and like the teardrops cause you can get inside as soon as you're parked. We have rented, and toured many. But the one we have chosen is the IntechRv Explorer. We plan to get the 2 tipout. It's not small, but it can double as a toyhauler, easily sleep 4 and the dogs, and also has a kitchen.2tipout.jpg

Reactions: TexasGMG

Dylan.h brown

Rank 0

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Brown
First, don't listen to those who say they will shake apart. That is coming from people who don't own one.

The Opus is great and the top of the line for offroad capability and luxury. But, can you afford it? $30k is the intro level. If you don't mind the price tag, get one!

I for one am having the time of my life in my family hand-me-down 1986 Coleman Plantation Tara. My father bought it when it was a year or 2 old and it's seen probably over a million miles, about 20% offroad. Beaches, desert, forests, etc. Not one piece has come apart due to offroading. Only kids abusing things. It still has the original Dexter Torflex 2500lb axle with I believe a 10 degree up angle. That put it super low to the ground and scraped driveways and ditches everywhere it went. When I got it from my father, I immediately welded on a 5" block kit. It no longer scrapes driveways, but I have to admit the axle has seen its days. Hopefully this week I'll be finalizing my decision on either the $800 Timbren axle-less or the $1750 Cruisemaster XT trailing arm design.

My family of 5 would never sleep on a RTT and Texas summers are brutal. I bring along a Predator 3500 to run the rooftop AC.

To put the whole "it'll shake itself apart" nonsense, I'll go in a little depth with a history lesson. The old Coleman campers from the 80's and 90's were the cream of the crop! They were very well built with box framing, metal stud interior, and heavier paneling. They truly don't make them like they use to. New campers are built cheaper, lighter, and fall apart before they hit the showroom. The exceptions are the Opus and purpose built trailers with the heavy price tag. In my opinion, save yourself some money and buy a well taken care of used pop-up for around $5k and modify it to suite your needs as I have. They really have not changed much at all. I've only added USB receptacles and a Renogy solar system to keep up with the kids' tablet and phone needs at night. After the suspension upgrade, not sure what else you can do? Like I said, not much has changed in 30+ years.

BTW, first post. Glad to be here.
Hey there!! I have two little ones on the way, which means we won't be camping in the same way we used to. I have been romping in the woods my whole life: starting with tent camping in Moab out of dad's Izuzu trooper, then bed cap camping, then my dad got a 4WC on his Tacoma. I did the wildernest for a few years until the wind destoryed it. I have towed a Taxa Outdoors Cricket (love this!), tried their Mantis for a media campaign. I had a hardshell RTT and finally a FWC Project-M. Yes, I've seen and done it all.

My two favorites:
- Wedge RTT for road trips, where quick setups are key
- Taxa Cricket — inside kitch, easy setup, small enough to get away

I'm back to my empty truck bed, having sold the FWC and pinching penny's for the two little one's to come. BUT, that doesn't stop me from dreaming. I saw a Coleman Pop-up on Facebook marketplace the other day and thought, hey, that's a TON of room for a GOOD price. So I started fantasizing about buying one for sub $5k, lifting it and having a sweet two-bed, fully-enclosed setup.

My question to you:
- Where can you buy the Cruisemaster XT trailing arm kit? I did a quick google search and don't see it as an option in the states.
- Have you camped in the Popup during a crazy wind-storm? Here in Southern Utah, we get BLASTED sometimes. And I've been shy of any sort of large pop-ups.
- What are the temps like in the winter months? Would be cool to hit the shoulders seasons w/ the family if this camper works out.

Thanks in advance!

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
There is almost no discussion on pop up trailers anywhere in the forums. I am looking for a trailer that 4 people and two dogs can sleep in. Roof top tents do not meet our criteria and am strongly leaning towards a pop up camper. Especially a compact one with bigger tires. There is very little information I have found online so far.

Does any one have one, can you share your experiences. Pros/cons.
Look for an OPUS a great solution

Reactions: Mschnitger