Pop-up hardshell RTT recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

US
Hi all,
Hopefully picking the Volvo up from the shop tomorrow, looking forward to getting this build started.
I'm looking to buy a roof tent, and I'm planning on dedicating all the roof space to it. I'd prefer not to have one of the "fold-out" tents as they seem like a pain to set up, not to mention they're super thick and I don't want to make my already-poor gas mileage any worse than I have to.
I'm really liking the look of some of the hardshell popup rtts on the market, and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for those? Ideally I'd like to keep the price of the RTT a good ways under $2k, but if that's not realistic I can see if we can work that into the budget. I really like the look of the baroud evasion, but it's a bit rich for my blood. Anyone know of any similar (and similar size) tents available around my budget?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
That’s a tight budget for a hard shell. I settled on the Baroud extreme and will be picking it up on the 16th. All the ones I looked at were similar in price. But not in quality. But you may have access to stateside manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Try Bigfoot Tents. Saw one for just over 2100.00. I haven't had any experience with them or seen any on the trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I really like my autohome airtop, they’re not cheap though unfortunately...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
I don't know of any under $2K. Bigfoot Tents like Rubicjon said have a floor model on sale for about $22oo.

I had a fold out style RTT and I sold it after a few months. My Outback went from 30 MPG HWY to 20 MPG HWY. It just wasn't worth the cost for a few seconds faster setup vs my ground tent. It looked awesome and drew tons of attention, but it limited where I could afford to drive.

I looked at lots of the hardshell tents on the market. I decided I'm going to wait until I can afford one of the James Baroud tents. If I'm spending that much money, I want it to last me a decade or longer.

I've heard the Autohome models are very good too, but there are a few small design choices that I don't like about them. For example, I don't think the doors have bottom zippers and instead just tuck under the mattress. I also don't like the exposed struts inside VS the James Baroud that have covers so nothing gets caught in a moving part. Just little things I feel are better done.

I've also seen lots of support for the Denver Outfitters tent on Instagram, but I don't have any experience with it. They claim to have redesigned quite a few parts of the tent with longevity in mind. They also have support for cargo on top of the tent that I like. They run about $2600.

Reactions: bionicman

mtnnomad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dullum
Member #

I purchased a Skycamp from iKamper. It is a very roomy tent compared to other RTTs. The mattress is thinner, but that can be compensated. If you have more than two travelers (or pets) the king sized floor is a fantastic new design. The canvas tent with awning and shipping was $2600. I like the Autohome, James Baroud, and Alucab, but for this price, design, and room, I am pleased.

Last edited:

marblewan

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hard shell RTT under $1400 to $2000.

iKamper Sky camp, $2000 - www.ikamper.com

Restabout, $1900. - Saw this small business on Craigslist

Lost Coast roof top tent $1400
try the link below. (Saw this start up on Craigslist)

Happy camping...

Student4Life

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Houston, TX
Member #

My Skycamp is scheduled to arrive in Texas in November. It will be installed on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I will try to remember to take some photos in order to post.

Reactions: Natchez

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We love our iKamper!! Got it thru @Rhino Adventure Gear
Heading out to Utah for a 9 day family expedition in a couple weeks. Can’t wait to be sleeping in this thing nightly. FAE58CC8-B06D-49FC-8D5F-39616D6B88DE.jpeg 486429F6-6B24-4FD9-B76A-7AF3DD6FAA74.jpeg 9E5AB290-7F56-4D9C-AECC-918DE197A2A3.jpeg

Reactions: FJ81

bionicman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Renton Highlands, WA
Member #

I don't know of any under $2K. Bigfoot Tents like Rubicjon said have a floor model on sale for about $22oo.

I had a fold out style RTT and I sold it after a few months. My Outback went from 30 MPG HWY to 20 MPG HWY. It just wasn't worth the cost for a few seconds faster setup vs my ground tent. It looked awesome and drew tons of attention, but it limited where I could afford to drive.

I looked at lots of the hardshell tents on the market. I decided I'm going to wait until I can afford one of the James Baroud tents. If I'm spending that much money, I want it to last me a decade or longer.

I've heard the Autohome models are very good too, but there are a few small design choices that I don't like about them. For example, I don't think the doors have bottom zippers and instead just tuck under the mattress. I also don't like the exposed struts inside VS the James Baroud that have covers so nothing gets caught in a moving part. Just little things I feel are better done.

I've also seen lots of support for the Denver Outfitters tent on Instagram, but I don't have any experience with it. They claim to have redesigned quite a few parts of the tent with longevity in mind. They also have support for cargo on top of the tent that I like. They run about $2600.
Solid advice there - thanks