Pop Up? True Offroad with Tent? Hard top? Share your advise/Experience

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I am not familiar with off-road or "Overlanding" trailers as I have always lived either in the vehicle or a tent. But the thought and consideration grow on me every day. The problem is around where I live it is very rough and I'm not sure how long one would last even if I did (which I would) take pristine care of it. I have looked around quite a bit on the web and it looks like some are much better built than others.

We do not need much room and really don't want to spend more than around $12k. I don't want one very large because of the small places I would have to fit it in.

I like the looks of this new pop-up that has come out...Flagstaff 176 SE Sportsman Edition
flagstaff-176se-rw8044-ext-004-BR.jpg flagstaff-176se-rw8044-ext-005-VL.jpg flagstaff-176se-rw8044-ext-006-VL.jpg
and for the price under $9k with all of the room and options it is very appealing. But I'm not really sure about quality or how long it would last.

On the other hand I am a School Resource Officer and I have at my disposal a Welding Class at the HS that can build pretty much anything I want. I really like the looks, dependability and sturdiness of something like this...
2e87e2af3d90499650711c5799e81efe--expedition-trailer-overland-trailer.jpg which they probably could build for quite a bit less and I could attach my foxwing and oztent to it with no trouble.

But then again I live in Conway, AR where the VrV trailers are manufactured. For around $10k I could get one of their models but would need to make some upgrades and additions to it...and space would be limited.
https://teardropsbyvrv.com/adventure-teardrops/

I am not a fabricator. I can do a few things but I am very limited. I will either buy something that is already made or have it made. I might have to sell a Harley to do so but now that might be an option.

I just want your opinion and maybe some life experiences from those who have trailers and use them. I always investigate and do research before sinking money into any project. I do live on a city salary. lol

Thank you in advance.

BROfessor Out

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

For less than that VrV, you could get a mid-range or Off Road Extreme Hiker from Denver or Indianapolis. They have better axles and suspension than the simple sprung 2000 pound axles offered on the VrV. That's what's on my basic 5X8 Hiker, which I was told is okay for graded forest service roads, but not much rougher.

https://www.hikertrailers.com/hikers/

(Not affiliated; just a very happy customer.)

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

For less than that VrV, you could get a mid-range or Off Road Extreme Hiker from Denver or Indianapolis. They have better axles and suspension than the simple sprung 2000 pound axles offered on the VrV. That's what's on my basic 5X8 Hiker, which I was told is okay for graded forest service roads, but not much rougher.

https://www.hikertrailers.com/hikers/

(Not affiliated; just a very happy customer.)
Thanks Steve. I appreciate the info. Im not in any hurry. Just want to make sure what I get is perfect for what I do.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I am not familiar with off-road or "Overlanding" trailers as I have always lived either in the vehicle or a tent. But the thought and consideration grow on me every day. The problem is around where I live it is very rough and I'm not sure how long one would last even if I did (which I would) take pristine care of it. I have looked around quite a bit on the web and it looks like some are much better built than others.

We do not need much room and really don't want to spend more than around $12k. I don't want one very large because of the small places I would have to fit it in.
I just want your opinion and maybe some life experiences from those who have trailers and use them. I always investigate and do research before sinking money into any project. I do live on a city salary. lol
Type of trailer will depend on whether or not you want to sleep IN the trailer, as opposed to on top of it in a rooftop tent, or in a nice ground tent the trailer carries. Also worth considering is if you want/need the trailer to serve more purpose than just for camping.

Personally, I'd cross the pop-up off your list, as it doesn't appear it's really meant for off-road. It also has major parts that have to open and close repeatedly and are soft-sided, which to me means more maintenance, potential damage and potential failure. If you're planning on primarily paved campground camping, a pop up like that could be perfect, but it sounds like you want to get back in there where the roads are rougher.

As for a trailer not lasting because roads are rough around where you live, there are plenty of commercial trailer options meant to go off-road that will last quite well, especially now that off-road camping has become so popular. Just don't go for the camping trailers with low clearance axles and tiny wheels unless, again, state park style camping is what you really want to do.

If you're not a fabricator, is it safe to assume you're not experienced with design, either? Having the school welding class could be a great solution if you have experience designing things and solving problems on the fly as your design is built. You'll have to elucidate exactly what you hope to have as end result, provide most or all of the design on paper or digitally, and be able to step in as it's being built to correct things if they have a problem or if it's not coming along the way you want.

You may want to check out @ArkansasDon's profile and his posts on the trailer he made. He's down your neck of the woods and might be a valuable resource.

I looked at all the same type of trailer options you have, including building my own camping trailer from an old military jeep trailer (I have two if you're interested!).

In the end I chose to get a trailer I could use as base for the type of tents and awning I wanted, but more importantly that I can use for more than just camping. I love to build things and often haul around sheet goods and other building materials, and I move around a lot so need to be able to haul large objects, so wanted a trailer that would serve those functions as well.

I went with a trailer from Schutt Industries; the XVenture XV-2. I was very fortunate to find one at a great clearance price from a dealer who now sells the Patriot Campers from Australia, which I just can't afford. Like Steve above, no affiliation with the company that makes my trailer, I just love their products. They are rugged, dependable, and of military heritage. I have every confidence my trailer will long outlast me and probably my kid and her kid as well.

They currently have two trailers under 10K, though you can easily get up to around your 12K budget with available options.

Here's the link to XVenture by Schutt Industries. I've included a photo or two of mine below.

Also worth checking out is Steve's thread that includes Adventure Portal's Off Road Trailer Buying Guide. The guide is from 2015-2016, but has a bunch of trailer listings that may lead you to something that suits your purpose perfectly. There are other trailers mentioned in that thread, as well.

Best advice though, is to take your time checking out which trailers you like and what features appeal to you most. Rent one if you can. Try it out for a few nights. See how it fits. Go to local meetups with other OB or off-road guys and see some trailers in person.

For me, the whole idea is to have a trailer that makes set up and tear down easy, not a chore, and makes camping a pleasure in just about any kind of weather. I'm sure you'll find just the trailer for the way you want to do things, too.

roaddude-cadescove_3506-700.jpg

xv2-gear-aerial_2223-700.jpg

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Type of trailer will depend on whether or not you want to sleep IN the trailer, as opposed to on top of it in a rooftop tent, or in a nice ground tent the trailer carries. Also worth considering is if you want/need the trailer to serve more purpose than just for camping.

Personally, I'd cross the pop-up off your list, as it doesn't appear it's really meant for off-road. It also has major parts that have to open and close repeatedly and are soft-sided, which to me means more maintenance, potential damage and potential failure. If you're planning on primarily paved campground camping, a pop up like that could be perfect, but it sounds like you want to get back in there where the roads are rougher.

As for a trailer not lasting because roads are rough around where you live, there are plenty of commercial trailer options meant to go off-road that will last quite well, especially now that off-road camping has become so popular. Just don't go for the camping trailers with low clearance axles and tiny wheels unless, again, state park style camping is what you really want to do.

If you're not a fabricator, is it safe to assume you're not experienced with design, either? Having the school welding class could be a great solution if you have experience designing things and solving problems on the fly as your design is built. You'll have to elucidate exactly what you hope to have as end result, provide most or all of the design on paper or digitally, and be able to step in as it's being built to correct things if they have a problem or if it's not coming along the way you want.

You may want to check out @ArkansasDon's profile and his posts on the trailer he made. He's down your neck of the woods and might be a valuable resource.

I looked at all the same type of trailer options you have, including building my own camping trailer from an old military jeep trailer (I have two if you're interested!).

In the end I chose to get a trailer I could use as base for the type of tents and awning I wanted, but more importantly that I can use for more than just camping. I love to build things and often haul around sheet goods and other building materials, and I move around a lot so need to be able to haul large objects, so wanted a trailer that would serve those functions as well.

I went with a trailer from Schutt Industries; the XVenture XV-2. I was very fortunate to find one at a great clearance price from a dealer who now sells the Patriot Campers from Australia, which I just can't afford. Like Steve above, no affiliation with the company that makes my trailer, I just love their products. They are rugged, dependable, and of military heritage. I have every confidence my trailer will long outlast me and probably my kid and her kid as well.

They currently have two trailers under 10K, though you can easily get up to around your 12K budget with available options.

Here's the link to XVenture by Schutt Industries. I've included a photo or two of mine below.

Also worth checking out is Steve's thread that includes Adventure Portal's Off Road Trailer Buying Guide. The guide is from 2015-2016, but has a bunch of trailer listings that may lead you to something that suits your purpose perfectly. There are other trailers mentioned in that thread, as well.

Best advice though, is to take your time checking out which trailers you like and what features appeal to you most. Rent one if you can. Try it out for a few nights. See how it fits. Go to local meetups with other OB or off-road guys and see some trailers in person.

For me, the whole idea is to have a trailer that makes set up and tear down easy, not a chore, and makes camping a pleasure in just about any kind of weather. I'm sure you'll find just the trailer for the way you want to do things, too.

View attachment 48759

View attachment 48758
Love it! Thank you. Thats really a nice setup. And yes all of the things you have stated were in the back of my mind. Just needed some assurance. The wife and I have been going back and forth about sleeping on a rooftop. I like the idea but she wonders about having to take 3-5 trips down the ladder at night to go pee. Not a fan of that. lol. But the view and just getting off the ground would be awesome for sure. Love those trailers. The Harley might have to go.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

thanks Road,
I'm just up the road from ya about 1 3\4 hours off of 167 north. You can come up to my farm & check out what I have & see if that is the route you want to go. I built mine with a year of planning prior before I started on it. The trailer from coupler to back is 11ft 10". The bed is 6 ft L x 41"W (48" w @ the top) x 22"H with a little over 24" of ground clearance from bottom of frame rails to the ground. The weight is a little over 640lbs empty. The bottom of my roof top tent is 5ft 6" off from the ground. I am 58 yrs old , my wife is in her 60's & we have zero issues with us going in or out of the tent. PM me & I'll give you my address & cell number.
005.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Love it! Thank you. Thats really a nice setup. And yes all of the things you have stated were in the back of my mind. Just needed some assurance. The wife and I have been going back and forth about sleeping on a rooftop. I like the idea but she wonders about having to take 3-5 trips down the ladder at night to go pee. Not a fan of that. lol. But the view and just getting off the ground would be awesome for sure. Love those trailers. The Harley might have to go.
What are we supposed to call you, BRO, theBRO, or Brofessor?

Heh. . .anyway, if not yet sold on the idea of a rooftop tent, you might also be interested in the OZTent lineup. . . you can get a decent trailer to haul gear, provide a cook area and awning, and a ground tent to hook to your awning.

Though I have the rooftop tent, I have to be honest and say I don't use it much myself. I have it more for when I host small group workshops, family, or have a friend stop for a night or two and need extra accommodations. What I don't like about it is just as you say, climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night. Also that there just isn't as much room in there for boots, clothing, other gear, and you have to haul it all up and down the ladder as well and often what you want is somewhere else. Though, once your bedding and a couple days change of clothes is up there, it's there. You can also close it up with all the bedding in place, and even store a bit of other stuff up there when rolling, which is nice.

But the OZTents: They make a wicked nice ground tent, very easy and quick to set up (there are some set-up vids on the site) and they have several versions available. I have an RV-5 hooked up to my awning in the pic in my previous post and in the pics below. They're really quite spacious, are extremely rugged, built for the Australian outback, and very thoughtfully designed and engineered. Heavy duty velcro flaps over all zipper joints, for example. I absolutely love mine and just got the front panel for the open part of the 'patio' area, and a connector that will allow me to hook the tent directly to the awning backboard or other channeled backboard if I like.

Great customer service, too, and though they may not always be able to get back to you as soon as you might like, as they work from three continents and are often away at shows and expos, etc, I just can't say enough about how much I appreciate their ability to deal with concerns, their quick shipping, and just the overall quality of their product line.

Third pic below is another of just my XV-2, showing the awesome cargo capacity with the rolling titanium hard cover, which is another thing I just love about my trailer. The XV-3 is a bit shorter in length.

If seriously thinking about the XVenture trailers, or any other that offers it, an option well worth considering is a water heater and plumbing of some sort. Your wife will love you for it and you'll really appreciate having hot water in camp. Some people go for the rooftop solar heated tank, others for solar bags you hang up somewhere, other for a tank and a pump. After doing a bunch of other water systems for years, I opted to have an on-board 22gal freshwater tank (just over the axle, armored and baffled) and an on-demand propane water heater.

The bottom pic below shows the optional galley table and sink setup with commercial grade pull out faucet and hot and cold water. You also get a mixed hot/cold connection at the front corner on the other side for a shower hookup, which is really handy for all sorts of camp chores as well as showering. The water heater in mine is just inside the back end of the trailer on the right side. You can just see it in the cargo pic, behind the yellow clamps in its own black shield so it doesn't get damaged.

Lastly, you might really want to think about, too, how often you will want to haul a trailer or not and how much you want to depend on it to haul everything. I love hauling mine everywhere, but have a diesel van to haul it around. I also have the capability to leave it behind and still have everything I need in the van for an extended excursion.

The ideal thing, no matter what vehicle you have, is to be able to go for a weekend or longer without the trailer if you want and still be comfortable and have your stove, fridge, sleeping arrangement, clothes, tools, camp gear, etc. You don't always want to limit it to camping with trailer only because that's where all you stuff is. Flexible arrangements, not narrowed possibilities.

roaddude_cadescove_campside_3706.jpg

roaddude_cadescove_frmabove_3209.jpg

xv2-cargo_IMG_1817.JPG

roaddude_xv2-galley_bigbend-0802.jpg

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
this https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/off-road-trailer-manufacturers-listing.1525/ is a good place to start. I looked at the sites on this thread when I was looking into the potential of an overland trailer. I decided to go with a home-built teardrop model. Please understand that my skills appear similar to the description of what you are able to do. So, I did a lot of looking around and ended up getting a half-finished project from Justin at Anchor Mountain Overland. He's got some great models that feature a RTT and I can attest to his craftsmanship. He's been a great guide to help me as I work (slowly) on the project. I was also considering the Hiker (mentioned above) as I have a buddy that has one and is very satisfied. You do need to make the decision of RTT, teardrop-style, or just a cargo trailer to carry your gear. Good luck in your quest. I'll post up my project when I get it done (including progress pix).

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

What are we supposed to call you, BRO, theBRO, or Brofessor?

Heh. . .anyway, if not yet sold on the idea of a rooftop tent, you might also be interested in the OZTent lineup. . . you can get a decent trailer to haul gear, provide a cook area and awning, and a ground tent to hook to your awning.

Though I have the rooftop tent, I have to be honest and say I don't use it much myself. I have it more for when I host small group workshops, family, or have a friend stop for a night or two and need extra accommodations. What I don't like about it is just as you say, climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night. Also that there just isn't as much room in there for boots, clothing, other gear, and you have to haul it all up and down the ladder as well and often what you want is somewhere else. Though, once your bedding and a couple days change of clothes is up there, it's there. You can also close it up with all the bedding in place, and even store a bit of other stuff up there when rolling, which is nice.

But the OZTents: They make a wicked nice ground tent, very easy and quick to set up (there are some set-up vids on the site) and they have several versions available. I have an RV-5 hooked up to my awning in the pic in my previous post and in the pics below. They're really quite spacious, are extremely rugged, built for the Australian outback, and very thoughtfully designed and engineered. Heavy duty velcro flaps over all zipper joints, for example. I absolutely love mine and just got the front panel for the open part of the 'patio' area, and a connector that will allow me to hook the tent directly to the awning backboard or other channeled backboard if I like.

Great customer service, too, and though they may not always be able to get back to you as soon as you might like, as they work from three continents and are often away at shows and expos, etc, I just can't say enough about how much I appreciate their ability to deal with concerns, their quick shipping, and just the overall quality of their product line.

Third pic below is another of just my XV-2, showing the awesome cargo capacity with the rolling titanium hard cover, which is another thing I just love about my trailer. The XV-3 is a bit shorter in length.

If seriously thinking about the XVenture trailers, or any other that offers it, an option well worth considering is a water heater and plumbing of some sort. Your wife will love you for it and you'll really appreciate having hot water in camp. Some people go for the rooftop solar heated tank, others for solar bags you hang up somewhere, other for a tank and a pump. After doing a bunch of other water systems for years, I opted to have an on-board 22gal freshwater tank (just over the axle, armored and baffled) and an on-demand propane water heater.

The bottom pic below shows the optional galley table and sink setup with commercial grade pull out faucet and hot and cold water. You also get a mixed hot/cold connection at the front corner on the other side for a shower hookup, which is really handy for all sorts of camp chores as well as showering. The water heater in mine is just inside the back end of the trailer on the right side. You can just see it in the cargo pic, behind the yellow clamps in its own black shield so it doesn't get damaged.

Lastly, you might really want to think about, too, how often you will want to haul a trailer or not and how much you want to depend on it to haul everything. I love hauling mine everywhere, but have a diesel van to haul it around. I also have the capability to leave it behind and still have everything I need in the van for an extended excursion.

The ideal thing, no matter what vehicle you have, is to be able to go for a weekend or longer without the trailer if you want and still be comfortable and have your stove, fridge, sleeping arrangement, clothes, tools, camp gear, etc. You don't always want to limit it to camping with trailer only because that's where all you stuff is. Flexible arrangements, not narrowed possibilities.

View attachment 48762

View attachment 48763

View attachment 48770

View attachment 48771
You can call me anything. Just don't call me late for dinner. lol. We are definite on the Oztent. Gonna pull the plug today or tomorrow and get it all ordered. Thank you so much for the photos. Going to show my wife what our setup is gonna look like. I have been looking everywhere for some Foxwing and RV-5 setups but couldn't find them anywhere. I look forward one day to being able to attach it to my trailer instead of my vehicle. But until then, I appreciate all of your valued input.

the BROfessor

Reactions: Road

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

this https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/off-road-trailer-manufacturers-listing.1525/ is a good place to start. I looked at the sites on this thread when I was looking into the potential of an overland trailer. I decided to go with a home-built teardrop model. Please understand that my skills appear similar to the description of what you are able to do. So, I did a lot of looking around and ended up getting a half-finished project from Justin at Anchor Mountain Overland. He's got some great models that feature a RTT and I can attest to his craftsmanship. He's been a great guide to help me as I work (slowly) on the project. I was also considering the Hiker (mentioned above) as I have a buddy that has one and is very satisfied. You do need to make the decision of RTT, teardrop-style, or just a cargo trailer to carry your gear. Good luck in your quest. I'll post up my project when I get it done (including progress pix).
Thank you for sharing that link to the list. Its so nice when someone has done all the research and work for you when it comes to finding all of them to look at. I am in no hurry so I am definitely in the research phase of this project.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

We are definite on the Oztent. Gonna pull the plug today or tomorrow and get it all ordered. Thank you so much for the photos. Going to show my wife what our setup is gonna look like. I have been looking everywhere for some Foxwing and RV-5 setups but couldn't find them anywhere. I look forward one day to being able to attach it to my trailer instead of my vehicle. But until then, I appreciate all of your valued input.

the BROfessor
You might want to wait a bit if you haven't ordered OZ stuff already. I found mine in the Gear for Sale section on expeditionportal and got quite a good deal on the RV-5, front panels, rain fly, ground cloth, two OZ stretcher cots, little sidekick table, two Rhino chairs, just a whole mess of stuff. All in excellent shape and for far less than just a brand-new RV-5 tent alone. Also, check out the differences between the RV-5 and the OZ Tagalong Tents. . . if going for ease and quickness of setup, go for one with the internal support. They make for a large package when rolled up and transporting, but make up for it in the fact that they literally come out of the bag and are setup within a couple minutes. Done-have-a-beer time. Very slick and quick.

So, if you have the time, poke around in sale forums and see if there are any available. I got a LOT of my gear used and relatively inexpensive compared to new, which left me with more pesos to explore.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yeah, that's a good list . . .it's the one I mentioned in my post (#4) above that @Steve posted a couple years ago. Would be wonderful to run across a thorough and updated list, there have been so many changes in the world of off-road trailers since then. Let me know if you ever run across an updated list and I'll do the same.

Minnella

Rank 0

Traveler I

Check out the Jayco Baja pop-up. It comes factory ready for off-road. They were made back around 2005 and you could probably fina one used for much less than $9k.

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
thanks Road,
I'm just up the road from ya about 1 3\4 hours off of 167 north. You can come up to my farm & check out what I have & see if that is the route you want to go. I built mine with a year of planning prior before I started on it. The trailer from coupler to back is 11ft 10". The bed is 6 ft L x 41"W (48" w @ the top) x 22"H with a little over 24" of ground clearance from bottom of frame rails to the ground. The weight is a little over 640lbs empty. The bottom of my roof top tent is 5ft 6" off from the ground. I am 58 yrs old , my wife is in her 60's & we have zero issues with us going in or out of the tent. PM me & I'll give you my address & cell number.
View attachment 48764 View attachment 48766
Do you have a build thread for your trailer? I did not see one under your profile. It looks very much like the style and size that I would like to build.
Thank you!

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
My solution (dipping my foot lightly into the lake). So far it's working, but have several improvements yet to go...longer tongue, diamond plate sides and bottom, spare tire mount...to name a few. So far functions fine on a looow budget. (school teacher)FJ & RTT at Mardi Krawl.jpg
Not to thread hijack, but any of you Arkansas folks going to the Razorback Ramble on June 1st?