Pontiac Aztek "The Original Overlander?"

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

When they came out i remember the CBS show Survivor gave one away to the winner, I wanted one bad!! But, then I realized they weren't that well made and decided I wasn't that interested lol. Still a cool car, IMO.

Reactions: 9Mike2

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Parker75

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

You could make the point that GM was ahead of its time with the innovation of the "Pontiac Aztek".

The Aztek had all time all wheel drive, a built in cooler, built in rear on-board air compressor, rear controllable audio controller, rear ac adapter, and one of the first rear hatch tent configurations with awning & insect screen.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I think we should give the Aztec an A for effort. I was intrigued when they first came out, but couldn't get past the look. Went with a Subaru who's AWD was leading the market. It wasn't an overlander, but it got me to a lot of remote camp sites.

I would love to see a car maker take a fresh stab at a "stock" overland vehicle, especially if they could keep it in the $30s. I looked a long time for an off-road capable self-contained camper van. Still looking.

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
I could almost forgive it if it had a Bonneville drivetrain, but not the Dexcool POS they put in it..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I just happened to watch this video last night and then saw this thread this morning, Strange destiny.

• Haha

Parker75

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, NC
Member #

Does anyone think GM will bring back the Aztek in an Overland Edition?

Would the market be receptive?

• Haha

Contributor II

OB has helped me to appreciate other vehicles... conceptually to Aztec, kind of cool. But if we want to talk about concepts, Toyota has one the FT4X. If that is an indication of market trend we should see some really cool cars being produced.