Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

What's everyone's favorite trip (off road not vacation) to take during the winter months in the NW, day trip or overnight?

With winter setting in a lot of the trails and FS roads will be getting closed due to snow so I'm curious if people just plan to hunker down for the winter or still make it out for some adventure. And if you do head out in the winter where do you go in the NW? Last winter I never made it out since my WJ was in pieces from Nov. to March, but this years projects shouldn't involve it being down that long so I'd like to get in a cold weather trip or two. Any ideas or suggestions around the NW it could be a day trip, cold camping or even just a Christmas tree run.

MRisme

Rank I

Contributor III

Portland, OR
First Name
Matt
Last Name
R
I'd like to watch this thread for other ideas!

So far my winter adventures include trips to the coast or high desert, hoping to play in the snow this year a bit too!

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'd like to watch this thread for other ideas!

So far my winter adventures include trips to the coast or high desert, hoping to play in the snow this year a bit too!
The coast is always an option, for me being in eastern Washington if I head west it would need to be at least an overnight trip. That and camping over there in the winter months usually means rain. What are your go to places for high desert trips?

Reactions: MRisme

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Jubilee lake run, Point Prominence Run, Spring Creek, Mt Emily Summit, plus lots lots more (all located in The Oregon Blues...

Reactions: MRisme

MRisme

Rank I

Contributor III

Portland, OR
First Name
Matt
Last Name
R
The coast is always an option, for me being in eastern Washington if I head west it would need to be at least an overnight trip. That and camping over there in the winter months usually means rain. What are your go to places for high desert trips?
Hey sorry for the delay in responding! I've done some overnights along the Deschutes and John Day rivers. One of our all time favorites spots is Crane Hot Springs, its quite lovely, but this last trip we set a new record for low temps... 12 degrees! I have a buddy heater but don't like running it in the car and our dog hates it. I started looking at some diesel heaters on youtube and they seem like a cool, interesting and affordable set up.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We still head up run as many FS roads as we can in the Cascades during the winter, Usually off of Hwys 2, 20 or Mountain Loop. Obviously the weather plays a big role in just how far we make it up particular road, but we just offset that with driving less of more different roads. Usually we self limit how far we push up a road as we are typically traveling by ourselves and do not yet have a winch. Often we could get much further if we had a second rig. Winter travel often has the perks of less people, bugs and other annoyances .lol For day trips we will often stop for a longer lunch and build a fire to sit around, and we do enjoy a winter campout. As we love to take pictures its also nice to have a different backdrop.

Reactions: outside.perception

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Winter exploring is my favorite , even roads you have traveled a hundred times take on new splendor and beauty being covered in a blanket of white and a lot of new viewpoints open up when the leaves fall off . Another plus is usually there are way less people out so you don’t have to travel as far to get away from people like you do in the summer so I’m some ways your travel times to camping can be a lot shorter . Just make sure to let a couple people know where your heading invade you run into trouble and can’t make it back .

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hey sorry for the delay in responding! I've done some overnights along the Deschutes and John Day rivers. One of our all time favorites spots is Crane Hot Springs, its quite lovely, but this last trip we set a new record for low temps... 12 degrees! I have a buddy heater but don't like running it in the car and our dog hates it. I started looking at some diesel heaters on youtube and they seem like a cool, interesting and affordable set up.
I've been looking at some different areas around the John day river for a possible trip this winter. I haven't been over there much so I'll have to do some more looking as to what would be a good spot. I'll also check out the hot springs, thanks for the ideas.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We still head up run as many FS roads as we can in the Cascades during the winter, Usually off of Hwys 2, 20 or Mountain Loop. Obviously the weather plays a big role in just how far we make it up particular road, but we just offset that with driving less of more different roads. Usually we self limit how far we push up a road as we are typically traveling by ourselves and do not yet have a winch. Often we could get much further if we had a second rig. Winter travel often has the perks of less people, bugs and other annoyances .lol For day trips we will often stop for a longer lunch and build a fire to sit around, and we do enjoy a winter campout. As we love to take pictures its also nice to have a different backdrop.
I haven't done any winter camping in years unless you count tailgating with our travel trailer at football games... but I always enjoyed it when I did in the past. Most of he FS road I usual travel in the summer get gated in the winter and are only open to snowmobiles so I think I'll have to expand my travel zone. I've been looking into areas of central and SE Oregon, but if you know of any areas in the west cascades I'd be interested to hear more about them.

Toydept

Rank 0

Contributor I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gearhart
Interested in this as well, camped out at ranger creek airfield near green water last weekend, however found most FS roads gated along 410. Last February went and snow shoe camped Crater Lake(south entrance stays open) and remember driving out on some forest service roads near chemault Oregon.

Definitely looking to find some snowy roads this winter.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I've been looking at some different areas around the John day river for a possible trip this winter. I haven't been over there much so I'll have to do some more looking as to what would be a good spot. I'll also check out the hot springs, thanks for the ideas.
I have been wanting to explore the John Day as well.

Reactions: M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Now that winter is all but here I want to give this thread a bump, so lets hear where you like to head for trips in the PNW during the winter months!

Last winter I only made it out once, but I'd like to get out more this year. At the moment I'm looking into possible trips to the John Day area and maybe the Alvord Desert. Anyone been to either place and have suggestions for camping during the winter months?

Here's a couple of pictures for my trip last Jan. to Bull Prairie Lake in Oregon. Not much snow at the time and temps weren't too bad with the low around 22 if I remember.
BPL1.jpg
BPL3.jpg
BPL2.jpg

Reactions: Shahn and Ceg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
What's everyone's favorite trip (off road not vacation) to take during the winter months in the NW, day trip or overnight?

With winter setting in a lot of the trails and FS roads will be getting closed due to snow so I'm curious if people just plan to hunker down for the winter or still make it out for some adventure. And if you do head out in the winter where do you go in the NW? Last winter I never made it out since my WJ was in pieces from Nov. to March, but this years projects shouldn't involve it being down that long so I'd like to get in a cold weather trip or two. Any ideas or suggestions around the NW it could be a day trip, cold camping or even just a Christmas tree run.
Great discussion topic!

I am no PNW expert, however I really love the desert landscapes in the winter. So sticking to the lower elevations in the winter might be it.
I have been using google earth to do some recon along the Columbia River and some of the foothills looking for potential spots.

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the dirt roads in the central and eastern desert get slick as snot in the winter due to rain and elevated water tables. Much of that area use to be sea bottom.

We were in the John Day area last month. Very pretty area. Be sure to stop at the Painted Hills and Thomas Condon Visitors Center at the John Day Fossil Bed National Monument. There Dayville restaurant has good food.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Great discussion topic!

I am no PNW expert, however I really love the desert landscapes in the winter. So sticking to the lower elevations in the winter might be it.
I have been using google earth to do some recon along the Columbia River and some of the foothills looking for potential spots.
I've been doing a lot of the same with searching different mapping apps for possible places to go. I think sticking to some of the river basins is a good idea for better weather, but at the same time I like a little snow

Reactions: Shahn and PNW EXPLR

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the dirt roads in the central and eastern desert get slick as snot in the winter due to rain and elevated water tables. Much of that area use to be sea bottom.

We were in the John Day area last month. Very pretty area. Be sure to stop at the Painted Hills and Thomas Condon Visitors Center at the John Day Fossil Bed National Monument. There Dayville restaurant has good food.
Thanks for the heads up on places to check out around John Day! I've noticed there is a few hot springs in the area, might be fun to mix in some of those. Any good camp spots you found down there?

Reactions: Shahn

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm going to be out of town Fri/Sat this weekend or I'd be interested in tagging along. That area is pretty close to us in the Tri Cities, but I've never been there other than driving through on the highway. If you make it over head up north of Vantage on the east side of the river and check out the ancient lakes area, not much for off road trails but there is some nice scenery and hiking trails. Not sure if they are still open but you can check out the Green Dot roads in the Whiskey Dick area near Vantage also but on the west side of the river.

@Ceg was up at Saddle mountain just a couple weeks ago, he might know what is still open around there.
If you go there he has a link for his write up on their trip and a video of the area.

LunarOne

Rank III

Enthusiast III

10620 58th Drive Northeast, Marysville, Washington 98270, United States
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Crowley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I'm going to be out of town Fri/Sat this weekend or I'd be interested in tagging along. That area is pretty close to us in the Tri Cities, but I've never been there other than driving through on the highway. If you make it over head up north of Vantage on the east side of the river and check out the ancient lakes area, not much for off road trails but there is some nice scenery and hiking trails. Not sure if they are still open but you can check out the Green Dot roads in the Whiskey Dick area near Vantage also but on the west side of the river.

@Ceg was up at Saddle mountain just a couple weeks ago, he might know what is still open around there.
If you go there he has a link for his write up on their trip and a video of the area.
Thank you!